Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

A friendly digger

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Aunyanka Alexander, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    My roomate is hoping to get an obligatory borrower for her next T and so I'm trying to figure out which species of the sort are friendliest? Itll be her 2nd T. Reccomendations?

2. Demonclaws

Demonclaws Arachnosquire Active Member

A. seemanni. Most common, affordable, and beginner friendly. Although some would argue they are opportunistic burrowers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon

A. seemanni will burrow. You won't see much of it though.
    They're pretty skittish

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

A. seemanni is probably your best bet although I wouldn't exactly call them "friendly", they can still be pretty defensive

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Aphonopelma seemanni is the only burrower I'd recommend to a beginner. Many other burrowing species have nasty temperaments, nasty venom, or both.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnoknight

Why not go with the best obligate burrower on the market today? The P.muticus of course. Your welcome

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FrDoc

FrDoc Gen. 1:24-25 Arachnosupporter

Fossorials get a bad rap for being defensive. Actually, they act that way because they are...wait for it...FOSSORIAL! They live in burrows...alone, and they like it that way. If they are out and you come around, they will generally retreat into their...burrow. If you keep them from retreating, or pursue them into their burrow, they do not like it. Consequently, they will let you know they don’t appreciate you, and most are well equipped to do so. Tell her to pick one out and enjoy watching some of the coolest tarantulas around. Their lifestyle is by far the most interesting in the hobby (I opine), cool burrows, tunnels, webbing, crazy feeding responses, and they will pounce on prey their own size or larger. Are they more exhilarating to rehouse than a Brachy or a Grammy? Yep. Are they any more difficult than any arboreal? Nope. I have come to really enjoy them. Now that my fossorial commercial is over, my suggestion for the first is H. himalayana. They are gorgeous. Mine is out much of the time, webs ridiculous (like, the entire enclosure), and it has never thrown me a threat pose, even during rehousing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

I know I also shouldn't be reccing an OW T, but Harpactira species are pretty low key to me. Mine is pretty calm. All you need to do with fast/defencive OW fossorials is to let them have their space and they are happy little campers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

CA
    True, but the rehouse into the new enclosure might bring about “unfriendly” behavior. Sure, the keeper in question may be more than able to handle it but it might be quite a shock for them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnoknight

The best part about fossorial tarantulas is you can house them in permanent enclosure right off the bat. They will make a small burrow at first and make it bigger as they grow. Never had to rehouse one as i always house them in permanent enclosures from the start, yes even slings and i have never had issues in the many years doing so

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. I've wondered if that's doable for some time now. I couldnt do it with an arboreal, and for surface dwelling terrestrial like grammastolas I'd be worried about not being able to see them to know if they are eating or behaving normally, but I guess it makes perfect sense for a digger. Thanks for the tip!

Luckily there are two of us to help with the rehousing. 2 catch cups is better than 1 right? Lol!

12. Well my roomie isnt quite ready for a 2nd T just yet, but I am loving the recommendations and new information I'm getting about them. Feel free to gush and show off your favorite borrower.

Personally I dont think I'd enjoy a borrower much unless I could see the tunnels. Or maybe if ilthey had the trap door thing going on. I always thought that was nifty.

I didnt realise that they ALSO web though. That's kewl. I love webs!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoangel Active Member

Orphnaecus philippinus is good choice, if you can find one. They're the only OW I know of with mild venom, they have a really nice color, and don't really look like any other T, instead looking more like true spider. They're fast and will bolt, but if you give them enough soil they'll bolt down their hole, instead of out of the enclosure

14. ThorsCarapace22

ThorsCarapace22 Arachnosquire

Aphonopelma chalcodes. You will most likely never see it. :) and they dig dig dig. Plus they are super cheap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.