A. Geniculata Sling Care

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
Hi, I recently acquired an A. Geniculata sling (about 1/4") and was hoping to get some advise on its care. It's currently in a 2.25"LW x 4"H acrylic enclosure (mesh vent on top) with about an inch of coconut fiber, a light dusting of moss, and a small silk plant. This is my first time raising a sling so I'll take all the advice I can get, especially when it comes to feeding, thanks!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
1/4'' NW terrestrials do better in small enclosures. Go for something like this until it grows past the 2'' mark.

Small slings will be stressed in large open spaces and have a lessened feeding response, they are more likely to burrow and hide as well. Making them all the more difficult to monitor.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
I think my genic is about the same size, showing its hungry side despite being so small. So much fun to watch.

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
You learn something new every day. Thanks so much for your help! I had no idea that he wouldn't like having more space but that makes total sense.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
As for feeding I'd say cut up mealworms are your best bet for a sling that small. They're just easy to apply and safe for your sling.

20180806_102952.jpg

You could also try baby roaches or crickets. But if you only have that one tiny sling, I honestly wouldn't bother with the hassle of keeping them alive right now.

Malo

Arachnopeon
But if you only have that one tiny sling, I honestly wouldn't bother with the hassle of keeping them alive right now.
That's a frustrating part. Pinhead crickets are great for this size and it's fun watching them chasing down the fast prey but it's a pain keeping them alive. If you have an LPS that carries pinhead and can buy like 6 at a time...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a frustrating part. Pinhead crickets are great for this size and it's fun watching them chasing down the fast prey but it's a pain keeping them alive. If you have an LPS that carries pinhead and can buy like 6 at a time...
It's easy to keep pinheads alive, all you do is hydrate them and feed them.

Pernicious

Arachnosquire
Anyone agree with using gut loaded wax worms ? I do it ocasionaly since i raise reps as well my 2 inch white knee goes nuts for em kinda like a yogurt squeeze for em.

beccadarling

Arachnopeon
As for feeding I'd say cut up mealworms are your best bet for a sling that small. They're just easy to apply and safe for your sling.

View attachment 283679

You could also try baby roaches or crickets. But if you only have that one tiny sling, I honestly wouldn't bother with the hassle of keeping them alive right now.

I tried giving it a tiny cut up meal worm last night but he just ran away from it :( 24 hours later and it's still in the enclosure. Maybe it's in premolt? Aside from not accepting food, what are some good sign of premolt in slings?

You want it in a small deli cup. A small amount of substrate so you can keep track of it and feed it much easier.

Thanks for the info! I moved it to something about that size and he stopped burrowing and has been super active.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I tried giving it a tiny cut up meal worm last night but he just ran away from it :( 24 hours later and it's still in the enclosure. Maybe it's in premolt?
Was the worm moved at all? If the sling is not in pre-molt, there is a good chance it fed on the worm without consuming all of it.

Aside from not accepting food, what are some good sign of premolt in slings?
Some pre-molt symptoms you may notice with slings:
  • seems more lethargic, skittish, or reclusive than normal
  • seals itself into its burrow (do not disturb sign)
  • entire abdomen turns dark and shiny: will molt soon
  • makes a molting mat: will likely molt within a day
  • flips onto its back or side: it begins!

cold blood

Staff member
OP, you got some good advice so far...but i would add, that this would be how you should keep/feed ALL new world terrestrial slings...there really is no variation other than how often/much they will eat.