A.geniculata or B.boehmei - Who has the most irritating urticating hairs?

adonis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A.geniculata or B.boehmei - Who has the most irritating urticating hairs?

I would like to purchase both but finances have only permitted one of these gorgeous T's.

So, to make it easy, I will get the one who kicks least/has the least irritating hairs.

Help me out, as I have no experience with either species.

Thanks

Last edited:

Cthulhu1254

Arachnopeon
It'll depend on the individual. My A. geniculata rarely kicks hairs, and the genus Brachypelma does have a reputation for being fond of kicking, but my B. smithi doesn't do it much either. They're both great spiders, I think you should use something else as the deciding factor.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. boehmei in my experience kick much more hair than A. geniculata. They are probably one of the worst in the genus.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B.boehmei for me, i had 2 and they never stopped...soo i eventually traded them out..the A.gen's i own haven't kicked yet:? so i've crossed my fingers lol.....but like stated above, it seems the personalities differ from t 2 t sooo take it for what it is worth....

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have one of each, both male. My genic is mature and out breeding now, but he has never kicked at me. My boehmei kicks if I look at him. I would say from my own expirences and what I have heard from other people that the boehmei is the worst kicker of the two.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my genic has never kicked at me, and is more prone to scuttle off than to fight.

both of my boehmeis are spunky little &*^%ers and will probably be big kickers when they grow up. right now they both just rear up and do all-out threat stances. :eek:

barkobarko

Arachnopeon
boehmei

i have both of em, my a.genic is a juvie and didn't kick any hairs, on the other hand the boehmei is 4.5" sub-adult and oh yeah she kicks hairs;)

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. geniculata - Not a real hair kicker. More prone to biting than kicking

B. boehmei - Kicks hair if looked at the wrong way and nervous and skittish.

Both are not very bad on the itchiness of the hairs but, that may be because I might have developed an immunity too. Who knows.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say boehmei just because of sheer volume. Mine does a handstand to get as much off his butt as possible as fast as possible.