A. geniculata arrived today. One is super active, the other isn't. Any ideas?

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
My 2 A. geniculata's arrived this morning. I got them from The Spider Shop here in the UK.

I ordered slings (1cm). I enjoy watching them grow from babies. My son was very interested in T's so I got him one too (although it remains in my care) so I figured it would be a great first T.

I unpacked them. They were packed in vials in slightly damp kitchen towel. Box was well packaged. I filed the vials with soil almost to the top leaving a space and put them in their homes. I used organic plant soil that loose enough to allow them to burrow.

The one spider was instantly active. He started digging and ended up digging to the bottom of the vial. He's made this cool tunnel system that's visible. Really cool to see.

The other spider is just sitting on the substrate. He hasn't dug anything.

They're in a room that has a temperature of 27c. They're currently in one of the shelves on my desk. It's nice and dark with a bit of light, and warm.

The dormant spider moves. He's pretty agile. Except he's not really doing much.

Just looking for a bit of advice on why this could be?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Even sac mates raised right next to each other in the same conditions can have different behaviors. Why? I dunno, man. Ask them. I have 2 P. sazimais from the same batch that are totally different. One is growing faster and burrows more.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
It's not uncommon for Ts of the same sac...or even different sacs but the same species to have different behaviors. I have several LPs out of the same sac set up in individual deli cups...3 of which have made tunnels and the rest are out in the open. 5 of them if you open their lids they scatter under leaves while a couple don't have a care in the world and will just stay there in the 1 spot.

Also, yes it's also common for them to grow at different rates too. I have 3 that are about 1 1/2- 2 inches while others are maybe 1 inch. I've had that happen with my A. geniculatas, P. irminias, and B. vagans.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It's very normal for them to behave differently. If you buy two kittens from the same litter, they won't be exactly the same. They may look the same but are different entities. Same goes for Ts :D I have two Avic avics and they're like day and night.

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
I didn't even realise this posted. I was on 4G at the time and I kept getting errors when trying.

Just to update all is well. Both are great :)

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
My 2 A. geniculata's arrived this morning. I got them from The Spider Shop here in the UK.

I ordered slings (1cm). I enjoy watching them grow from babies. My son was very interested in T's so I got him one too (although it remains in my care) so I figured it would be a great first T.

I unpacked them. They were packed in vials in slightly damp kitchen towel. Box was well packaged. I filed the vials with soil almost to the top leaving a space and put them in their homes. I used organic plant soil that loose enough to allow them to burrow.

The one spider was instantly active. He started digging and ended up digging to the bottom of the vial. He's made this cool tunnel system that's visible. Really cool to see.

The other spider is just sitting on the substrate. He hasn't dug anything.

They're in a room that has a temperature of 27c. They're currently in one of the shelves on my desk. It's nice and dark with a bit of light, and warm.

The dormant spider moves. He's pretty agile. Except he's not really doing much.

Just looking for a bit of advice on why this could be?
I have 3 versicolors all with different personalities. One is super jumpy and has thrown up a threat pose at me multiples times and another is so laid back that I bet I could pet it if I wanted to. XD All Ts have different personalities, if the sling looks well fed and hydrated, and has access to some water in case it became dehydrated during shipping, than I wouldn't worry too much. Probably just needs some time to settle in. :p