A. geniculata vs N. chromatus for a 2nd pet tarantula

A. geniculata vs N. chromatus for 2nd tarantula

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I made a poll almost a month ago asking the question whether an A. geniculata or a C. cyaneopubescens would be a better pet tarantula for me. The A. geniculata narrowly won with 12 votes (including my own, since I was originally leaning A. geniculata) & 8 for the GBB. I am now however leaning towards a GBB for a first tarantula because it'll take up less space (they get 5-6" dls vs 7-8" dls for the A. geniculata so I'd need a bigger terrarium) they're absolutely gorgeous (one of the prettiest NW Ts) and I know at least 2 dealers that have 3 1/2" confirmed female specimens for sale. That all being the case, A. geniculata is still under consideration for a tarantula I may want in the future and so is N. chromatus. They both have beautiful striped patterning on their legs. They both get fairly large (around 6-7" for the N. chromatus around 7-8" for the A. geniculata). They're both fairly hardy & are good eaters. They both can be a bit defensive & skittish from my understanding but usually w/ the Genic it can be chalked up to the voracious feeding response whereas the N. chromatus seems to be more legitimately defensive (or so I have heard). So, all of this being the case what do you guys think would make a better 2nd T (after a GBB) between the 2? I should also add I'd probably get a 1" or so sling. GBB will probably be confirmed female juvenile/sub-adult, but regardless of which I choose between these other 2 (or if I even go for a 2nd tarantula) I'll probably go for an unsexed sling.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
If forced to pick one I'd pick the chromatus, but that's purely because I love Nhandus. Both are fantastic options, so after you've done research here on the boards just get whichever one you actually desire the most (that's what is most important)... or get both if you really want both, and you're sure you'll have the space to accommodate two decently large tarantulas in the not too distant future (as both grow relatively quickly).
They both can be a bit defensive & skittish from my understanding but usually w/ the Genic it can be chalked up to the voracious feeding response whereas the N. chromatus seems to be more legitimately defensive (or so I have heard).
Both can be relatively skittish, and sometimes defensive when they feel provoked. Both are also prone to hair-kicking so keep that in mind. GL with the GBB when you feel ready to get one it's an awesome spider :)

Last edited:

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
If forced to pick one I'd pick the chromatus, but that's purely because I love Nhandus. Both are fantastic options, so after you've done research here on the boards just get whichever one you actually desire the most (that's what is most important)... or get both if you really want both, and you're sure you'll have the space to accommodate two decently large tarantulas in the not too distant future (as both grow relatively quickly).

Both can be relatively skittish, and sometimes defensive when they feel provoked. Both are also prone to hair-kicking so keep that in mind. GL with the GBB when you feel ready to get one it's an awesome spider :)
Yeah it's a tough one. Both have nice leg markings get big are hardy & have good appetites. A. geniculata 1" sling is only $42 and a 1" sling for the N. chromatus is $64 from the dealer I'm considering getting them from. A. geniculata gets a bit bigger (like an inch or 2 bigger on average) so may take a bit bigger of a terrarium but regardless they both get fairly large. Getting them as slings, despite their faster than average growth, will give me time to adjust though and I won't have to get a huge terrarium right away.

cold blood

Staff member
They both can be a bit defensive & skittish from my understanding but usually w/ the Genic it can be chalked up to the voracious feeding response whereas the N. chromatus seems to be more legitimately defensive
This just isn't true at all...in fact both ts are pretty much the same temperament wise....both have the same crazy feeding response.....neither is more defensive than the other and neither is more or less likely to flick hairs.

I'll probably go for an unsexed sling.
When dealing with fast growers, and both are fast growers, its, IMO, always best to buy small slings....

in fact, I will go further and say one should always buy multiples, as its just smarter and in the long run, a whole lot cheaper...multiples significantly increase your chances of a female...get that female and now you can sell the others....and even if they are males, they will be valued by breeders and you can buy 3 slings, sell the two that aren't male and make money selling the other two cheaply.

. A. geniculata 1" sling is only $42 and a 1" sling for the N. chromatus is $64
FWIW, keep looking...slings of either of these species should cost less than 20 bucks.....chromatus slings are often sold for under 10 bucks.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I'll definitely take that one under consideration as a 2nd T. Love the dark black coloration they have w/ the red carapace. They're (almost) as good looking as G. pulchra imo. Heard they're one of the faster growing species as far as Brachypelma/Tliltocatl are concerned, though also on the more feisty side of said genus(es). Not that that matters since A. geniculata & N. chromatus are a bit feisty too lol.

