A geniculata sling.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Hi guys, have had an A geniculata sling for 3 or 4 weeks now. Its about the size of my thumbnail. It eats well as you would expect from an Aconthoscurria.
Over the past week or so it has taken to filling in the entrance to its burrow with the substrate. I understand this is normal.
My question is should I gently remove the substrate blocking the burrow to feed it? ive been feeding mini mealworms with the heads crushed. I usually drop the worm at the entrance of the burrow.
Any feedback is welcome as this is my first time at keeping slings.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have never interfered with how my T´s prefer to redecorate their space. After all, they are living in that dirt, not me. If its blocking the entrance to its burrow, it might get ready to moult.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
+1 to above. I never remove anything for feeding. I drop the feeder closest to the spider I can get, but never down a burrow. I did this once accidentally, my E.murinus was not amused and dropkicked the worm right back out of there. Funny, of course, but clearly a signal it wasn't appreciated :D

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I have never interfered with how my T´s prefer to redecorate their space. After all, they are living in that dirt, not me. If its blocking the entrance to its burrow, it might get ready to moult.
I did wonder if it could be coming up for a molt. I never see it now that it burrows lol! I was more concerned about it not getting food.
Maybe I should leave food in overnight or try micro crickets instead of mealworms?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I did wonder if it could be coming up for a molt. I never see it now that it burrows lol! I was more concerned about it not getting food.
Maybe I should leave food in overnight or try micro crickets instead of mealworms?
You can just leave the mealworm in overnight by the entrance, it'll come out and eat if it needs too. Like the others said though, it's most likely nearing a molt.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
+1 to above. I never remove anything for feeding. I drop the feeder closest to the spider I can get, but never down a burrow. I did this once accidentally, my E.murinus was not amused and dropkicked the worm right back out of there. Funny, of course, but clearly a signal it wasn't appreciated :D
That's interesting to know. Thinking about switching to crickets, I'm almost paranoid about mealworms burrowing & turning into beetles & munching on a molting T even when the heads are crushed lol!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I feed all my T´s crickets of appropriate size as staple food, with the odd worm here and there. If its heavily in premoult, however, live crickets might be a risk, especially if left overnight. This is of no concern with a worm with its head crushed.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
You can just leave the mealworm in overnight by the entrance, it'll come out and eat if it needs too. Like the others said though, it's most likely nearing a molt.
Would it come out although it has filled the entrance with substrate? I know that may sound like a silly question.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's interesting to know. Thinking about switching to crickets, I'm almost paranoid about mealworms burrowing & turning into beetles & munching on a molting T even when the heads are crushed lol!
Crickets can chew on the T as well, unfortunately. I wouldn't put live crickets in if you suspect a molt, not even the micro-ones. If you're worried you didn't crush the head of a mealie enough, just cut it of with scissors.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Would it come out although it has filled the entrance with substrate? I know that may sound like a silly question.
It sure will, they're instinctual so they know exactly what they're doing. Also those grow relatively fast if I'm not mistaken, with it's size and the time you've had it, I'd say it's molting.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I feed all my T´s crickets of appropriate size as staple food, with the odd worm here and there. If its heavily in premoult, however, live crickets might be a risk, especially if left overnight. This is of no concern with a worm with its head crushed.
Yeah true, Ill stick to mealworms I think. Before it sealed itself in its burrow it did have the dark spot on its abdomen. When looking online most pictures of A genic slings I see they all seem to have the dark spot though?

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Yeah true, Ill stick to mealworms I think. Before it sealed itself in its burrow it did have the dark spot on its abdomen. When looking online most pictures of A genic slings I see they all seem to have the dark spot though?
Everything indicates pre molt.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
If you happen to have a recent photograph of your specimen, you might post it here. But, slings moult quite frequently and if that´s the case, all you need to do is to keep the little water dish filled and leave it be for now. If it´s hungry, you should see it at the entrance of its burrow or outside it looking for insects to feed on.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
My A. genic. sling blocked his entrance for about 3-4 weeks and then came out freshly molted. I remember running here with the same question. Haha!

lanny

Arachnopeon
I have 2 A. geniculatas; about 3.5 years old and they probably have 2 more moults to go before they're full grown. They could be females as females take longer to mature. I had a B. bohmei I thought was a girl it moulted into a male. Feed crickets with their heads crushed if they appear too large. Don't re arrange your Ts home it will make it the way it wants it

clive 82

Arachnoknight
If you happen to have a recent photograph of your specimen, you might post it here. But, slings moult quite frequently and if that´s the case, all you need to do is to keep the little water dish filled and leave it be for now. If it´s hungry, you should see it at the entrance of its burrow or outside it looking for insects to feed on.
Unfortunatly I never got any photos of it.
That's what Ill do, leave the food outside the burrow & let the T do its thing.
I thought that would be the general point of view but wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
My A. genic. sling blocked his entrance for about 3-4 weeks and then came out freshly molted. I remember running here with the same question. Haha!
dID YOU CONTINUE TO FEED PRW
Did you continue to feed pre killed prey during this time?