a few questions about mating for a first timer

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just mated my two roses, and i have a few questions.

Do the roseys usually need a hide or a do they borrow to make there egg sac? the reason i ask is because i don't have a hide in the tank and there is'nt enought substrate to borrow. Will this stressfull to live like this?

How long does it normaly take for the male rosea to be ready to mate again?

I have heard a lot that the female will try to eat the male so you have to seperate them quickly, but i never noticed any aggression form the female. Is this normal? or is she probably on another hunger strick.

How long will i have to wait before i will start to see signs of a successful mateing attempt? and what are they?

On the norm how many babys might she have if successful?

I am leaving for alberta in a few days so i don't have the time to do all the research and i have to get my girlfirend set up. I was suposed to have left last week but the bad weather stoped me.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Throw in a hide just in case. The females don't always eat the males. IME they never do unless he is left with her indefinitely. The time until she shows signs of sac construction varies. You may be able to control it with a cooling period, and then a warm/wet period, but she can lay anytime up until she molts...... Don't know about the qty. of slings for this sp..
For the record, I have never bred this sp.. I have only read about them. For the ones I have bred the above has held true.
Good luck,
Scott

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Throw in a hide just in case. The females don't always eat the males. IME they never do unless he is left with her indefinitely. The time until she shows signs of sac construction varies. You may be able to control it with a cooling period, and then a warm/wet period, but she can lay anytime up until she molts...... Don't know about the qty. of slings for this sp..
For the record, I have never bred this sp.. I have only read about them. For the ones I have bred the above has held true.
Good luck,
Scott
Thanks for the info, but i don't understand the warm/wet period? what does this mean? I have never heard of this. The g. rosea would not get a wet period in the wild or would they?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He means that bringing the T out of a cool period of time to a warm, wet period of time to mimic spring time might trigger the T to lay the egg sack after mateing before the cooling period. In the wild, some T's mate in the fall and slow way down during winter and when the spring rains come, they lay the eggs. G. rosea T's do come from an area that forces them to almost hybernate during the winter so if you were to mimic this, it might help.