a. genic is sleeping with the fish sticks

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
my sweet, poor, freshly moulted, newly matured and very deformed half-dead a. geniculata has officially offed himself.

in spite of my urges to "hold on," he drowned himself today. i found him sitting with his abdomen in the shallow water dish i provided in his emergency care container.

now he's in my freezer, waiting until i can find some willing taxidermist that will pose and mount him for me.

good luck, bela, wherever you are. you were my favorite. and i loved you so...

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry Krystal,
Thats really sad.
But sleeping with the fishsticks.:? Kinda funny.

Ernie

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your loss:( :(

I was saddened when my a. geniculata died also it was the most handleable T i have ever owned it was a true sweetheart.

Wayne H

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm really sorry to hear about your genic :( . Have you considered the goldfish bowl method of preservation -- filled with acryllic hardening liquid? It will come out like a crystal ball with a spider smack dab in the middle if you do it right.

Maybe it is something that the taxadermist could do.

Jon

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hey jon--

where would one get some acrylic hardening liquid stuff? home depot or something? if you have any info about different types, etc, i'd be interested in knowing a little more about them, because even though i love bugs and stuff, it still sort of creeps me out that there's a dead, frozen tarantula in my freezer.

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm really sorry to hear that...sounds like the t was a real awesome one to have left this impression on you.

Risto

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
hey jon--

where would one get some acrylic hardening liquid stuff? home depot or something? if you have any info about different types, etc, i'd be interested in knowing a little more about them, because even though i love bugs and stuff, it still sort of creeps me out that there's a dead, frozen tarantula in my freezer.
I've seen the stuff in the fake plant section at wal-mart. I've never used it, but am planning on it when my t's go.

If I was to do it myself, and I really wanted it to look right, I think that I would get a couple of goldfish bowl (or what ever other containers, and do 1 or 2 test runs before I tried it with the spider -- just to make sure I do it right.

Maybe a glass globe -- the kind that covers light fixtures.

Get a hold of a taxonomist.

Jon

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
my sweet, poor, freshly moulted, newly matured and very deformed half-dead a. geniculata has officially offed himself.

in spite of my urges to "hold on," he drowned himself today. i found him sitting with his abdomen in the shallow water dish i provided in his emergency care container.

now he's in my freezer, waiting until i can find some willing taxidermist that will pose and mount him for me.

good luck, bela, wherever you are. you were my favorite. and i loved you so...
So sorry, Krystal. My condolences.

Joy

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
where would one get some acrylic hardening liquid stuff?
Check Garden Ridge, I saw exactly what's being described here...clear, hardening stuff and its made specifically to encase items and remain clear (not yellow or cloudy). Also a good source of fake plants and other stuff. Sorry about your loss.

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I too, am verry sorry to hear of your loss...seems like a couple have been posted today...

-Edgar