A. geniculata abdomen problem

ResidentOfEvil

Arachnopeon
hiya, my a.genic has some weird white patches on its abdomen, and is not eating, I thought it was coming up to a molt, but its been like this for a couple of weeks now. Not sure what it is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's just kicked off some urticating hairs. Perfectly normal.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The closer it gets to its next molt, the darker those spots will become!

ResidentOfEvil

Arachnopeon
I thought that was the case too, but its stopped eating, which is weird because it always eats! And because the patches arent dark, it kinda worried me

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I thought that was the case too, but its stopped eating, which is weird because it always eats! And because the patches arent dark, it kinda worried me
Well sometimes I've noticed some of my NWs will begin kicking hair a month or two before a molt, or their hair there will become loose and fluff off in clumps, making it look a little bit like mold or something. They usually stop eating around that same time too. When those bald patches become dark, a molt is usually a very short time away (like in a couple of weeks).

With your girl being quite the fatty, I'll bet on it starting it's premolt fast. Like I said, perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about:D

Here are some threads to ease your mind!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dear lord I wish mine would stop eating! It's abdomen is just as bald as can be. As fat as she is, she should be huge when she does.

skadoesch

Arachnopeon
bald patches

are you sure man? that doesnt seem normal at all, mt T molted 2 months ago and it has the same bald patches, and alot more, i dont think it has to do with molting, and there is no way she's going to molt again soon

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's probably stressed or just enjoys laying urticating hairs on the substrate for protection against predatores. Doesn't neccesaricly mean the spider is about to molt.