A. Gigas Growth

Halezii95

Arachnopeon
I just received an A. Gigas in the mail. The shop told me she was born in 2019. I have another A. Gigas (Oliver) who has been in my care about 2 years. The difference in size is huge! I am unsure how old Oliver was when he came to me but he was about 1.5- 2 inches the day I brought him home. Two years later and Oliver isn't nearing the same size as the new one. I'm concerned that I have dropped the ball somewhere nutritionally or regarding his environment. He is currently molting so I'll have a look when he is finished but I am at a loss. I considered that maybe he wasn't the species they said he was but he looks like A. Gigas to me. Are there many variants in size within the species? Also, how large should I expect my millies to be at different stages in life? Is size a good determination for age?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I just received an A. Gigas in the mail. The shop told me she was born in 2019. I have another A. Gigas (Oliver) who has been in my care about 2 years. The difference in size is huge! I am unsure how old Oliver was when he came to me but he was about 1.5- 2 inches the day I brought him home. Two years later and Oliver isn't nearing the same size as the new one. I'm concerned that I have dropped the ball somewhere nutritionally or regarding his environment. He is currently molting so I'll have a look when he is finished but I am at a loss. I considered that maybe he wasn't the species they said he was but he looks like A. Gigas to me. Are there many variants in size within the species? Also, how large should I expect my millies to be at different stages in life? Is size a good determination for age?
Can you send me a picture? I’ve seen “Ebony” Chicobolus spinigerus sold as A. Gigas to scam potential buyers into paying a premium price, not saying that’s the case but I’d love to see what you’re working with. Also a comparison of the size difference would be great too.

Halezii95

Arachnopeon
I can’t provide side by side size comparison yet as Oliver is molting, however, here is something fairly recent before molting. Photos inside enclosure are of the new millipede said to be born in 2019. The rest are Oliver I’ve had since 2018. @MadMilli

Attachments

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I can’t provide side by side size comparison yet as Oliver is molting, however, here is something fairly recent before molting. Photos inside enclosure are of the new millipede said to be born in 2019. The rest are Oliver I’ve had since 2018. @MadMilli
Oliver looks to be correctly identified as Archispirostreptus gigas but he is quite compactly shaped for two years old in my opinion. I would think he’d be gaining some length at this point. My gigas were about 2 inches when I brought them home at a year old, so you have to figure that Oliver is approximately 3 years old. Are you offering decaying oak leaves and soft decaying wood on the surface of the substrate?

Halezii95

Arachnopeon
Oliver looks to be correctly identified as Archispirostreptus gigas but he is quite compactly shaped for two years old in my opinion. I would think he’d be gaining some length at this point. My gigas were about 2 inches when I brought them home at a year old, so you have to figure that Oliver is approximately 3 years old. Are you offering decaying oak leaves and soft decaying wood on the surface of the substrate?
I am currently. This is a new development though as I was apprehensive about collecting leaves and sterilizing them myself. Admittedly, I kept him improperly most of the first year he was with me.... in the dreaded cocofibre. Well rounded substrate now WITH hardwood leaves. As soon as he is out and about, he’s getting a milliemansion (10 gal tank). Quite the remodel. Maybe this will help him. I plan to supplement calcium as well (ground cuttle).

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I am having trouble loading the images (in an area with poor internet connection), so I'll chime in if need be in a bit.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Photos inside enclosure are of the new millipede said to be born in 2019.
Looking at the size of the new specimen, I HIGHLY doubt that it was born in 2019. These guys grow very slowly, and unless the pet store has an amazing & well-known reputation, I am skeptical of their claim. I believe that the pet store is either guessing about its age or that they received the specimen in 2019.

Halezii95

Arachnopeon
Looking at the size of the new specimen, I HIGHLY doubt that it was born in 2019. These guys grow very slowly, and unless the pet store has an amazing & well-known reputation, I am skeptical of their claim. I believe that the pet store is either guessing about its age or that they received the specimen in 2019.
How old would you guess she is judging by her size?

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I am currently. This is a new development though as I was apprehensive about collecting leaves and sterilizing them myself. Admittedly, I kept him improperly most of the first year he was with me.... in the dreaded cocofibre. Well rounded substrate now WITH hardwood leaves. As soon as he is out and about, he’s getting a milliemansion (10 gal tank). Quite the remodel. Maybe this will help him. I plan to supplement calcium as well (ground cuttle).
I’m sure he’ll catch up then! A. gigas only survive on decaying hardwood and leaves basically, much less dependent on supplemental foods. It’s something about the nutrients 😀