a geniculata, very fat

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
So my A geniculata, I normally feed twice a week, and did so for the last 8months.. her abdomen has gotten realllllllyyy big, so i cut it down to once a month, and its been 4months of that. Today is feeding day and I know shes still not in premolt as she attempted to eat her water bowl.. i am wondering if I should stop feeding her until she molts. Even if she wants to eat.
Shes my second T and well shes never gotten this big before going into premolt!

Attachments

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
A. Geniculata is known to have big appetite,as you observed. It will continue eating until its in premolt.
I personally wouldn't feed this tarantula anymore. There's simply no need.
Also i don't really stick to scheduled feedings,just observe the abdomen size and offer a feeder if the abdomen could use some size.
Just keep the water dish filled and wait for the molt.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with vicareux ,I would hold off on feeding with this individual, and I also dont stick to feeding schedules.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Also enclosure looks like it's an exo terra. If it is there'll be a large gap from the substrate to the top which could be a disaster for a tarantula, neber mind one that has a massive abdomen.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
when it is full, it will stop eating. Cut her down to 1x a week or 1x every 2.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Also i don't really stick to scheduled feedings,just observe the abdomen size and offer a feeder if the abdomen could use some size.
PRECISELY - wish more owners would do this.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Funny I was thinking the same about my A.genic last week! It's huge! I gave it a cricket last night and it finally refused.
The wait begins 😌

Transrights

Arachnosquire
PRECISELY - wish more owners would do this.
I think that is simply something that comes with time. I also used to worry about sticking to a feeding schedule, now I just make a mental note of who needs a feeding the next time every time I walk by the enclosures.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that is simply something that comes with time. I also used to worry about sticking to a feeding schedule, now I just make a mental note of who needs a feeding the next time every time I walk by the enclosures.
I don't think so. I asked how often to feed, and I was told to watch their abdomen size. Case closed.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I do not yet trust myself to simply judge the abdomen being plump enough sadly, so the schedule makes me feel good. Ill hold off on feeding, and for the enclosure yes its an exo Terra i filled the back with a huge dirt mound, but the front has some room, though less than it looks as i also gave her an expanding foam wall covered in eco earth, i cut holes into this wall that she often goes into also! And the lid is acrylic, ive never seen her on it though.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
But other than that, since its safe ill just not feed her till she molts!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So my A geniculata, I normally feed twice a week
That's excessive.

As a guide I normally feed slings of faster growing species like this every 3-5 days, juvies every 7-10 days, and subadults/adults every 2-3 weeks. That's using prey no larger than the abdomen though, if you feed larger meals then you'd need to feed less often

i am wondering if I should stop feeding her until she molts. Even if she wants to eat.
Yeah, I'd stop feeding until she moults.

I do not yet trust myself to simply judge the abdomen being plump enough sadly, so the schedule makes me feel good.
I'm just not a fan of winging stuff in general, schedules can work just fine, I've been doing it for years and I've never had any issues.