A few questions about Mexican Red Rump

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
Hello, a week ago I got my first tarantula, it's still pretty young but old enough to take home. The breeder gave me some details but i'm just so overprotective. I've researched like crazy but can't help myself and I really want to ask just a few questions.

1. My spider dug a pretty deep hole but it collapsed. She got out safe and sound. I gave her two hides and now she's at the other one but she isn't really digging that deep anymore. Can it have something to do with the fact that she is in premolt? (also, i call her a she but i don't know the sex yet)

2. Is my setup good? She is quite active and wanders around at night but she won't really go to the back anymore since it collapsed...

3. I have not once seen her drinking, is this because of premolt? She got into premolt like 2 days after I got her and she had eaten the day before.

Attachments

Devin B

Arachnobaron
1. Your tarantula probably isnt digging because it feels safe enough not to with the new hide. Its hard to tell if your tarantula is in premolt or not without a clear picture but signs include (but are not limited to) loss of appetite, lethargy, dark shiny abdomen, and making a molt mat.

2. The number 1 issue with your enclosure is the amount of vertical space. If your T were to climb to the top and fall it could die from a ruptured abdomen.

3. Tarantulas only drink when they feel like it. Ive only seen it right after a molt. Ive seen my tarantula drink about 3 times in a year. They get most of their water from prey so thats no big deal.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello, a week ago I got my first tarantula, it's still pretty young but old enough to take home. The breeder gave me some details but i'm just so overprotective. I've researched like crazy but can't help myself and I really want to ask just a few questions.
Congratulations on your new pet, and you came to the right place.
What size is it DLS (Diagonal leg span)?
1. My spider dug a pretty deep hole but it collapsed. She got out safe and sound. I gave her two hides and now she's at the other one but she isn't really digging that deep anymore. Can it have something to do with the fact that she is in premolt? (also, i call her a she but i don't know the sex yet)
It collapsed, huh? Tarantulas like to burrow, especially terrestrial ones. They will regularly close off their burrows. How moist are you keeping the substrate?

2. Is my setup good? She is quite active and wanders around at night but she won't really go to the back anymore since it collapsed...
Honestly that enclosure is better for arboreal. When terrestrials are larger, they can fall and injure themselves. I hinted about burrowing before - terrestrials especially small ones prefer to burrow for safety.

3. I have not once seen her drinking, is this because of premolt? She got into premolt like 2 days after I got her and she had eaten the day before.
Why do you think premolt? I rarely see my Ts drink, but they do use it.

Get some pics of your T, and welcome to the boards!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Can't see the size of your brachypelma vagans? That's a red rump I think?
But can't see the setup of the whole enclosure.
They will dig as slings most tarantulas do, when mine was premolt it dug a burrow and blocked himself in.
I think they're more likely to drink in premolt since they don't normally eat during this time.
But if you don't see it drink it doesn't mean it isn't drinking. I think most people never see their tarantulas drink.

Just make sure the height isn't too big for a fatal fall, 1.5x leg width is the rule of thumb most people will tell you.
I also believe this species likes the substrate moist or at least part of it.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
2. The number 1 issue with your enclosure is the amount of vertical space. If your T were to climb to the top and fall it could die from a ruptured abdomen.
Not sure this applies to smaller terrestrial T's. Once they get some girth, certainly.

I'd be more concerned about it falling on all those hard decorations or getting stuck on the mesh up top.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can't see the size of your brachypelma vagans? That's a red rump I think?
But can't see the setup of the whole enclosure.
They will dig as slings most tarantulas do, when mine was premolt it dug a burrow and blocked himself in.
I think they're more likely to drink in premolt since they don't normally eat during this time.
But if you don't see it drink it doesn't mean it isn't drinking. I think most people never see their tarantulas drink.

Just make sure the height isn't too big for a fatal fall, 1.5x leg width is the rule of thumb most people will tell you.
I also believe this species likes the substrate moist or at least part of it.
Brachypelma prefer it dry. When they're smaller (I'm not talking ewl) a slightly moist substrate is ok. Just focus on that water dish always being full.

Most people have a hard time moistening substrate in moderation. You never want a swamp.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Not sure this applies to smaller terrestrial T's. Once they get some girth, certainly.

I'd be more concerned about it falling on all those hard decorations or getting stuck on the mesh up top.
Very true. Its hard to tell how big the T actually is but an injury from falling in one way or another is still the biggest problem that I see in the enclosure.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Brachypelma prefer it dry. When they're smaller (I'm not talking ewl) a slightly moist substrate is ok. Just focus on that water dish always being full.
Most people have a hard time moistening substrate in moderation. You never want a swamp.
True, I did read somewhere on this forum possibly @cold blood mentioning that this species appreciates slightly moist substrate.

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
She is in premolt, or that is what the breeder told me. I have some pics.

