A.gigus & Orithoporus sp.

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this thread is a week overdue.
I had purchased 3 A. gigus (African Gaint) plus 5 slings (that will be in another thread) From www.tarantulainc.com
They are great to deal with. And about to get another T from them this coming week.
I had been wanting these giant beauties for a along while, like a years or so.
Now i have them. But I want and need more.

Here are the 3 A. gigus. The Biggest one is about 8 inches and the smallest one it lil over 7 inches and about close to a size of a quarter in thickness.
and you can see the the size difference thickness with the A. gigus compared to the Orithoporus sp. of Az.

Here is the Orithoporus sp. from Az.
this one is about 6 inches and close to 1/3 inch in thickness, give or take.

Now I do have another type of a milli, a Phillipine plated species. I don't know the Latin name. I have 2 of them, hoping to get a colony of them soon. But I will see if I can get more or not.
I will have pix of this species soon, hopefully.

I loves these two species looking at getting more millis this spring, but only time will tell.

Now i do have a question, how can to tell apart males from feamles with the A. gigus millies or any millies at that.

thanks for ya time of looking
take care
Redknee

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
tarantulainc.com you mean? :)

nice millis, i'm jealous lol

although I don't know that you would want to advertise who you got them from...USDA or FDA or something has a ban of sorts on non-native mantids and millipedes, although the exact details/loopholes (if any) I'm not sure of. I think importing them is illegal, not sure how it works once they're in the US,

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually i didn't have them imported, they were bought here in the US.

But thanks for the info

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Actually i didn't have them imported, they were bought here in the US.

But thanks for the info
What edesign is saying is YOU may have bought them here, but that is not necessarily where they originated. It's actually kinda rude I think to blurt out to the world where things come from. I would hope you don't do that when purchasing from individuals.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
tarantulainc.com you mean? :)

nice millis, i'm jealous lol

although I don't know that you would want to advertise who you got them from...USDA or FDA or something has a ban of sorts on non-native mantids and millipedes, although the exact details/loopholes (if any) I'm not sure of. I think importing them is illegal, not sure how it works once they're in the US,
What edesign is saying is YOU may have bought them here, but that is not necessarily where they originated. It's actually kinda rude I think to blurt out to the world where things come from. I would hope you don't do that when purchasing from individuals.

so it is rude to tell what store or business you purchased something from? lol, i hadn't heard that particular point of etiquette before.

i would say the burden is on tarantulainc to make sure they are selling a legal inventory. it is a poor business that unwittingly sells illegal products! it is a VERY poor store that gets you raided by the gooberment and gets your farking collection seized!

Last edited:

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Who do i call to Snitch!!!LOL jk aslong as i get an A. Bicolor. Man I can see holding a tarantula. but those are sick. How big do they get.? and cant they Bite?

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
i would say the burden is on tarantulainc to make sure they are selling a legal inventory. it is a poor business that unwittingly sells illegal products! it is a VERY poor store that gets you raided by the gooberment and gets your farking collection seized!
Maybe rude is too strong? How about at least bad form? Quasi-legality is a part of the world we live in. In california, "diplopoda" not differentiating between native and non-native, are listed under beneficial insects of California, with no restrictions to buy, sell, or trade ......but Federally they are illegal. Same situation as Medical Mary Jane. Are we talking about the right or lack thereof of the federal government to supress will of the states here---not really the topic of discussion. But on the level of drawing unecessary attention to people (ie. the hobby, not a retail store) who in the grand scheme of things are not hurting anyone and enjoying a peaceful pastime of collecting docile invertebrates, I say it is at the very least bad form.

so it is rude to tell what store or business you purchased something from? lol, i hadn't heard that particular point of etiquette before. !
Not usually.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe rude is too strong? How about at least bad form? Quasi-legality is a part of the world we live in. In california, "diplopoda" not differentiating between native and non-native, are listed under beneficial insects of California, with no restrictions to buy, sell, or trade ......but Federally they are illegal. Same situation as Medical Mary Jane. Are we talking about the right or lack thereof of the federal government to supress will of the states here---not really the topic of discussion. But on the level of drawing unecessary attention to people (ie. the hobby, not a retail store) who in the grand scheme of things are not hurting anyone and enjoying a peaceful pastime of collecting docile invertebrates, I say it is at the very least bad form.
maybe you should use smaller words, cuz you still don't make any sense to me.

redknee was NOT told by the company that he needed to take any special care with his contraband inverts. further, to my way of thinking he is only doing them a favor by letting other hobbyists know where he got bugs that he is happy with.

now, if tinc sold them completely under the counter complete with warnings about the potential trouble for a hobbyist caught with contraband and redknee still posted i might sort of agree with you... but fact of the matter is tinc is breaking the law and setting up innocent hobbyists to potentially take a BAD fall!

as a complete aside, i think the laws banning assassins, mills, etc are completely idiotic... but that doesn't change them one iota ;)

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
See this is the reason why I don't make posts on here very often, people like you fantasticp always ruins things for others.
Hey i didn't make this thread to be bashed or even to get into any debate with anyone.
Why can i say who I had gotten them from. If you think9ing about, it's fee advertising right. Well you tell me have you ever purchased anything in your life , invert or not that you liked so much that you even told them where you had gotten them for, or if you purchased something that was on sale or something of that sort and told someone where to get that good deal at.
Now that sounds like free advertising to me, hmmmm.
Plus if this was so wrong why tdo the people who created any forums has a place for dealer/seller reviews, isn't a review in a way of advertising.