This just isn't true at all...in fact both ts are pretty much the same temperament wise....both have the same crazy feeding response.....neither is more defensive than the other and neither is more or less likely to flick hairs.

When dealing with fast growers, and both are fast growers, its, IMO, always best to buy small slings....

in fact, I will go further and say one should always buy multiples, as its just smarter and in the long run, a whole lot cheaper...multiples significantly increase your chances of a female...get that female and now you can sell the others....and even if they are males, they will be valued by breeders and you can buy 3 slings, sell the two that aren't male and make money selling the other two cheaply.

FWIW, keep looking...slings of either of these species should cost less than 20 bucks.....chromatus slings are often sold for under 10 bucks.
Really? I've heard both can be a bit finicky, but I think I've heard more people say the N. chromatus is a bit more defensive on average (key word there). Idk. I think it's always important to remember that temperament from specimen to specimen can vary. While rare, there's people with OBTs that are sweethearts and B. hamorii that are psycho. They're both gorgeous Ts, and I'd be fine with either. That's why I made this poll - to help me decide what the better 2nd T between the 2 would be, if I ever do decide to get more than just a GBB.

cold blood

Staff member
I think it's always important to remember that temperament from specimen to specimen can vary. While rare, there's people with OBTs that are sweethearts and B. hamorii that are psycho
Sure, that's fair to say....but keep in mind, my experiences aren't with one or two of each.....I have raised several dozen genics and literally hundreds of chromatus.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Sure, that's fair to say....but keep in mind, my experiences aren't with one or two of each.....I have raised several dozen genics and literally hundreds of chromatus.

Yeah, truth be told temperament probably isn't A LOT different between the 2. I reckon some Genics can be more defensive, some Chromatus can be more defensive. I wouldn't really know, having merely gone by what I've been told. You would since you've owned many of both. Which has the worse hairs? On the "Tarantula Collective" video "Top 10 Tarantulas w/ the WORST Urticating Hairs" he ranked N. chromatus #4 and the A. geniculata #3. C. cyaneopubescens he ranked #5. So basically, every tarantula I have under consideration has pretty bad hairs. That being said I'm not too concerned, as I won't exactly be sticking my face in the enclosure & I'd still rather deal with that than the potent venom of some OW species. I think it is worth taking into consideration which is worse even if they all 3 are pretty bad w/ regards to the hairs though. Granted, reactions to hairs can vary just as the temperament for the tarantula can so I know there can't really be a definitive answer.

lindale450

Arachnopeon
I made a poll almost a month ago asking the question whether an A. geniculata or a C. cyaneopubescens would be a better pet tarantula for me. The A. geniculata narrowly won with 12 votes (including my own, since I was originally leaning A. geniculata) & 8 for the GBB. I am now however leaning towards a GBB for a first tarantula because it'll take up less space (they get 5-6" dls vs 7-8" dls for the A. geniculata so I'd need a bigger terrarium) they're absolutely gorgeous (one of the prettiest NW Ts) and I know at least 2 dealers that have 3 1/2" confirmed female specimens for sale. That all being the case, A. geniculata is still under consideration for a tarantula I may want in the future and so is N. chromatus. They both have beautiful striped patterning on their legs. They both get fairly large (around 6-7" for the N. chromatus around 7-8" for the A. geniculata). They're both fairly hardy & are good eaters. They both can be a bit defensive & skittish from my understanding but usually w/ the Genic it can be chalked up to the voracious feeding response whereas the N. chromatus seems to be more legitimately defensive (or so I have heard). So, all of this being the case what do you guys think would make a better 2nd T (after a GBB) between the 2? I should also add I'd probably get a 1" or so sling. GBB will probably be confirmed female juvenile/sub-adult, but regardless of which I choose between these other 2 (or if I even go for a 2nd tarantula) I'll probably go for an unsexed sling.
If you’re anything like the rest of us you won’t have “just one” for long lol once you get into it what you want may very well change, When I got my first spiders I became quite fascinated by the tunnels that the little guys would dig and now have several fossorial spiders in my collection that I didn’t imagine myself getting before getting into keeping spiders

