A friend bought me another T yesterday.

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
He said it was sold as a Featherleg Baboon. Not sure yet as to what it actually is (thought from the below comments, it's most likely a Cyriopagopus sp. "blue") but it does have some similiarities with Stromatopelma Calceatum pictures that I have looked at. I would say it maybe 3"

It is amazingly fast and aggressive. However it seems to have settled into it's new home rather nicely.

This is P. Murinus that I picked up last week, she's a real cutey.

Last edited:

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks more like a Pokie imo, a bit too blue-ish for a calceatum...what substrate do you use for both of these Ts? avoid cedar/pine/any coniferous bark as these are natural insecticides. I would use a mix of peat moss and potting soil ( fertilizer/insecticide free) :)

ChondroGirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd also say it is too blue for a Stromatopelma, but...then again it doesn't quite match up with other singapore blues I've seen. I do agree though that it does look much more like a Cyriopagopus sp. than anything else. Pictures can distort a little bit sometimes, but I would go with that it is a Cyriopagopus with little doubt. Very pretty, too! Congratulations!

As far as substrate goes, the bark has been reported to cause a lot of problems with a variety of animals. So, to play it safe, I would change it out for some other sort of substrate the next time you clean your tanks. I've never noticed a problem with it for the short time I had my own spiders on it, but I quickly changed when I found out that problems are a possible occurrence. Plus, using something that has more of a soil look does improve the overall look of the vivarium! I personally use a peat & sphagnum moss mix. But, to each his own. I just recommend doing some research and looking at substrates that appeal to you. BUT, do the research on the substrate before you buy it and use it.

Nice T's, again! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
where do you get peat moss? potting soil from a hardware store? I kind of live in the middle of nowhere. . .but I will def change to whatever they need. The OBT has already dug a burrow and webbed it up quite nicely.

I looked at some Cy sp. Blue pictures and they do resemble him/her alot.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, you can buy it in smaller bags, or large bales at hardware stores. Just be very aware and read the bags, to make sure that it does not contain any pesticides or fertilizers. You want just straight up dirt. A lot of people mix peat and potting soil or whatever, I just use peat. I have heard that it has a slightly higher acid content which makes it a little harder for mold to take hold (haha I rhymed :nerd:). But if you keep an enclosure bog-like, you'll probably get mold someday.

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
I used Exo-terra Jungle Earth as the substrate but if that's not good I can switch to moss/potting soil. I just want what's best for my T's :) Thanks for the ID, I'll try to get some better photos up later, after I trek down to my pet store and photo the rest of his T's and so ya'll can tell me what they are as well.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Yes, you can buy it in smaller bags, or large bales at hardware stores. Just be very aware and read the bags, to make sure that it does not contain any pesticides or fertilizers. You want just straight up dirt. A lot of people mix peat and potting soil or whatever, I just use peat. I have heard that it has a slightly higher acid content which makes it a little harder for mold to take hold (haha I rhymed :nerd:). But if you keep an enclosure bog-like, you'll probably get mold someday.
not to make this into a substrate thread, but def get rid of the chips. right away. peat, dirt, exo-terra, potting soil, whatever works just about fine, lots better than wood chips. don't think it matters too much, just a lot of preference, so i think exo-terra will work ok. peat moss is good like truff said, i have had almost no problems with mold. plus its really cheap at home depot for a 40-lb bale that last forever. enjoy your new spiders!!!

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
not to make this into a substrate thread, but def get rid of the chips. right away. peat, dirt, exo-terra, potting soil, whatever works just about fine, lots better than wood chips. don't think it matters too much, just a lot of preference, so i think exo-terra will work ok. peat moss is good like truff said, i have had almost no problems with mold. plus its really cheap at home depot for a 40-lb bale that last forever. enjoy your new spiders!!!
I am using exo-terra. The pictures are zoomed in, which may be making it seem like large chips. Home depot for peat moss, k I have one of those about 50 miles away so I should be able to get that.

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
okay so if it is a C. sp. "Blue" (and is that really the scientific name?) which it does look like, was $25 a good deal?

Also, from reading, it seems like the juveniles like burrowing but the become arboreal later?

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My are you lucky ! :D My freinds just think I'm odd because I have a "bunch of big hairy spiders". I would flip if one of them actually bought me one.

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
well I have a truck and he doesn't and he needed to move a pretty big trailer, so he gave me gas money and a new T. I thought it was well worth it. Now all I have to do is get the little guys setup right.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, if that is a C. sp. blue and he paid $25 for it he got a good deal. You can use organic potting soil, or peat moss, (we mix them) but either bake or freeze your substrate before you use it, it will kill all of the little bugs in it than can infest your T's housing.

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
I went ahead and bought new substrate for the new T's. I bought zilla fir and spangham moss mix and a bag of zilla terarrium peat moss, will this be okay for my 2 new T's?

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
peat moss is good like truff said, i have had almost no problems with mold. plus its really cheap at home depot for a 40-lb bale that last forever. enjoy your new spiders!!!

I think this kind of depends on where you live, and the season. My Home Depot only had one lonely 10lb bag on the shelf of Scott's 100% Sphagum Peat Moss. Just not growing season in NE in the winter. :p

You should be ok with what you got. I personally would steer clear of anything that had any kind of tree product in it (like the fir), just on the outside chance of residual oils that are suppose to be harmful. JMO.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I think this kind of depends on where you live, and the season. My Home Depot only had one lonely 10lb bag on the shelf of Scott's 100% Sphagum Peat Moss. Just not growing season in NE in the winter. :p

You should be ok with what you got. I personally would steer clear of anything that had any kind of tree product in it (like the fir), just on the outside chance of residual oils that are suppose to be harmful. JMO.
hmmm, interesting. my home depot had the 10-lb bags, but waaay in the back, they had lots of 40-lbs and 80-lbs bags as well...

and ditto about the tree products. i just wouldn't take a chance.