A. geniculata setup for 3/4 inch sling?

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I know it's hard to tell from the pictures. I have the eco earth dirt underneath the moss. I will remove the layer of moss and get dry coconut fiber tomorrow. Btw do I need to add any holes to the sides. I just have holes on the top. 20200712_151611.jpg

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Holes on the sides for sure. Heat a pin or paper clip.
Keep it a little dryer. Think moist corner. Like the spider spilled a tiny drink.
Other than that, looks great.

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
You can definitely go bigger. They do well in bigger enclosures. They also grow big and relatively fast, so less rehousings. This will work for a little while though, and honestly a very easy species to rehouse. The choice is yours.

Enjoy your pig. I mean your spider ;)

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
When the time comes to move up to another enclosure, can I just move up to a life long setup? What size do you recommend as an adult setup for down the road?

cold blood

Staff member
First off, partially damp sub is just fine.

Also, ventilation is not something to over think...most ts that arent moisture dependent or an avic type actually have pretty minimal ventilation needs.

A couple holes on the lid and a few in a ring around the sides and your fine...you dont need anything specific.

When the time comes to move up to another enclosure, can I just move up to a life long setup? What size do you recommend as an adult setup for down the road?
You will likely upgrade a few times between now and adulthood.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
First off, partially damp sub is just fine.

Also, ventilation is not something to over think...most ts that arent moisture dependent or an avic type actually have pretty minimal ventilation needs.

A couple holes on the lid and a few in a ring around the sides and your fine...you dont need anything specific.

You will likely upgrade a few times between now and adulthood.
Completely agree.
But moist substrate with minimal ventilation equals mold every time. Not that it will necessarily harm the t but it makes me feel bad because it looks bad. I have seen spiders completely avoid the ground if too moist and it takes forever to dry back out if there is only a few tiny holes.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Great information on setting up sling enclosures:

A.geniculata information:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would put ventilation on the sides, only because that helps to dry out the substrate more evenly so mould is less likely to become an issue. Other than that, the setup looks good. The moss is fine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ditch the moss, make a single row of holes all around the side, replace that wet sub (you only need to moisten 1/4 - 1/2 the sub) and you're good.