A. geniculata burrowing

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Is it normal for a juvie A. geniculata to burrow?

Ive had this T for a few weeks already ad it has been out and about all the time and feeding without a problem. just yesterday I noticed it push a lot of substrate out of the hide I put in the enclosure. This morning there was a tunnel going more than half the length of the enclosure along the wall so I could see into the burrow.

I havent read anywhere that these tarantulas burrow. Im not sure if its premolt behavior since it doesnt have a bald spot on its abdomen yet and doesnt seem any darker than usual.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
My genic sling burrowed. I think most terrestrial Ts will burrow some if they don't find adequate cover. My smithi sling has burrowed under it's cork bark too

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Ive heard the slings will but didnt think this juvie would. Ill add some more cork bark to the enclosure in case it does feel too exposed.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My genic sling has an extensive branching network of tunnels. I wasn't expecting it either.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I will pay for witness such a thing, I mean, an (adult) A.geniculata living a carefree happy life in her burrow like an amateur Goddess. Mine, and those I had, were/are always out in the open, no matter how much "eyes" watch... you are even able to summon one of those flying monsters full of eyes?
Like nothing :-(

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Just about every species burrows as sling/juveniles. But yes, acanthoscuria will burrow.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I guess it just wanted to dig! It spend most of its time outside of the burrow and only retreats when I open the enclosure to clean or add water but has no hesitation on emerging from the burrow for food like a typical genic.