Look I don't wanna start and junk on here or anywhere, i just want to came to a place to learn about inverts and see how others have thier setups , you know ask questions. And even try out other's past experience from my own.

All i ask is if you don't have anything to nice to say, keep it to your self and leave me ALONE.
I want to be able to post things without being bashed or something ok

Thanks for ya time and have a good day
Red

PS forgive me for going on and on , but it's just how i feel and if zI am out of line, any of the Adms will notify me and I will make my wrong to right.

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Who do i call to Snitch!!!LOL jk aslong as i get an A. Bicolor. Man I can see holding a tarantula. but those are sick. How big do they get.? and cant they Bite?
LOL sichk ehhh
nah they are bad at all, they are docile and they do nibble abit looking for food.
I never kept these before so i don't know too much of them as of yet.
All I know is they sure do have an appetite, always eating

Does anyone else have kept or currently keeping these that eats all the time.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Hey i didn't make this thread to be bashed or even to get into any debate with anyone.
Why can i say who I had gotten them from. If you think9ing about, it's fee advertising right. Well you tell me have you ever purchased anything in your life , invert or not that you liked so much that you even told them where you had gotten them for, or if you purchased something that was on sale or something of that sort and told someone where to get that good deal at.
Hey, I wasn't trying to start anything. I just agreed with edesign and defended my point. I am not saying don't post. I'm not saying don't post about millipedes, or mantids or whatever. I'm not saying don't take 50 pictures with you smiling and pointing at your millipede in front of today's paper. I am just saying that it isn't the best idea to name names if you truly like millipedes and want to be able to find them again and again in the future.

<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
See this is the reason why I don't make posts on here very often, people like you fantasticp always ruins things for others.
And for the record, if you peruse my prior posts, you will see rarely do I even make an angry statement about anything. I generally only give information. Try not to label people so quickly.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
gee...this got blown WAY out of proportion.

redknee...it wouldn't hurt to at least be aware of the rules and regulations regarding the creatures you keep. fantastic was merely trying to point out what i meant in my first post because you missed it so don't go bashing her for trying to enlighten you. If you get that offended that easy I hate to see how you are in real life...

I merely said what I said because AGB's are hard to find (for me anyway...) since the feds decided to start enforcing certain regulations and rules regarding millis and mantis'. I don't want to see anyone get caught up in any legal problems. tinc does NOT have them listed on their website (nor have hardly any other dealers since this ban started to be enforced) which to me means that they are selling them "under the table" so to speak OR they just didn't have enough inventory to put them on the stock list before they sold out.

i agree with caco that it should be the dealer's responsibility to sell legal products to customers and that if they should decide to do some "under the table" selling on creatures that aren't legal, they should be smart enough to tell the customer not to mention where they got them from if they want to stay off the radar. You could have just posted the pic and talked about your newly acquired millis and let people PM or email you to find out where they came from. Normally posting where you got something is fine when it concerns nonregulated creatures like T's and scorpions...but when you're talking about a species that is currently banned it's a different story. Follow me? Remember...loose lips sink ships.

Regardless...redknee, in case you missed it when it first came to light you might want to punch "millipede" and/or "mantis ban" in to the forum search engine (search the myriapod forum of course) and look for the multiple page thread talking about this issue. From what I recall...owning them is illegal as well but not nearly as likely to earn a visit from the federal agency that protects us from these "pests" as would selling them.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Well...unless a company hooks me up with some good discounts or has superb customer service, I don't see any reason to give out free advertising because I'm getting nothing in return. Like the people who drive all over with the license plate frames and stickers on the back of the vehicles showing who they bought it from. WHY? Did they get it at cost? Were they guaranteed in writing a free leather upgrade if they bought their next car from them? Or are they just too lazy to remove the stuff? ;) What makes them feel like they should advertise for free? They're not getting a commission check on any sales made after the day they purchased the vehicle. :?

Plus if this was so wrong why tdo the people who created any forums has a place for dealer/seller reviews, isn't a review in a way of advertising.
It is...if the dealer/seller has consistently good reviews. If not...they don't get as much business. It's not exactly advertising, that would be like calling the BBB a free advertising bureau which it is not. It is a resource for people to find out how well a business treats its customers prior to using them. Writing a positive review about someone in a dealer/seller review forum is not advertising...posting all over the forum about how great that person was to deal with IS. See the difference?

