A. geniculata not doing well

smitje

Arachnosquire
Dear all,

I'm kind of worried that my A. geniculata is dying on me. This is what happend so far:

About 2 weeks ago she ate a big fat cricket. After that she just sat on top of her burrow. Upon closer inspection she was moving her legs very slowly. I asked for advice on a dutch tarantula forum and they told me iT was probably in premolt. And so she was.

About a week later she molted. But here behaviour stayed the same. Just sitting still and moving her legs a little. No response to me what so ever. Not even when I brushed her butt.

After 2 days still No improvement so I took her into an ICU. There I noticed 1 rear leg that was a lot smaller, Im pretty sure it didnt molt.

She has been in there for 3 days now, things seem to get worse. She cant even hold on to the papertowel anymore and stopped moving at all. She is still a juvenile and a confirmed female.

Anything I can do? Leave her in the icu? Im Really worried!

Thanks!

Best regards,

Louis

Attachments

smitje

Arachnosquire
P.s. Humidity in the enclosure is about 60/70% temp arround 23.

The icu, humidity close to 100% and temp 25/26 degrees celcius

RMJ

Arachnosquire
:( how old/big is she? have you tried flipping her over and giving her water droplets too the mouth?

Im sorry to hear your going through this, not a nice experience

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
As far as molting goes, tarantulas can be weak for quite some time after molting. Especially little ones.. If the molt was bad only on one leg, it shouldn't really be a problem. The T will pull off its own leg and go about its business.. Maybe you overstressed the T right after the molt. Anyway, whatever you do, do NOT feed it for at least a week! :) Hope it pulls through!

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Just saw the picture.. Are you sure that this Geniculata had a leg prior to the molt? because it looks to me like a newly grown limb.. And personally I would move her out of the ICU. A. Geniculata likes it dry and it does not seem dehydrated. I would put her in her enclosure and placed her in the waterbowl and let it decide. Are the legs bent in any way? I can't decide whether it looks like a wet molt or not. Please post some more pictures from different angles :) But as far as I see it, it will be alright.

smitje

Arachnosquire
I guess she is arround 6 to 7 cm legspan. I havent flipped her over but she is on a damp papertowel in the icu. Im guessing she is not dehydraded, her abdomen is full, and overall she looks healthy. Big bud, vibrant coloring. Just 1 badly molted leg.

Im not feeding her for now. My B. smithi and my GBB where on their feet within hours after the molt. The geniculata not so.

I might have stressed her by moving her into the icu, for the rest the room she is in is very quiet, no direct sunlight, good temperature. As a general rule I dont play arround with them other then feeding and maintenance.

so I guess ill just have to wait. Moving her back to the enclosure will probably stress her even more. Really makes me sad.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Are the legs crooked or do they just look like that from the picture? Or let me rephrase - do other legs look healthy or are they bent in some weird cripple way?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Also, are you really sure that she had all legs prior to the molt? because the way I see it, this leg is new.. Maybe it's the picture's perspective, but it seems too thin to be only 1 molt apart from others.

smitje

Arachnosquire
Im sure she had all legs before the molt. Her other legs look good, it was the position she was in. No deformations as far as I can see. Slightly shifting the icu and she just rolled over om her back as shown in the foto's above. At least she just walked a little, gives me Some New hope!

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
That's great news! movement is always a good sign! Some of these pictures look like she's quite in a bad shape, and others like she's doing fine. But the last two pictures look quite good! Observe her movement and behaviour for the next few days and keep us posted what is going on. As soon as you notice something is wrong, feel free to ask! Bad molts happen..

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
How soon after the molt did you transfer her to icu?
The Dutch forum is not very active, you could try the fb page vogelspinnenforum, a lot of members are also on there.
In the meantime, @Poec54 @cold blood
might be able to help.
Leave her be, make sure she has access to water. Do you use heatlamps/mats? If so, turn them off, it is hot enough at the moment. ;)

smitje

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I guess ill just hang in and hope for the best. Could high humidity cause such aphatic behaviour? Just asking because I did increase the humidity. I went on a short holiday last week and overflowed all water dishes. Its pretty dry and hot here at the moment so figured that was a good plan.

Just checked again. She is definatly moving again! She now sits in the corner! Man I am so happy, and so is my son. The spiders are his and this one is kind of his favourite.

Attachments

smitje

Arachnosquire
Hi Andrea, no Im not using heat mats. She molted during my holiday so I am not 100% sure. She sat at least 2 days like that, so anywhere between 2 and 6 days after the actual molt.

Im one of them dinosaurs without Facebook :) dont feel a need to open my life for the NSA ;)

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Thanks! I guess ill just hang in and hope for the best. Could high humidity cause such aphatic behaviour? Just asking because I did increase the humidity. I went on a short holiday last week and overflowed all water dishes. Its pretty dry and hot here at the moment so figured that was a good plan.

Just checked again. She is definatly moving again! She now sits in the corner! Man I am so happy, and so is my son. The spiders are his and this one is kind of his favourite.
Tarantulas are mostly apathic anyway :p raising the humidity during molting is perfectly fine, so overflowing shouldn't do much damage.. Maybe the time in the ICU was not necessary and inflicted some stress on the T. If she is moving now, thats great! She might try to pull her leg off so don't be freaked out if that happens. Im glad everything is turning for the better :) keep us posted!

cold blood

Staff member
So its 5 or 6 days post molt? I wouldn't expect any t larger than a sling to be active in such a short time...I see no reason for an ICU, what you describe is normal post molt behavior.

Don't measure humidity numbers, they just cause confusion, no t on the planet has a number specific humidity requirement...it should be in its home, not in an ICU...thats not helping, its probably hurting in fact.

Small leg=regenerated leg.

Never move a freshly molted t.

Wait 2 weeks before you feed.

Last edited: