a few pede pics

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just throwing in some pics. I saw the H. marginata in my wood pile. It wouldn't stay still.
S. h. castaneiceps (a pling from a light legged female)
S. subspinipes
H. marginata

cliff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice! The H.castaneiceps is gorgeous.

Thanks

Cliff

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BEAUTIFUL coloration on those first two! :drool: I'm jealous. Makes me wish my babies would grow up sooner!

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice pic of the Subspinipes, Galapo :). You must have put the camera quite close to it to take the shot!!!! How big is the beast?

phil.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! The subspinipes is about 7". I had taken another pic with a powerful LED flashlight and no flash. Does the LED pic look better to you? I'm thinking it looks better.

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The LED sort of brings out more details in the tegrites, but makes them look more yellow. I'm not sure of the actual color of the pede though, red or orange.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tried my LED flashlight on my Ts and it looks good but is too concentrated in a small area.. I think the light source would need to be bigger for a well lit pic.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea I agree. My camera exaggerates colors with the flash. Too much of a washed out red in the background when I use most artificial light and no flash. Natural light works best with this little camera. It's one of those little Nikon Coolpix.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have found that on my coolpix if i set the exposure to the first negative setting the colors come out more like what i see with my eyes.

ultimately the problem is matching a system where a computer interprets the ccd data and probably saves it as an algorithmically compressed file format... which you see on a monitor with settings and a computer's graphic's card with settings... basically every person ends up seeing a slightly different rendition of the original.

not to mention differences individuals' perceptions in eye biology and what not.

anyhow, my palelegs are still pale too. i think that is a pretty good sign they will retain it through adulthood. of course, with arthropod coloration stuff like humidity levels when molting and nutrition levels molting and intermolt can drastically affect the colors most humans would perceive...

whoosh

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"Whoosh" Yea that was a diddly! I didn't know the camera you bought was a coolpix. I like it. The exaggerated colors tend to come out when I use the flash. And adding to what you said, I also think there is something about the photosensor in the camera and the spectrum of artificial light I've tried that makes the pics orange. When I take pics using sunlight, the truer colors show up in the image.

I'm with you on the palelegs. There is very little doubt in my mind that the palelegs will stay pale. The male and female both had pale legs and all of the babies did too. I still have between 20 and 30 of the palelegs. There are a few monsters that are already between 3 and 4 inches:eek:. I'm wondering if they will be genetic monsters. Haha, or just stay 3 or 4 inches. Or if it means nothing at all. I've been feeding them equally in general. Just have to wait and see I guess. The mother is looking pretty large now. That's the one that bit my arm:? .

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that sounds like white balance, actually. i have to tell the camera if i am using the flash or if i am in good sunlight or cloudy day or flourescent or incandescant light etc.

if i don't have it on the right white balance then it does some pretty strange things with the colors.

i'm telling you, i've had my cam for over 6 months now, i think... and i am still learning settings and what not!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that sounds like white balance, actually. i have to tell the camera if i am using the flash or if i am in good sunlight or cloudy day or flourescent or incandescant light etc.

if i don't have it on the right white balance then it does some pretty strange things with the colors.

i'm telling you, i've had my cam for over 6 months now, i think... and i am still learning settings and what not!
White balance? I'll look into that. But when my camera is in Macro mode, there's nothing else on my camera to set that I can tell, I'll dig more into it but that looks like it. I can set it for sun, indoor, etc. but those are settings separate from my macro mode. Like there isn't a setting for macro/indoor or macro/outdoor or macro/cloudy.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
White balance? I'll look into that. But when my camera is in Macro mode, there's nothing else on my camera to set that I can tell, I'll dig more into it but that looks like it. I can set it for sun, indoor, etc. but those are settings separate from my macro mode. Like there isn't a setting for macro/indoor or macro/outdoor or macro/cloudy.
hmm, i just checked on mine and i can still change white balance when in macro mode. it is possible that they set it to flash or daylight white balance mode automatically for you. strangeness.

@philist... i have a Nikon Coolpix L3 5.1MP

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hmm, i just checked on mine and i can still change white balance when in macro mode. it is possible that they set it to flash or daylight white balance mode automatically for you. strangeness.

@philist... i have a Nikon Coolpix L3 5.1MP
Yea, that's what they did. Also, it automatically goes into one res when I'm in macro. I can't shoot in high res in macro. They just thought there wasn't a point in doing that since it's a close-up anyway. But I would've liked to zoom in more with the close-ups ....using the computer. I think it's one of the first coolpix, maybe the first model that came out, I'm not sure. But it's OK. I've taken almost 3500 pics with it with no problems so far. Sometimes it locks up but I just open the battery compartment to shut it down, kind of like rebooting.