A. Geniculate tank set up

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
Hey, I’ve recently put my A. Genic into an exo Terra I plan to make bio active soon with plants and spring tails but I’ve heard of fall issues and leg issues I kinda wanna see what other peoples opinions on it is so what do u guys think? she’s over four inches I’d say 4 and a quarter inch leg span.

Attachments

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Could you explain a bit more about leg issues? Do you mean the mesh top because that's definitely a hazard to rectify when using these enclosures.

It looks like you've done your best to minimise the fall height which is good, although it's hard to say if it's enough from just this photo

Dorifto

He who moists xD
This pic needs to come out every time someone posts saying "I've heard this happens... But does it really?" i.e i can't be bothered to fix my enclosure
And after posting it still people questions it, saying that if it only happens few times... You only need one incident to be fatal.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Hey, I’ve recently put my A. Genic into an exo Terra I plan to make bio active soon with plants and spring tails but I’ve heard of fall issues and leg issues I kinda wanna see what other peoples opinions on it is so what do u guys think? she’s over four inches I’d say 4 and a quarter inch leg span.
You’re gonna get pretty much the same answer from everyone on a few keys points. The mesh top and the height of the enclosure. There should be no more than 1.5 times her legs span from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure (so if that’s higher than 6 inches, just add more substrate) because you’re right about the falling, and like Dorifto said, once is all you need.
I like the aesthetic though 😁

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@James Mullally - Do the RIGHT thing.

a terrestrial should have no more than 1.5x DLS from sub to lid to prevent fall death.

I keep all my terrestrials in ExoTerra Breeder Boxes, Large

And after posting it still people questions it, saying that if it only happens few times... You only need one incident to be fatal.
that’s because of the following reasons

1. they are Stupid
2. Lazy
3. Trivialize the life of a “lesser” animal

I wonder if those same people wouldn’t use seatbelts with their kids. After all based on their “few times logic” they have no reason to treat them any differently.

Last edited:

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
Could you explain a bit more about leg issues? Do you mean the mesh top because that's definitely a hazard to rectify when using these enclosures.

It looks like you've done your best to minimise the fall height which is good, although it's hard to say if it's enough from just this photo
The leg thing is the mesh, is it possible to replace it with anything better? Here’s a measurement I took.

Attachments

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
You’re gonna get pretty much the same answer from everyone on a few keys points. The mesh top and the height of the enclosure. There should be no more than 1.5 times her legs span from the top of the substrate to the top of the enclosure (so if that’s higher than 6 inches, just add more substrate) because you’re right about the falling, and like Dorifto said, once is all you need.
I like the aesthetic though 😁
Thank you I replied to someone with this photo but I’ll send it in here too just in case you don’t see it. Also by 1.5 times her height would that be 4.25” by 1.5? In that case it should be fine unless I’m wrong about it which I have a feeling I am. Also thank you I’m planning on having live plants in there soon and hopefully that’ll be a good solution too in case she falls from the highest point a plant may cushion the landing although I feel like relying on that is a bit negligent of the overall issue. Also thank you I like the aesthetic too I was thinking in my head for days what I should do with it haha 😁

Attachments

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
@James Mullally - Do the RIGHT thing.

a terrestrial should have no more than 1.5x DLS from sub to lid to prevent fall death.

I keep all my terrestrials in ExoTerra Breeder Boxes, Large

that’s because of the following reasons

1. they are Stupid
2. Lazy
3. Trivialize the life of a “lesser” animal

I wonder if those same people wouldn’t use seatbelts with their kids. After all based on their “few times logic” they have no reason to treat them any differently.
I’m tryna do the right thing it’s why I asked for peoples opinions and I appreciate everyone who pointed out flaws and showed what was wrong with some of the enclosure. I had her in a box and she started to out grow it and I wanted to put her in an exo Terra as a good display tank to show her off if things are too bad and she’s not large enough I’ll move her back to her old enclosure.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Replace the mesh with a plastic sheet drilled with holes.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Thank you I replied to someone with this photo but I’ll send it in here too just in case you don’t see it. Also by 1.5 times her height would that be 4.25” by 1.5? In that case it should be fine unless I’m wrong about it which I have a feeling I am. Also thank you I’m planning on having live plants in there soon and hopefully that’ll be a good solution too in case she falls from the highest point a plant may cushion the landing although I feel like relying on that is a bit negligent of the overall issue. Also thank you I like the aesthetic too I was thinking in my head for days what I should do with it haha 😁
Haha I think the photo is just playing tricks on my eyes. Is the top of the substrate right at 2 inches and it's just wet?? Either way, 7 inches is a little over the max height you'd want that space to be. Playing with the enclosure aesthetic is one of my favorite parts of t owning, so I feel you there. Live plants in enclosures is so cool looking.

