A. Geniculata sling enclosure

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Hi all.

I haven't kept a sling this small before. I will be getting a 1/2inch A. Geniculata sling next week. I prepared this 2.25 inch in diameter Mason jar.
As you can see, I've burned holes in the top of the jar, and placed a tiny water dish in there. I could also place a small leaf in there. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Are my holes up top enough ventilation?

Thanks !

Attachments

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Size wise, it's good. You need to make sure holes aren't bigger than carapace of your genic. If they are bigger, your T will be able to squeeze out through them.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Yes, I'll make sure. The holes are around 1mm big so I think I'll be fine!

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
And just in case, slings do like their substrate slightly more moist than bigger specimens. Prevents them from dehydration.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
And just in case, slings do like their substrate slightly more moist than bigger specimens. Prevents them from dehydration.
+1
I would suggest you a ferrero like enclosure. They tend to grow very fast. This way you can keep it longer in the same enclosure to not disturb the geni with rehousings.

If help, I keep my geni in a mix of clay, sand and top soil. Imo it keeps the perfect amount of moisture for her.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Personally, I wouldn't use a tiny glass enclosure for slings. It's true they need a bit more moisture in the sub, but with that, the conditions in a glass jar could get stuffy with only ventilation on top.
I'd use a 2oz deli cup (one size smaller or bigger depending on the actual size of your sling) where you have the chance to make a few tiny holes in the sides rather than the top for better ventilation.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Personally, I wouldn't use a tiny glass enclosure for slings. It's true they need a bit more moisture in the sub, but with that, the conditions in a glass jar could get stuffy with only ventilation on top.
I'd use a 2oz deli cup (one size smaller or bigger depending on the actual size of your sling) where you have the chance to make a few tiny holes in the sides rather than the top for better ventilation.
I was thinking about just grabbing the 2oz deli cup from my local market. I'm thinking the 16oz deli cup might be a little too big. I keep my 1+inch slings in the 16oz deli cups.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was thinking about just grabbing the 2oz deli cup from my local market. I'm thinking the 16oz deli cup might be a little too big. I keep my 1+inch slings in the 16oz deli cups.
I would start it in the 2 oz. and then upgrade when the sling reaches 1 in.