cold blood

Staff member
. Which has the worse hairs?
basically the same IME

On the "Tarantula Collective" video "Top 10 Tarantulas w/ the WORST Urticating Hairs" he ranked N. chromatus #4 and the A. geniculata #3. C. cyaneopubescens he ranked #5.
Such rankings are just dumb to me...purely subjective as hairs effect people differently....for example, the hairs that affect me the worst are A. avic....yet you will never in a million years hear people ever talk about Avic hairs....seriously, what did this guy do, put his face into a pile of each species hairs and blow? If its just in everyday encounters, it could simply be the ones he ranked lowest are the ones his body has encountered the least...you could ask 10 experienced keepers this question and get 10 different answers as each will have his/her own exposure experiences...here's an important fact.....bad reactions to hairs (I mean the worst reactions) come through extended contact/exposure to them...often the first few times it won't even be all that noticeable.
I won't exactly be sticking my face in the enclosure
Then I think you are fine with whatever you get. Generally speaking, the worst contact one will ever have with hairs will be either when unpacking them, or when re-housing them (or if someone is handling). With general everyday feedings, watering and spot cleaning, hairs aren't a big issue at all.

Zoopy

Arachnopeon
I only have my own limited experience to go on, but I got a Nhandu juvie on Sunday and I was not prepared for how defensive it is. It could also have just been stress, because the person I got it from kept it in really poor conditions (filthy enclosure, only about 3cm of substrate filled with earth worms, cockroaches and isopods), but rehoming it was more stressful than rehoming my P Irminia. I haven't been genuinely scared of any of my Ts, but I'm scared of that thing. It was threat posing and kicking hairs like that was its job and it was gunning for the employee of the month award.

Unlike most of my Ts, it also doesn't run away when I open the enclosure (excepting my G Pulchripes, but she barely counts because she's just a small cow with 8 legs).

I really hope the Geniculata sling doesn't grow up to be anything like the Nhandu.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
basically the same IME

Such rankings are just dumb to me...purely subjective as hairs effect people differently....for example, the hairs that affect me the worst are A. avic....yet you will never in a million years hear people ever talk about Avic hairs....seriously, what did this guy do, put his face into a pile of each species hairs and blow? If its just in everyday encounters, it could simply be the ones he ranked lowest are the ones his body has encountered the least...you could ask 10 experienced keepers this question and get 10 different answers as each will have his/her own exposure experiences...here's an important fact.....bad reactions to hairs (I mean the worst reactions) come through extended contact/exposure to them...often the first few times it won't even be all that noticeable.

Then I think you are fine with whatever you get. Generally speaking, the worst contact one will ever have with hairs will be either when unpacking them, or when re-housing them (or if someone is handling). With general everyday feedings, watering and spot cleaning, hairs aren't a big issue at all.
Yeah that's what I mean. While the hairs of some tarantulas might be, on average, worse for *most* people it can most definitely vary from person to person. Someone might not have much of a reaction to Theraphosa (which are usually considered to have THE worst hairs) and might break out in hives from an Avic (which are typically considered to have pretty mild hairs).

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I have multiples of each, and prefer the geniculata, because they get bigger (especially the females) and that's a little more fun to me. Their colors and pattern are fairly similar.

Temperament-wise, some people may think that the geniculata are very defensive, but in truth, they just want to eat anything that moves. They don't threat posture at all...but they try to grab anything and everything moving. To me, that's a voracious appetite, not a defensive behavior.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
If you’re anything like the rest of us you won’t have “just one” for long lol once you get into it what you want may very well change, When I got my first spiders I became quite fascinated by the tunnels that the little guys would dig and now have several fossorial spiders in my collection that I didn’t imagine myself getting before getting into keeping spiders
I'd agree if I wasn't mainly planning on collecting scorpions lol. I'm planning on getting a GBB, either a Genic or a Chromatus & MAYBE (only if I feel comfortable) a P. cambridgei (definitely NOT an Irminia as I've heard they're demon spawn as far as NW is concerned) and that'll probably be it for Ts. Granted, that could all change if I decide I like keeping tarantulas more, but rn scorpions are #1.

I have multiples of each, and prefer the geniculata, because they get bigger (especially the females) and that's a little more fun to me. Their colors and pattern are fairly similar.