That's a shame, I was told it was the perfect cage for my mexican red rump, will have to look in that.

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
Oh god, I would not know the legspan and am too afraid to bother her now... she's as big as an oreo cookie.......

Her burrow collapsed because she wouldn't stop digging and eventually tried to make an opening in the roof?? So the roof was already thin and she broke it.

The breeder said it was a good cage for her? But I can look around for a flatter cage when she's a little bigger.

Here are some pics: first one is of her a week ago and second one is from yesterday i think. The breeder told me that she was due for molt and that i should not feed her until she molted bc it can stress her out. Also the white patches are from molting, yes?

Attachments

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
I have two, one with a sponge and one normal one. I wasn't sure which one she'd like...

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
I have it very very slightly moist, and the top layer normal to dry.

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
All my redrumps have 5" to 6" of substrate....they love to dig. I keep the substrate dry mostly but I flood the water dish weekly. Most only come out at night but the larger ones will stay out during the day. They also will go long periods of time in their burrows...sometimes up to 6 months. They really teach you patience as a keeper. I'd add more dirt, smaller water dish and remove the hide not being used. If you can get a shorter tank that would be good . Plants (fake) or moss around the objects in the tank will also help if she get curious and climbs around and falls. Good luck!

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
All my redrumps have 5" to 6" of substrate....they love to dig. I keep the substrate dry mostly but I flood the water dish weekly. Most only come out at night but the larger ones will stay out during the day. They also will go long periods of time in their burrows...sometimes up to 6 months. They really teach you patience as a keeper. I'd add more dirt, smaller water dish and remove the hide not being used. If you can get a shorter tank that would be good . Plants (fake) or moss around the objects in the tank will also help if she get curious and climbs around and falls. Good luck!
Okay, so should i get the sponge bowl out or the other one? The Hide is going away. I have more fake plants to add. She had lots of substrate to dig and it's mostly dry. Thanks you for the info!!

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
She looks small...id remove the sponge and fill that dish with water. I'd get rid of the large water dish for now. I don't like sponges myself.

cold blood

Staff member
True, I did read somewhere on this forum possibly @cold blood mentioning that this species appreciates slightly moist substrate.
Yes, vagans and albopilosum both appreciate a little moisture from time to time.

That's a shame, I was told it was the perfect cage for my mexican red rump
Its not...and its really not even close. Not only is it an arboreal enclosure type, but its about 3 times the size of what you would need.

You do have it set up nicely though.
she's as big as an oreo cookie.......
And probably 2-4 years old.

For the record, they can be sold at 2i, which is about 1/4"....so you can safely take them home when they are teeny tiny...the advantage is that tiny slings are ridiculously cheap.

The breeder said it was a good cage for her?
Shame on the breeder...just goes to show that not all breeders are necessarily up to date on their husbandry.

Were you sold the cage by the breeder? I ask because these enclosures are some of the most expensive you could possibly use, and generally the reason they are suggested is a greater profit margin for the seller.
I have two, one with a sponge and one normal one
No sponges...ever. Tarantulas don't drown in water dishes (in fact, they float).

A t doesn't drink often, but when they do, they like to stick their whole face into the water (remember, their breathing apparatus is on their rump).

Ssasha

Arachnosquire
Yes, vagans and albopilosum both appreciate a little moisture from time to time.

Its not...and its really not even close. Not only is it an arboreal enclosure type, but its about 3 times the size of what you would need.

You do have it set up nicely though.

And probably 2-4 years old.

For the record, they can be sold at 2i, which is about 1/4"....so you can safely take them home when they are teeny tiny...the advantage is that tiny slings are ridiculously cheap.

Shame on the breeder...just goes to show that not all breeders are necessarily up to date on their husbandry.

Were you sold the cage by the breeder? I ask because these enclosures are some of the most expensive you could possibly use, and generally the reason they are suggested is a greater profit margin for the seller.

No sponges...ever. Tarantulas don't drown in water dishes (in fact, they float).

A t doesn't drink often, but when they do, they like to stick their whole face into the water (remember, their breathing apparatus is on their rump).
It's slightly moistured but nothing to wet.

But about the size of the cage? Is the ground place to big? Is it just too high? I thought it was supposed to be 30x30x30 in cm.
The cage was not sold by the breeder himself, I showed him the cage before I bought it and he told me it was fine for an adult spider and that mine could be placed in that one too, unless I wanted to see more of her. But I didn't really wanna cause her more trouble so put her in the glass cage right away.

That's so weird, I asked someone else for a suitable drinking bowl and they gave me the sponge one with the argument that spiders can only suck water and not drink?

Lastly, I'm still fond of glass cages (with the escaping and all it's nearly impossible for them), what size should it be? And I want to get a Brazilian Black soon, maybe I should go to a different breeder, but does anyone know the cage sizing for a Brazilian black? Sorry for all my questions!! But thanks you!!