A friend just moved to TX and ...

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
she's already had 2 small scorps in her house. Hasn't seen any Ts yet, but I have her watching for them.

She's between Tyler and Flint, so any ideas on what scorps she might have seen? Any T's she might see?

And is it legal in TX for her to collect and ship anything to me? And if so, the best way for her to get the scorp in the deli cup without stinging? (I'm impressed that her first response wasn't, "Why would you want those????" Or "I'm not getting that close to them!!!"

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they are most likely Centruroides vittatus which are ALL over the place. tell her to check her shoes and clothes when she puts them on. i haven't ever been stung but i know a lot of people that have. also tell her to be careful of rattle snakes if she goes out in the fields cause they are out right now since its warmer. they will go relax in the road and on rocks. the tarantulas are all over also... she will see more of them when it rains though. {D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are most likely Centruroides vittatus which are ALL over the place. tell her to check her shoes and clothes when she puts them on. i haven't ever been stung but i know a lot of people that have. also tell her to be careful of rattle snakes if she goes out in the fields cause they are out right now since its warmer. they will go relax in the road and on rocks. the tarantulas are all over also... she will see more of them when it rains though. {D
rattlers here are very uncommon in that part of texas.
i have never collected a single individual in the eastern portion of the state.
i tend to find them southwest of dallas..although we do have timber rattlers an hour north.

you are right about the scorps..plenty of them out there..certainly mainly vittatus

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh well thats good then... i wasn't too sure.. but we do have them around these parts :)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh well thats good then... i wasn't too sure.. but we do have them around these parts :)
yes, probably plenty, although..i never found atrox in austin when i lived there[just luck of the draw]..but i did find several blacktails![even better]
god i miss austin.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as far as picking them up...where i come from theres tons of them and we keep/kill them for display and anti-venom. we usually grab long scissors or tongs and pick them up by their tails or just move them with a stick kinda like you would a t. otherwise they have a nasty sting, so make sure she checks her sheets at night too, when i was little i had to share a bed with my baby brother and he let the sheets dangle to the floor...needless to say a scorpion crawled up the sheets into his shirt and stung him once in the shoulder and then again in the neck when he jumped after the first sting. and another time i found one under my pillow. otherwise i always found them in the sink or out under rocks.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its legal for her to collect them, as long as she doesnt collect them off the roads or roadsides. Thats a big no-no right now unfortunatly.

As for what species of tarantula shes likely to find, I believe they are all A hentzi out that way. Or some other described species thats probably hentzi anyway.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
she's already had 2 small scorps in her house. Hasn't seen any Ts yet, but I have her watching for them. ...
A funny story that will be no help to you whatsoever I'm afraid.

I know a family in Texas who, several years ago, purchased a brand new home in suburban Dallas. Of particular interest was their son Billy. Billy's bedroom, unlike everyone else's, was on the ground floor. (I'm changing names here so I don't get sent a letter bomb!)

Billy was in high school at the time, and like most teenagers, he liked to stay up until the wee hours of the morning, watching TV, phoning his buddies and girls, whatever. (Anything but homework!) He'd normally get to bed by about 3 AM.

That means that he was always late getting up for school the next morning. So, he developed a system whereby he'd leave his clothes and books lying on the floor just in front of his bedroom door and arranged in an optimal way to facilitate getting into them as he raced for the front door to catch the school bus.

Except that about once a month, maybe more often in warmer weather, he'd make it some distance down the hallway or across the living room and start jumping up and down, yelling, swearing and tearing his clothes off!

It seems that all the doors in the house cleared the sills and carpeting by perhaps half an inch, which meant that the local scorpions literally had something akin to an airport runway leading into their new home. And every one of those scorpions knew exactly where to find Billy's pile of clothes!

Billy has grown to really hate those little, yellow, Texas, bark scorpions! :D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A funny story that will be no help to you whatsoever I'm afraid.

I know a family in Texas who, several years ago, purchased a brand new home in suburban Dallas. Of particular interest was their son Billy. Billy's bedroom, unlike everyone else's, was on the ground floor. (I'm changing names here so I don't get sent a letter bomb!)

Billy was in high school at the time, and like most teenagers, he liked to stay up until the wee hours of the morning, watching TV, phoning his buddies and girls, whatever. (Anything but homework!) He'd normally get to bed by about 3 AM.

That means that he was always late getting up for school the next morning. So, he developed a system whereby he'd leave his clothes and books lying on the floor just in front of his bedroom door and arranged in an optimal way to facilitate getting into them as he raced for the front door to catch the school bus.

Except that about once a month, maybe more often in warmer weather, he'd make it some distance down the hallway or across the living room and start jumping up and down, yelling, swearing and tearing his clothes off!

It seems that all the doors in the house cleared the sills and carpeting by perhaps half an inch, which meant that the local scorpions literally had something akin to an airport runway leading into their new home. And every one of those scorpions knew exactly where to find Billy's pile of clothes!

Billy has grown to really hate those little, yellow, Texas, bark scorpions! :D
i dunno..i have lived in Dallas for almost 39 years and have hunted and collected in almost ever creekbed, pasture, and patch of woods.
and can't say that i have seen more than five scorps in my life here.
i think they exaggerated the numbers a bit.
you gotta watch Texas tales..they can be pretty big.:D

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Its legal for her to collect them, as long as she doesnt collect them off the roads or roadsides. Thats a big no-no right now unfortunatly.

As for what species of tarantula shes likely to find, I believe they are all A hentzi out that way. Or some other described species thats probably hentzi anyway.
I doubt they will find any tarantulas out that way, i have a time share in Flint and have scoured that area and havent seen anythign remotly resembling a T. but there are ltos of C. vitattus scorps there and some cool milipedes.

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
So how about suggestions on how she should pack the scorps? I want the little guys to arrive alive :clap:

She's more than willing to ship to me if she can catch them :worship:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So how about suggestions on how she should pack the scorps? I want the little guys to arrive alive :clap:

She's more than willing to ship to me if she can catch them :worship:
just like in the tarantula packing post in articles