Look I don't wanna start and junk on here or anywhere, i just want to came to a place to learn about inverts and see how others have thier setups , you know ask questions. And even try out other's past experience from my own.
you have found it :) but along with that also comes opposing viewpoints and what not that you may not agree with...just like every time you step outside of your home and interact with the other people in this world.

All i ask is if you don't have anything to nice to say, keep it to your self and leave me ALONE.
I want to be able to post things without being bashed or something ok
So you want to feel warm and fuzzy 24/7? I think fantasy land is only at a select few locations in the world...namely at Disney theme parks. The rest of us live in reality on Earth and realize that not everything is going to feel good or be positive...if you can't handle both sides of the razor you might consider not using it. Anytime you open your mouth or otherwise make a public statement, you are inviting anyone else listening/reading to give their own opinion (unless you're a dictator lol). They might agree, they might not...it's a risk you take.

PS forgive me for going on and on , but it's just how i feel and if zI am out of line, any of the Adms will notify me and I will make my wrong to right.
that's not rambling and going on and on! :D I didn't even have to scroll to read your entire post lol and I don't see anything here that the admins will get in a huff about...so long as it stays civil :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Really now lol
yes...really. She makes a very valid point and it is exactly what I was trying to get at. Whether you comprehend that point or not is something that is up to you. And apparently you don't comprehend it :(

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
gee...this got blown WAY out of proportion.

redknee...it wouldn't hurt to at least be aware of the rules and regulations regarding the creatures you keep. fantastic was merely trying to point out what i meant in my first post because you missed it so don't go bashing her for trying to enlighten you. If you get that offended that easy I hate to see how you are in real life...

I merely said what I said because AGB's are hard to find (for me anyway...) since the feds decided to start enforcing certain regulations and rules regarding millis and mantis'. I don't want to see anyone get caught up in any legal problems. tinc does NOT have them listed on their website (nor have hardly any other dealers since this ban started to be enforced) which to me means that they are selling them "under the table" so to speak OR they just didn't have enough inventory to put them on the stock list before they sold out.

i agree with caco that it should be the dealer's responsibility to sell legal products to customers and that if they should decide to do some "under the table" selling on creatures that aren't legal, they should be smart enough to tell the customer not to mention where they got them from if they want to stay off the radar. You could have just posted the pic and talked about your newly acquired millis and let people PM or email you to find out where they came from. Normally posting where you got something is fine when it concerns nonregulated creatures like T's and scorpions...but when you're talking about a species that is currently banned it's a different story. Follow me? Remember...loose lips sink ships.

Regardless...redknee, in case you missed it when it first came to light you might want to punch "millipede" and/or "mantis ban" in to the forum search engine (search the myriapod forum of course) and look for the multiple page thread talking about this issue. From what I recall...owning them is illegal as well but not nearly as likely to earn a visit from the federal agency that protects us from these "pests" as would selling them.

I don't get offended that easily, it's your choice if you beleive it or not.

I reacted cuz she said something of me being rude of some sort.

in all actuality, I wasn't even sure if I was being bashed or not, simply cuz i know nothing about Fant. So I was just stating if she didn't have anything nice to say don't say it (due to the rude statement she made)

Now wouldn't it been better to pm me to inform me about something I may not be aware of.

Now I admitt i might of have been overboard with this. You just don't know how often I get comments that wasn't too pleasant on some of my posts like with scorpions (that's another story)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I don't get offended that easily, it's your choice if you beleive it or not.
could have fooled me :D

I reacted cuz she said something of me being rude of some sort.
if you thought that was rude you must have taken it the wrong way. What happens when someone tells you you did something wrong at work? Do you get in a fuss and tell them not to be rude and instead to sugarcoat it so it doesn't hurt? Nothing wrong with criticism when it is warranted.

Now wouldn't it been better to pm me to inform me about something I may not be aware of.
no, because this way other people who read this post who are considering getting AGB's or other species that are currently covered by this ban will be aware of it in case they never saw the other large thread concerning it. There's no sticky at the top of the forum concerning that issue either so unless someone pipes up and makes them aware of it...they'll never know. This forum is an informational resource last I checked, and what I posted was just that...pertinent information..

Now I admitt i might of have been overboard with this. You just don't know how often I get comments that wasn't too pleasant on some of my posts like with scorpions (that's another story)
can't say I do, don't read the scorpion forum much since getting rid of the last ones I had. But if you get a lot of comments that are rude either you're misunderstanding people or you're doing something to invite them...but that's neither here nor there in this thread :)

getting back to the topic ... what size tank are you keeping those in? How's the food consumption rate?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i'll admit to an error, i did just find the AGB's on tinc's website. Price list...not picture list lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just deleted way too many posts here. Please, if you see a post that is out of hand, report it instead of responding to it. :)

Either stay on-topic (or close to it) or take it to PM.

Becca

Last edited:

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I was trying to stay on topic about the ban and how he keeps them, I'm still curious what size tank they are in and how much food that group eats.

btw...at what point is it "too many posts"? Is there a balance point where it's "just the right amount of posts"? :D