A. geniculata for a beginner?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but I keep hearing conflicting opinions. I believe I've convinced one of my friends to get a T. But he's drawn to A. geniculata and I don't think that's best for a first T. What do you all think? Is it not good for handling? I've heard from different sites that they're okay for a fairly new keeper, but some other people and sites state that they're more aggressive (or shall I say, defensive) and not good for handling. I've also wondered whether they require misting or not.
I'm just excited that I've brainwashed someone into the T hobby, and I'd hate to disappoint him. ;)

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but I keep hearing conflicting opinions. I believe I've convinced one of my friends to get a T. But he's drawn to A. geniculata and I don't think that's best for a first T. What do you all think? Is it not good for handling? I've heard from different sites that they're okay for a fairly new keeper, but some other people and sites state that they're more aggressive (or shall I say, defensive) and not good for handling. I've also wondered whether they require misting or not.
I'm just excited that I've brainwashed someone into the T hobby, and I'd hate to disappoint him. ;)
i think its a good beginner T. they are pretty hardy. i keep mine on the humid side, much like i do my h. lividium. as far as handling goes...in my experience they arent really quick to bite...but they will shower you with urticating hairs. i personally dont handle ANY of my T's. i really just dont see the point. they hate it and it doesnt really give me any type of enjoyment either. but that is just me. i know alot of people handle their T's often...more power to you. its your spider, you bought it.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
i think its a good beginner T. they are pretty hardy. i keep mine on the humid side, much like i do my h. lividium. as far as handling goes...in my experience they arent really quick to bite...but they will shower you with urticating hairs. i personally dont handle ANY of my T's. i really just dont see the point. they hate it and it doesnt really give me any type of enjoyment either. but that is just me. i know alot of people handle their T's often...more power to you. its your spider, you bought it.
I don't know whether he plans on handling it or not, but I'll make sure he'll be super careful if he ever does. Thanks. :)

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I wouldn't handle any of my tarantulas...and definitely not my geni. She's definitely the most aggressive of all my Ts. But it can be just as ok for the first T, it's not that different. It depends entirely on your friend and his capabilities to care for Ts.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Well I wouldn't handle any of my tarantulas...and definitely not my geni. She's definitely the most aggressive of all my Ts. But it can be just as ok for the first T, it's not that different. It depends entirely on your friend and his capabilities to care for Ts.
I think he'd do fine with it. He respects animals and takes good care of em. I'll help him along the way if he needs info on caring for it. Also gave him the link to this site. ;)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, they are beautiful T's, no doubt. I think that could work for a beginner, as long as he knows they aren't considered docile. Mine was fine when he was smaller, but know he is a regular pain in the rump. Ready to kick as soon as anyone gets within touching distance of his enclosure.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They make excellent spiders for the novice. They have a tendancy to be skittish and will bite so dont put your hand near them. On the other hand, husbandry is quite forgiving and they grow fast and get big.

Just like an Old Milwaukee, it just doesnt get any better than that LOL

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with the above and it would be a great tarantula for those who like big, hungry, colorful tarantulas.

Just like an Old Milwaukee, it just doesnt get any better than that LOL
That's what I call a man with good taste.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
From what I've heard, any large tarantula species (barring a few docile individuals) mistakes anything that moves for something that needs to be pounced on and eaten. Combine that with hair-kicking, and unless your friend is willing to shell out the cash for an adult female that's turned out to have a fairly docile personality (which may not last forever, their moods do change)...he really shouldn't handle these. :)

They seem awesome in every other respect, though. Very similar to L. parahybana, which I do own. Mine's a fairly slow grower, "only" went from 1/4-1/2" or so to maybe 2" now, just over a year later, but I prefer to err on the side of a lean, healthy diet. {D Mine'll get big when it gets big, and no sooner.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Jus to echo everyones sentiment no handling (and no reaching in the enclosure with his hand). Mine for example outside of pre-molt with go after anything in the enclosure thinking it food, she is not much of a hair kicker.

As for moisture, I tend to overfill the water dish and have about 75% of the mesh on top cover in plastic.

Just have you friend be aware that as slings and small juvies they tend to stay hidden/burrowed until they get to a few inches in size then they stay out in the open more.

If your friend really ones something with size he can handle than a G.aureostriata would fit the bill better.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with the above posts. Mine is around 2.5" now, and is not much of a hair kicker, but goes after anything that I put into the enclosure (water stream, tweezers, crickets, etc.) It can move pretty quickly when it wants to, as well; far quicker than I have ever seen my g. aureostriata move. So I would say, beautiful to look at, terrific eater, no touch ;) .

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, I agree, I sure wouldn't try and handle mine. Find out how important the idea of handling is to your friend. If he thinks that is what he wants, tell him to go with a G. aureostriata.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Never mind geniculata, now he's leaning towards an A. seemani. What do you all think?

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Than man obviously enjoys stripes. Might I suggest E. campestratus for a stripe legged T. that isn't as skittish as A. seemani.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I gave my friend a genic sling for his first T and he's had no problems. They're easy to care for & he knows it sees everything as food, kicks hairs, & not to handle it. As long as a person understands those things about A. geniculata, I think they can make a great beginner-level T.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Than man obviously enjoys stripes. Might I suggest E. campestratus for a stripe legged T. that isn't as skittish as A. seemani.
Yep, he definitely wants a dark T with white stripes. :p I've never heard of E. campestratus before. None of the T-selling sites have them.

Last edited:

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I got my A. geniculata from NWInverts it was a beefy 1 incher. I opened the vial and it immediately began kicking hairs at me. I thought it was cute and took it home. I have never owned a more spastic and crazy tarantula; yet it runs and hides everytime I even come close to the container... With an attitude as unpredictable as the one mine has, I would rather hold my OBT or my P. regalis than my genic. It is a timid but I love the fuzzy 'Kitten' to death (yes, Kitten is its name), and I think they are awesome. They are a good beefy tarantula that moves supprisingly fast. Mine has been quite entertaining, even though it isn't as cuddly as it's name suggests.

For the cuddle factor, only my ultimate male G. rosea (Snack Pack is his name) seems to fit the bill. He tends to be a snuggly little freak. People may say that they are the run of the mill boring starter tarantula, but I think their subtle beauty and hardyness is not something to turn a nose up at. So I am going to second the G. aureostriata vote. They aren't as fiesty with the hair kicking (which is good if your friend has an allergy - may be something to test out first), and not as seemingly 'bland' as a rose.

Yay for new T lovers!