A.geniculata not eating

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Hi. My a. Geniculata juvi had not been eating for a few weeks (i thought she was in pre.molt because she doesnt eat when i try to feed her ). She has a big abdomen. She is always on top of her hide and hasnt moved from that place. I try to keep the room at a 20-22°C but its winter and unfortunatelly that doesnt happen all day. Is this normal?
I will post a pic as soon as i get homefrom work.
Thanks in advance

Kevin0610

PeanutButter&Jelly
Most likely premolt. All of my geniculata are savages until they hit premolt and will stop eating until they molt (one is actually molting as I'm typing this now lol) and go right back to being savages again. Nothing to worry about especially if her abdomen is big.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Those are relatively low temps, spiders being poikilotherms their metabolism is determined by the temperature of their environment. May be operating at a winter metabolism which decreases their already low calorie requirements & decreases activity. If it is in premolt lower temperatures will prolong premolt.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Make sure the water dish is always full and be patient. It's probably just premolt but even if it's fasting for it's own reasons (yeah I know it's a garbage disposal so unlikely) I don't see anything to worry about. I get extra watchful about the water any time a tarantula isn't eating though.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed with everything above. Unfortunately, this species has black urticating setae, meaning you can't tell if it's in premolt unless it has kicked off a chunk of hair. You apparently don't have a kicker! But it's plenty fat, don't worry about anything. Given the species, I'd wager premolt if it's refusing food.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Most probably in premoult, mine is pretty active so it refusing food + being lazy is usually a good indicator.