A.gigus & Orithoporus sp.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
oh...and redknee...i HIGHLY suggest you read the following link since I doubt you took the time to look for the thread I suggested earlier...this is not that thread, but is an example. THIS is exactly the reason that fantastic and myself were wanting you to be quiet about who you got them from:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=72275&highlight=stick+insect

It's not about millis...but they are covered under the exact same regulations and the same thing can happen to you. Sorry to post such negative stuff but I prefer to accept what is fact and deal with it instead of hide from something that isn't fuzzy and cuddly and get blindsided.

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that link was useful ,thanks

I understand that things don't always appear as that could be seen.
my thing was you kept on. Even thought I thought it was funny how you picked aprt my replys

All and all, i do apologized for my actions.
I could of handled it in a better way, my day was havoc yesterday.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
glad you found it useful :) And I figured you were having a bad day...I have had plenty of them myself.

Picking apart/dissecting replies is merely an organized way in which to respond to someone's reply. Whether the poster WANTS someone to reply to them doesn't matter...if it's posted it's fair game for replies (unless locked of course :D). If you search back through some of my posts...especially political ones in the WH...you'll see that I, as well as quite a few others, do it quite often. It makes it much easier to keep track of who is responding to what rather than writing a 4-10 paragraph that addresses all the points of the previous poster(s) in one big lump of words.

Glad you decided to stick around! Just try to relax a little bit :razz:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How about getting back on track? :razz:

Now i do have a question, how can to tell apart males from feamles with the A. gigus millies or any millies at that.
Redknee, here's a link I keep posting in the myriapods forum whenever someone asks about sexing. It's a photo of male A. gigas gonopods. They're the modified pair of appendages on the sixth segment where a female would have otherwise normal legs. I hope this helps.

In some millipede species, the gonopods are internal, and all you'll see is a gap in the legs in the case of males.

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice millies, I've owned them and all they do is eat, eat, eat! They are kinda sloppy eaters too. But be careful when you hold them they can stain your hand brownish purple.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If that's A. gigas doing the staining, the agent is benzoquinone, a powerful oxidizer that is secreted as a defense measure. They usually only secrete it when stressed (but some stress really easy when others are the most laid-back pedes you'll come across). I'd suggest washing your hands after such a staining as the substance is slightly toxic.

Washing may result in a more purple stain than if you hadn't washed, looking a little like a blood blister. Also pass word on to little kids doing the handling that they should wash their hands, too.

Sorry if I went into BugZoo mode there :D.