A. geniculata & sperm web production

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I did a search on this and learned some but not all of what I was wondering: I have a mature male genic who molted out a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have seen zero evidence of a traditional "lean-to" sperm web. However, he has put down a thin mat of webbing over an area of substrate about the same size as him. This T never webbed anything before, now this mat. It's not a thick layer at all, very thin, however I have seen him laying sprawled out flat over it several times. Is he loading up off the ground or just being weird? I have read that genic males sometimes don't construct sperm webs until they are "stimulated" by the presence of a female. Would it be wise to send him off to the owner of a female now, assuming he's loaded up already, or see if that kick-starts his drive to construct a lean-to, or what? Any suggestions/tips or related experiences would be really appreciated. Thanks all. :)

Here is a picture of him laying sprawled out flat over the mat.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just give it more time to recover. The ultimate molt is more harsh on them than others so it'll take longer. He's flat to maximize his size in the pic so that's why I say this. When he's acting anxious and nervous and running around alot and he still doesn't spin a sperm web, He will when he's introduced to the female. Her oders and her webbing will trigger his sperm web.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I doubt that is a molt mat...... you should see evidence of his first mat maybe around the 4-6 week mark. Thats stretching is just him still waiting to harden up and make the most out of his new skin........ you might not see the mat but you should see remains of a thick webbing when you see that hes charged and ready for lovin.

bokgrasul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hy!
My geniculata female, also does this think right now....
I allready made an topic and all the people said that she is recovering from difficult molting.....
So, no sperm web yet, i guess..
PS- she's like a sleeping princess now sleeping in her white bed....

bokgrasul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of course not, and she's 100% female!!
So, I was saying for maxident "mo sperm web yet"...not for me!!
:wall: