A. geniculata or N. coloratovillosus

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wanted to get some feedback on your experiences with each or better yet, both. What is the difference between temperment and care? I know that the genic gets bigger but what would you recommend b/w the two.

Thanks.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are both very similar in temperament, but A. geniculata does get bigger. In my opinion, I would always go with a A. geniculata. Genics are hair flickers, (as are Nhandus), and overall either species is a good choice. but I would go with a genic.

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had several of both and prefer A. geniculata because it seems the more calm of the two. Also, they are huge eating machines that stay out where they can be seen more so than the Nhandu coloratovillosus. That being said, I still keep both and would hate to be without either. Buy two of each as slings and keep whatever grows up female.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would choose A. geniculata for visability.
I would choose N. coloratovillosus for coloration.

I've kept both and and had the following results

A. geniculata get larger (8.5" average I have seen larger but, the majority have reached the size stated) they stay out in the open more as juveniles/subadults/adults.

N. coloratovillosus get large as well (6" average I have seen larger but, the majority have reached the size stated) they tend to be burrowers as adults and are more skittish IMO. They do however have broader white banding than the A. geniculata IMO.

Both are great feeders, grow to a decent size, and make great display animals. I would try at least one of each and see which one you prefer.

Brian

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. genic is just such a cool spider, I'd go with that first off and then get the other later when there is a place for it to live well.

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I knew you all would tell me to get both (always the best answer for a "help me pick one" thread). :)

Looks like I'll go with the A. genic first then the Nhandu. Thanks for the input.