Temperament-wise, some people may think that the geniculata are very defensive, but in truth, they just want to eat anything that moves. They don't threat posture at all...but they try to grab anything and everything moving. To me, that's a voracious appetite, not a defensive behavior.
Bigger tarantula also means the need for a potentially bigger tank though. The GBB I'm probably gonna get one of those 12x12x12 "Tarantula Cribs" for it. The N. chromatus, after it's fully grown, I *might* be able to get away with putting it in a 12x12x12 Tarantula Crib (though it's still on average bigger than a C. cyaneopubescens). The A. geniculata as an adult would probably need something more like a Jamie's 10x10x20.

I only have my own limited experience to go on, but I got a Nhandu juvie on Sunday and I was not prepared for how defensive it is. It could also have just been stress, because the person I got it from kept it in really poor conditions (filthy enclosure, only about 3cm of substrate filled with earth worms, cockroaches and isopods), but rehoming it was more stressful than rehoming my P Irminia. I haven't been genuinely scared of any of my Ts, but I'm scared of that thing. It was threat posing and kicking hairs like that was its job and it was gunning for the employee of the month award.
This is why I said from what I've heard the N. chromatus, on average, sounds more legitimately defensive than the A. geniculata. The A. geniculata has a voracious feeding response, which can be mistaken for aggression. The N. chromatus, at least in your case @Zoopy, seems to be a legitimately defensive individual threat posing and hair kicking. Could just be the result of the poor conditions it was kept in, but could also be just a not-very-nice specimen. Only time will tell. I've seen the A. geniculata more commonly recommended to beginners, and have seen it featured on more beginner lists. That being the case, it seems both can work as a good hands-off beginner tarantula if you're comfortable w/ it. I remain split between the two.

Zoopy

Arachnopeon
I would say that you can't really go wrong with an A Geniculata. It was my first T and while it's still a mini sling (about 2.5"), it's an absolutely beautiful spider. When I went to pick up my G Pulchripes, the guy showed me his collection, which included an adult female A Geniculata and it was stunningly beautiful. I find the Nhandu's coloring quite dull in comparison.

I think that might be one of the reasons why the Geniculata often edges out over the Nhandu when it comes to beginner recommendations.

Both are greedy pigs, though and both have amazing feeding responses.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
This is why I said from what I've heard the N. chromatus, on average, sounds more legitimately defensive than the A. geniculata. The A. geniculata has a voracious feeding response, which can be mistaken for aggression
Really depends on the individual T, in my case both my genics are defensive and there's no mistaking it (as in full on threat poses & slapping during rehouses).
I reckon some Genics can be more defensive, some Chromatus can be more defensive
Hit the nail on the head right there.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I would say that you can't really go wrong with an A Geniculata. It was my first T and while it's still a mini sling (about 2.5"), it's an absolutely beautiful spider. When I went to pick up my G Pulchripes, the guy showed me his collection, which included an adult female A Geniculata and it was stunningly beautiful. I find the Nhandu's coloring quite dull in comparison.

I think that might be one of the reasons why the Geniculata often edges out over the Nhandu when it comes to beginner recommendations.

Both are greedy pigs, though and both have amazing feeding responses.
The coloration of the N. chromatus is a bit dull compared to the A. geniculata in person? They both look quite pretty in the photos I've seen of them. I definitely do think the white banding on the A. geniculata is far more stunning than on the N. chromatus but I really like the I almost wanna say sorta skeletal look of the patterning on the N. chromatus & the desert tan carapace & red setae on the abdomen it has. They're definitely similar looking spiders, but it's pretty easy to tell them apart. As far as stripe knee tarantulas go (which also includes many a Brachypelma & a few other Ts such as the G. pulchripes) they're both up there as some of the best imo just based on photos.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
That's insane.
Maybe. Suppose if I can find a lower price I may go for it, but usually shipping alone costs a bunch anyways. My 2 scorpions I got were around $30 but the total was like $100 cause the FedEx overnight shipping was like $70. Shipped out from Oregon to Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator:

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Maybe. Suppose if I can find a lower price I may go for it, but usually shipping alone costs a bunch anyways. My 2 scorpions I got were around $30 but the total was like $100 cause the FedEx overnight shipping was like $70. Shipped out from Oregon to Ohio.
If I'm buying from a dealer who has something I like at a good price, I don't add the ones I want that are ridiculously priced and I just get them somewhere else. I would never spend that much on that spider. You can find them for $25.

I'll be a jerk and add that being popular doesn't mean that you're the best.

Last edited by a moderator: