A. geniculata vs. A. brocklehursti

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What is the difference between the Acanthoscurria geniculata and the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti?

I can buy a 1.5" A. brocklehursti s'ling for 20 euro. Is this a good price? I mean, if there is no difference between the A. brocklehursti and the A. geniculata I would be better off buying an A. geniculata s'ling for a few euro.

The guy who sell them tells me the brocklehursti gets more creamy stripes on the legs, and will get a bit more 'muscled', and therefore cooler to see. I don't know if this is true or just salesman talk.

Thx for the info.

Dennis

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aside from three letters and an extra knot in the tongue fro pronunciation..

Well I don't know if this helps or not but I've been looking at a few dozen pictures of both.

To me, both are lovely and striking. I Personaly think the brocklehursti Seems more striking in the pictures.

But Then a few of the pictures arn't all that different from the geniculata.

It's like comparing two 5' tall 120lbs. blonds with blue eyes wearing a red skirt and white top.

Ask ten people which is nicer or better looking your going to get 13 answers.

If you can. Buy both. :)

Then you can compare as they grow and give everyone a nice difiinative answer to that kind of question and not my nonesensical blithering...

Ok,,,, know I wasn't any help here..

Good luck :)

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think I will buy it anyway :). As soon as Joost finishes his school project with the 20 A. geniculata he had to buy for it, I will buy one from him, so I will have both the brocklehursti and the geniculata. I've seen prices for mature A. brocklehursti, and they were around $200!! So I guess those 20 euro (~ $20) will be a reasonable price for a tiny s'ling.

Dennis

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
S'ling grow :)

Keep us posted asto your findings between them and good luck :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If memory serves me right, the brocklehursti tends to want to burrow versus the geniculata which is content to hang out in the open most of the time. I've never had a brocklehursti so maybe someone who has can verify/dispute my bit of info.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) not been here for a while so hi.
i have an a.gen that i got when it was about half the size of a penny , now the litle buggers three inches :) not bad for my first sling. curious about you saying gens like to sit out in the open because mines loves to burrow , busy little thing it is:rolleyes: gonna move it into a bigger home soon but trying to decide what to use has substrate:? cant get peat moss here so would potting soil be ok for a spider that constantly loves to burrow?

who stole fred

Arachnopeon
I have an A. Genic these tend to hold decent prices when adult. I think it depends on the spider, my genic will brrow like hell then just stay out in the open lol. Its a matter of opinion. Is there any difference in adult sizes in genics and brockelhursti's?

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have both sp.They are very similar,however the brockehursti seems to have finer (thinner) markings on the legs.They both eat alot and both like to be out in the open.Their form is nearly identical,both are built like panzer tanks.If u can get both the subtle differences they have make it worth aquiring both.
Brian

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
I have both species and both are very similiar in appearance and attitude.
The brocklehursti seems darker with smaller and brighter banding than geniculata, which seems to have a bit of a pinkish white banding.
G also seems to be a bit of a heavier spider than B. Abdomen is also shaped slightly different. G also seems to web more than B.
The B is around 7" splayed out and the G is about the sameonly heavier [she is also pre molt so huge she will get]
There are pics of both of my adults on fauna in the invert section

T-Virus

Arachnopeon
I have a Brockelhursti and absolutly love her. IMO she looks more than different enough to warrent the purchase. She is a little slimmer than a Genic and has a more defined leg striping and brighter abdomen color. Also the segment striping does not extend down into the third or fourth leg segments. She is a bit shyer than my Genic, But well worth it to me.

I just can't say enough. Definantly one of my favorites.

Angela

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also have both. My brockelhursti is by far my favorite in my collection, she was also the first T I had gotten and the one that got me hooked.They are both voracious eaters, but my brock is more defensive.The differences in appearence are enough that I was told when I got mine that it was a genic, however she didnt look anything like the genics I had ever seen, and turns out she is a brockelhursti.Anyways sorry for rambling on. I love the brocks so much I'm getting 2 slings soon as they're ready for me {D .
Hope that helps.

Angela

P.S You can search for the debate my cousin and I had.There are pics of both.

Doezsha

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know one thing after reading this tred I want both I have an A. geniculata sling that just moulted recently and now it a must that I get a A. brocklehursti thanks for the insperation :clap: :clap:

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
geniculata vs brocklehursti

I know one thing after reading this tred I want both I have an A. geniculata sling that just moulted recently and now it a must that I get a A. brocklehursti thanks for the insperation :clap: :clap:
I second this notion. I have wondered what the difference was between these two species. I have a genic sling that's about 2" which I think may be going into pre-molt. I am going to an expo this weekend so I may just get a brock to add to my collection so I can do my own comparison between the two.:D