A. Geniculata

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Just got an A. Geniculata sling. A friend bought it for me at petco (not a huge fan of that) so she was in one of those terrible tarantula huts. First thing I did was move her to some moist substrate and she looked a lot happier to be there but now she's buried straight into it. I'm thinking she's about to molt. Black spot on the abdomen and sluggishness has me thinking molt. How can I ease this molt for it? She was just relocated and now she needs to molt so I'm worried the stress might be too much. She's only 2nd instar as well. I was shocked to see a sling so small. Spoke to one of the employees and she said they weren't supposed to be shipping that small. I'm just worried for this little one. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Post a pic if you can, this always help. Anyway they are very easy to care and quite hardy, so don't worry too much.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Make sure it has access to some water, then give it a few days and offer it some food. Otherwise leave it alone. Proper enclosure and setup, food, and water. After that it's best to let them do their thing. Right now I'd say your new T is acting normal.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
You are going to have a monster with a monster appetite. My female is a good example of what they are like, defensive, always ready to feed, hardy.

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm not sure that what you are describing really sounds like premolt. Tarantulas that are about to molt don't have a black spot, but a completely black abdomen. A black spot could also just be the spot of urticating hair. I'd suggest you try feeding in a day or two, and prekilled prey would probably be a good option.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure that what you are describing really sounds like premolt. Tarantulas that are about to molt don't have a black spot, but a completely black abdomen. A black spot could also just be the spot of urticating hair. I'd suggest you try feeding in a day or two, and prekilled prey would probably be a good option.
Thanks. I tried feeding prekilled today but No success. I'll try in another day or two

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
I went to feed my lady the other day and it missed the roach at the end of the tongs and nearly jumped out of the top of the cage. She's perpetually hangry.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
First off, great score :)

When my genic was a teeny tiny sling, I kept the sub damp like you have done and it took about 2 days to eat after I rehoused it. Next time you feed it, try a cricket leg and leave it in there for a day. I agree with @boina about the black spot most likely being the hair.
http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/slings.35840/
If the spot is anything like the two slings in the middle row, then it is the hairs.

As for the sluggishness, Well my guess is it could just be the temperature where it was kept. My smallest are slow slow slow the few times it drops down to the mid 60s in my house. Also how does the abdomen look? Fat, thin?

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
First off, great score :)

When my genic was a teeny tiny sling, I kept the sub damp like you have done and it took about 2 days to eat after I rehoused it. Next time you feed it, try a cricket leg and leave it in there for a day. I agree with @boina about the black spot most likely being the hair.
http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/slings.35840/
If the spot is anything like the two slings in the middle row, then it is the hairs.

As for the sluggishness, Well my guess is it could just be the temperature where it was kept. My smallest are slow slow slow the few times it drops down to the mid 60s in my house. Also how does the abdomen look? Fat, thin?
She is quite fat right now so we shall see in a couple of days. She's still pretty light in color but she's a lot more lively this morning. I really wish the PETCO people would house the slings better. They'd have a lot more success in keeping them alive and well.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
She is quite fat right now so we shall see in a couple of days. She's still pretty light in color but she's a lot more lively this morning. I really wish the PETCO people would house the slings better. They'd have a lot more success in keeping them alive and well.
Glad to hear that it's doing well! Since it's a fatty I'm guessing that it just isn't hungry and might be starting to get ready for a molt. At this size, mine would molt once a month!

Petco is just... Petco. :( every time I see a tarantula in one of those stupid houses I want to buy it just to get it out of there. Hopefully one day Petco will learn how to house them better, as well as offering warnings about the potent oldworlds they have on their list of T's they sell.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Make sure she has access to water and let her settle in. Try offering her food in a few more days till she eats.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
She was definitely in premolt. haven't seen her in a few days. Regular misting to keep the enclosures humid.went to check on her today since I hadn't seen her since i made the post and found her mid molt. i was super careful not to touch her. Hopefully all goes well. Ill probably check on her in a day or so and see how she's doing.