A. geniculata setup advice

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
Yesterday I was looking for exo-terras on a local classified site, when I found one for sale that includes a "tarantula", and a couple of lidded 10G aquariums at what I considered a decent price. Naturally enough I emailed to ask about the T. The reply so far is that it is a "4yo Brazilian White Knee", with photos coming later today.

I am most likely going to pick up (not handle);) this T in the next few days. I am thinking a front opening viv may be far from desirable for this species, so will probably set it up in one of the 10Gs with an acrylic lid.

Any advice ie sub depth, moisture levels would be appreciated.

I know I am supposed to avoid care sheets like the plague, but I need basic info.

BTW, this would be my second T, the 1st being a 5.5" Lp

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Nearly identical setup to your LP. Genics like a warm, humid environment. Full, large water dish at all times, which they will frequently guard like it's a pot of gold. I keep mine wet enough to have springtails in her enclosure. I have a loooot of holes in one end of the lid, and ventilation holes around the sides as well, so that stagnant air isn't an issue.

Adults are unlikely to burrow, but they will use a hide. They are feisty, but that's what makes them fun! Everything, LITERALLY EVERYTHING, is food to a genic, so do be careful with your fingers. Ethel has jumped up onto a cup when I was giving her more water more than once and let's not get into how many times she's tried to climb the feeding tongs when I was doing routine maintenance. Watch the urticating hairs - they're terribly, horribly itchy if you get them on you.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
So overflow the water dish, and let it dry out? Or always keep one end moist?

Bugmom

Arachnolord
So overflow the water dish, and let it dry out? Or always keep one end moist?
I always keep the end with the water dish moist. I noticed that if I didn't, she would stay hovered over the water dish all the time. I added springtails to ensure that I don't get mold outbreaks, or if I do, they're contained.

(Moist... hmm.. slightly damp might be a better way to describe it)

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
Wouldn't be overly surprised if it turns out to be a mm.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.:clown: Ok, so I got the T home. About 5", no hooks or gloves, really bald abdomen. The thing is, its not as black or white as I expected. (pics tomorrow and maybe new thread) More a base of deep brown, and covered with longer salmon to orange hairs all over, and cream knees. Do the colors vary that much, or do I have something else? Also, at the moment she is ina 12x12x12 exoterra, screen top, 1.5" dry coco earth. almost every inch of glass and screen has thin webbing so I know she's climbed WAY too high. All will be fixed in the AM.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ugh, common names suck.
It could be an A.geniculata, or a Nhandu chromatus. Temperament is roughly the same, as is the care. The Nhandu is less food agressive and more....nasty just because :D

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
Ugh, common names suck.
It could be an A.geniculata, or a Nhandu chromatus. Temperament is roughly the same, as is the care. The Nhandu is less food agressive and more....nasty just because :D
Can't wait to get a good picture to see what you guys think. I've been looking at pics of everything and can't find a match.:banghead:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Can't wait to get a good picture to see what you guys think. I've been looking at pics of everything and can't find a match.:banghead:
If it is indeed "4 years old" then it'll be easy to tell the difference. If it's under 3", they look kind of similar - easily mistaken if you don't know what to look for.

A. geniculata, 2.5":
IMG_1575.JPG

N. chromatus, 2.5"
IMG_1574.JPG

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I had to cover up half the screen top with a piece of acrylic to keep the humidity a bit higher.
I do think that the fear of screens is a tad overblown on this forum, but I would never keep this species in an enclosure with a screen top. This is one of the most powerful spiders I've owned, a screen wouldn't even begin to stop an escape unless it was one of those spot-welded steel ones.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
OK. This is the best I have for now... I'm not sure the lighting does the colours justice, so I will try some more when I rehome her later today. So I'm going to go with a 10 gallon top opening covered with drilled acrylic, deeper sub for safety and a slightly bigger (but shallower water dish.

Tell me what you think... image1.JPG image2.JPG

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
Just re-reading my original post... Isn't it funny how "the next few days" turned into "the next few hours"?:p

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Not exactly sure what it is, but definitely not A. geniculata or N. chromatus. Maybe N. coloratovillosus in need of a molt??

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
definitely needs molt
Ya, I'm going with N. coloratovillosus. I think their common name is "Brazilian black and white tarantula", so that would make sense too. Never kept that species though so I'm not positive. I'm sure some others will know.

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
I do think that the fear of screens is a tad overblown on this forum, but I would never keep this species in an enclosure with a screen top. This is one of the most powerful spiders I've owned, a screen wouldn't even begin to stop an escape unless it was one of those spot-welded steel ones.
I'm actually inclined to agree with that as I catch her clewing at the screen quite a lot. I ended up replacing the original screen top with plasti dipped galvanized steel mesh as she managed to almost chew through the original mesh. Haven't had any problems at all with new screen top.