A. geniculata, C. cyaneopubescens, or P. imperator?

Which invert should I buy?

• A. geniculata

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • C. cyaneopubescens

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • P. imperator

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
When summer comes around, I have a bit of a choice to make. I WANTED to get a sling of both A. genic and C. cyaneopubescens, but a lot of people have told me to just get a confirmed female juvenile of one of them. I also just remembered that a LPS had dozens of P. imperator scorplings (YES, true emperors. They let me hold one of the mommas, and they have several more adults that aren't for sale) back in November. I don't know how big they are now, but they're on the list as well.
So... *ugh* the choices... Which should I go with?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty I suggest to you (especially in the case of A.geniculata) to buy a confirmed female as well. See no point (aside for breeding projects or the "I want to raise a sling" statements) into having a less bigger, short lifespan male.

As far as P.imperator are concerned, if you really manage to find a true one, go for it. Aren't so common und available today like once those used to be.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
In all honesty I suggest to you (especially in the case of A.geniculata) to buy a confirmed female as well. See no point (aside for breeding projects or the "I want to raise a sling" statements) into having a less bigger, short lifespan male.

As far as P.imperator are concerned, if you really manage to find a true one, go for those. Aren't so common und available today like once those used to be.
I would love the genic for its size and eating, but the GBB is flashier and webs heavily. The P. imperator is huge too, and looks wicked cool, and it was the animal that first got me into inverts in the first place, but it doesn't produce silk so I don't know which one i want :(

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would love the genic for its size and eating, but the GBB is flashier and webs heavily. The P. imperator is huge too, and looks wicked cool, and it was the animal that first got me into inverts in the first place, but it doesn't produce silk so I don't know which one i want :(
Well, if space and money aren't an issue (consider however that I talk from my Italian/European "T's prices" point of view, where actually A.geniculata and 'GBB' are very cheap) I would buy both.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I got a 3/4" GBB sling last month for only $35. Well worth the investment to watch it transform. Even it if turns out to be a male it's still fun to raise a sling.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Get the emperors while they're available. You can get the tarantulas later for sure, but you may never see emperors for a good price again...

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Good rule of thumb....If you can buy a confirmed female for under the cost of 4 slings then its a good deal. If she is more costly buy the 4 slings to end up with at least one female. the other females/males can be traded or sold.

cold blood

Staff member
i agree and disagree....i agree that genic is the best choice...But i would never in a million years fork out the bucks for a confirmed female genic (or anything with fast growth).

1. You can get them cheap, like 10 bucks....5 for 50 or less than half of a female.
2. They grow like weeds, so you will get confirmation of sex in less than a year.
3. At which point you sell the remainders for 30 bucks and get your female AND the process will pay you $70 for your new female.

Work smarter, not harder.

This process can be executed with any species, its just more time consuming with slow growers (but often even more profitable).

If you go gbb, joe rossi has them on sale for a great price right now.

Compared to the ts, that scorp is boring...jmo....ts are cooler.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd get the genic female and then a GBB sling (even if the GBB turns out to be male there's still a demand for them from breeders due to the female's tendency to go all Sil from Species on them).

I agree, I have a female H. laoticus and she's so boring compared to my Ts, she's almost never out and has a pretty poor appetite.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Out of those choices, the genic sounds like the most fun to me.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
i agree and disagree....i agree that genic is the best choice...But i would never in a million years fork out the bucks for a confirmed female genic (or anything with fast growth).

1. You can get them cheap, like 10 bucks....5 for 50 or less than half of a female.
2. They grow like weeds, so you will get confirmation of sex in less than a year.
3. At which point you sell the remainders for 30 bucks and get your female AND the process will pay you $70 for your new female.

Work smarter, not harder.

This process can be executed with any species, its just more time consuming with slow growers (but often even more profitable).

If you go gbb, joe rossi has them on sale for a great price right now.

Well, thread closed. That's about it :D

But if you insist on getting a confirmed female, A. geniculata all the way. Not as pretty as the GBB, but you can't beat their "everything is food!" attitude.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Hey, that's pretty good
I'm not sure what the prices are like in the states but a 2" female genic is nearly half the price of a female GBB of the same size here (could get a 2" genic female and 2 GBB slings for roughly the same price as a 2" GBB female), GBB slings are awesome to raise too.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I'm not sure what the prices are like in the states but a 2" female genic is nearly half the price of a female GBB of the same size here (could get a 2" genic female and 2 GBB slings for roughly the same price as a 2" GBB female), GBB slings are awesome to raise too.
2 inch juvies arent normally sexed tho

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
2 inch juvies arent normally sexed tho
With an exuvia, sexing a 2" spider wouldn't be too difficult. That's actually the size that you can get really accurate, easy sexes in my experience. Much smaller than that is possible, but a bit of a crapshoot.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I really have enjoyed watching the growth my genic gains after a molt. I have not enjoyed my GBB at all but I think mine is a rare example.

I like watching slings grow. And genics grow fast. Worst case scenario you get a boy, hang out with him for a few years and then send him off to do his job and get another one.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
2 inch juvies aren't normally sexed though
Some species can be accurately vent sexed at that size (obviously moult sexing is a lot more accurate), I've only bought 3 unsexed at that size, 2 turned out to be female and one is suspect female pending an intact exuvia.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Some species can be accurately vent sexed at that size (obviously moult sexing is a lot more accurate), I've only bought 3 unsexed at that size, 2 turned out to be female and one is suspect female pending an intact exuvia.
What's the difference between the Premium classifieds and the regular classifieds?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
What's the difference between the Premium classifieds and the regular classifieds?
I have no idea, I've only had a brief look on the regular ones and couldn't find anyone selling in the UK (kind of expected as I think this forum is US based).