And yeah, hoping that they'll cushion a fall is not an encouraged failsafe haha

Those enclosures are really attractive to look at, but the general statement is that if you're limited to that specific amount of substrate because of where the doors are situated, you're gambling with your girl's safety should that be too high.

I'd make sure the substrate is dry except in the spot where her water dish is, and that'll encourage her to stay off the walls (and that is ENTIRELY from my own experience with my g. porteri, so take that recommendation only as you think it could apply to your t. Mine only climbs when the substrate is damp.)

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Haha I think the photo is just playing tricks on my eyes. Is the top of the substrate right at 2 inches and it's just wet?? Either way, 7 inches is a little over the max height you'd want that space to be. Playing with the enclosure aesthetic is one of my favorite parts of t owning, so I feel you there. Live plants in enclosures is so cool looking.

Those enclosures are really attractive to look at, but the general statement is that if you're limited to that specific amount of substrate because of where the doors are situated, you're gambling with your girl's safety should that be too high.

I'd make sure the substrate is dry except in the spot where her water dish is, and that'll encourage her to stay off the walls (and that is ENTIRELY from my own experience with my g. porteri, so take that recommendation only as you think it could apply to your t. Mine only climbs when the substrate is damp.)
Do genics not like a bit of moist substrate? I know G. Porteri despise it

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
See, thank you, I have no doubt that you're probably right, I had no idea how that would apply to other t's. I don't own an a. genic, but the majority of my t's avoid damp substrate (aside from my g. pulchra and a. seemanni) so as a general rule, I just provide them all a damp section where they can chill if they so choose. My go-to: If they're hanging out on the walls, let the sub dry and see if they come down. If they're hanging out by their water dish, dampen more sub.

James Mullally

Arachnosquire

Sorry it starts on the one haha the 2 is the top of the cork hide haha. Yeah it’s a bit steep I’m gonna get some moss and plants that should raise the floor and act as a cushion.
I love customising the look of enclosures it’s Very therapeutic haha.
I think you might be right about the floor being too wet the substrate was wet when I put it into the enclosure and a give it a slight mist when I was filling her water bowl the dampness might have encouraged her to climb I think that’s something to keep in mind for my next rehousing.
And I agree they’re great enclosures but Damn I learned they have nasty flaws.

Edit: I noticed her making her way to the mesh but I coaxed her Down with a cricket. I’m gonna replace the mesh tomorrow although I’m not sure what to use to stick it in place I think glue might be harmful and I’m not if tape would hold it well.

Last edited:

James Mullally

Arachnosquire
I’ve heard of people keeping them almost bone dry and just a full water dish but it most likely isn’t ideal for them and they can just put up with it because they’re a fairly hardy species.(at least in my opinion they are)

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Sorry it starts on the one haha the 2 is the top of the cork hide haha. Yeah it’s a bit steep I’m gonna get some moss and plants that should raise the floor and act as a cushion.
I love customising the look of enclosures it’s Very therapeutic haha.
I think you might be right about the floor being too wet the substrate was wet when I put it into the enclosure and a give it a slight mist when I was filling her water bowl the dampness might have encouraged her to climb I think that’s something to keep in mind for my next rehousing.
And I agree they’re great enclosures but Damn I learned they have nasty flaws.

Edit: I noticed her making her way to the mesh but I coaxed her Down with a cricket. I’m gonna replace the mesh tomorrow although I’m not sure what to use to stick it in place I think glue might be harmful and I’m not if tape would hold it well.
Therapeutic is exactly the word hahaha Other than rehousing, which is about the equivalent of skydiving to me, t owning in general is therapeutic! :angelic:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m tryna do the right thing it’s why I asked for peoples opinions and I appreciate everyone who pointed out flaws and showed what was wrong with some of the enclosure. I had her in a box and she started to out grow it and I wanted to put her in an exo Terra as a good display tank to show her off if things are too bad and she’s not large enough I’ll move her back to her old enclosure.
You can replace mesh with acrylic- THEN tip tank on back so doors open up! Then you can fill with more sub no need to buy another setup, stil have a display tank