A.geniculata Premolt question

TMac

Arachnopeon
1)
My A.genic sealed in and stopped eating about 2 weeks ago. I stopped offering food. I found what looks like mold when checking no her today. I know to leave them alone when going through premolt but also know the mold problem needs to be fixed. I'll pretty much have to all-but remove her log retreat to get rid of the mold. She has the front side side totally sealed off.

Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. Also, I have a 2nd question below.

View attachment 60854

2)
While I am at it I have one more question. The last pic shows her setup the day I got her. I left the front of the log large and open. The first thing she did was seal it off. Crickets dropped in on the back corner. She left a chimney in back corner for her to move in and out of and to trap crickets. This makes it tough for me to see or retrieve the left-overs. I can easily see and find molts and cricket legs at the front door of the rest of my collection and nothing has stayed there long enough to mold. Just not this one.

Any suggestions for improving the set up? View attachment 60855

Thanks, Tony

Last edited:

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think I would let the mold go until after the molt, then attend to it. As far as clean up goes, it probably will move the cricket parts out of the hide periodically, so just look for them when you do routine cage maintenance. You might also think about adding more substrate, it looks like your T. could fall quite a distance if it decides to climb.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think I would let the mold go until after the molt, then attend to it. As far as clean up goes, it probably will move the cricket parts out of the hide periodically, so just look for them when you do routine cage maintenance. You might also think about adding more substrate, it looks like your T. could fall quite a distance if it decides to climb.
i agree on having deep substrate. nice looking set-up you have!

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Ditto on the deeper substrate, mine and other A.genics even when normally feed then to develop "fat butts" (technical term I believe ;) ) so falling poses a larger risk, especially when they get bigger.

Whats that second dish in the enclosure for?

Don't worry about the mold until it molts?

Unless you can get in there with an eye dropper, pipet, syringe et c., then you put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide (same stuff from the pharmacy) on the mold patch, which will kill it and be save for the ts, it rapidly breaks down to water and oxygen. (Peroxide commonly used to spot treat localized patches of mold in terraria.)

TMac

Arachnopeon
Thanks...2nd dish question

Thanks everyone!!

I did not know there was such an easy and safe way to kill mold.

I'll add more substrate. Up to now I have not caught her climbing but sounds like she could so I'll take care of it. I left the substrate shallow initially to try to give me some protection from hair flicking. I heard A.genic's had some of the worst hairs for reaction. I am very reactive and the low stubtrate has not helped. I love this gal's behavior and hope the blisters and itching do not cause me to have to get rid her.

About the extra dish - I trimmed down a peat seed starter to serve an occasional worm or frzn pinkie mouse. I wanted to keep the worms from digging into the substrate. When those things get into the substrate and die, the stinch is horrible. I'm sure it's a mite haven as well.

Tony