A few question about Surinam roaches (Pycnoscelus surinamensis)

vounti

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone,

I ordered some Surinam cockroaches online since they are so easy to breed but I have a a few questions about their breeding, life cycle and how to care for them. The seller told me that they would need pretty wet substrate but how much wet ? Can I spray the top once a week?
The enclosure is ready. That is a 50x40x40cm terrarium with 10cm of coconut fiber. I tried to look on the internet but I seem to find no good articles/care sheet
So here are my questions:
- How wet does it have to be?
- Can they eat rotten fruits and vegetables?
- How often can adults give birth?
- Can they live without wood to eat?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I keep mine in peat moss. I do not wet it. I allow access to water crystals and moisten that side pretty infrequently.
I give them melon, apples, carrots... Whatever but not rotten.
They reproduce pretty fast. It's a little hard to keep track
Wood? I throw some rabbit pellets in and call it good.
The nymphs are great feeders for slings if you prekill.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thank you very much for the information
No problem.
Just one more thing. I keep them in a smooth tub with a thin smear of Vaseline around the inside in about a two inch wide ring. The young ones can climb.
No more than a couple inches of substrate. One small piece of egg crate on the surface to the side.
Have fun, man.
They're neat.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Allpets Roach Forum is also a good resource to check out for all things related to roaches.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

vounti

Arachnoknight
The shipment with the roaches arrives tomorrow or wednesday. I thought I was ready until I saw little breeches in the enclosure so I made a new one but I have zero airtight enclosures.. I will add a video to the post

Attachments

vounti

Arachnoknight
I wish I would not have to bother with vaseline because in my house sometimes the temperature reaches high. Do you guys think that if I add a heavy wood plank on the lid, would it be escape proof?

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
You should not wet them, also despite being able to climb they stay underground all the time.