I was playing around with my wifes camera again. :D

Naupheta cinerea

Panchlora nivea

Blatta lateralis female

male

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always loved insects. These guys are not even a tiny bit gross to me. I keep ten different species and handle all of them fairly regularly during cage cleaning and feeding. I find them quite beautiful in their own right.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah seriously. Just because it's got the name cockroach does not mean it is a disease carrying pest. To each their own. Dude didn't put it in your face and ask you to hold it, he just showed off some detailed pics.

On that note thanks for sharing, Vfox. How did the lobster roach get that name?

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments. Doesn't the lobster roaches pronotum look like a hooded man sitting in the lotus pose btw? Lol. As for how they got that name...no clue. I would assume it's something to do with them being a known ship pest in the carribean...or maybe they are colored like spiny lobsters? Not sure, just speculating.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice photos. I'd never noticed Buddha on the pronotum of a roach before.... maybe that means something! ;)

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great shots! The color of that lateralis female is just beautiful.

And RE the lobster roach pronotum: I see a lamp. (jk ;))

5HiddenLizards

Arachnopeon
Great photos! I am not a fan of roaches, but I DO photograph my lateralis & dubia colonies often. They are fascinating to watch.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I saw the hooded man when I looked at that picture too. Kinda looks like he's wearing shades. :cool: Pretty colours on some of those.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I see a Rorschach Unabomber in photo #2. How do those get those nanner roaches to stay on your fingers? Mine always take flight the moment freedom allows.

TheBugBarn

Arachnopeon
I am beyond grossed out. How can you bear to touch them?
This is the arachnoboards. If you own a T or are thinking about it, please understand this. Any of those roaches would make an awesome meal for your spider. Compared to crickets, they are a steak dinner. And, you can cut your T feeding bill in half. Then use that money to buy more spiders{D
....and what Orin said.
Those are some really nice pics. How do you get them to stay still that long? I never post pics because mine are always blurry.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well it takes a while of manipulating my hand to firstly keep them on top. Secondly it's luck of the draw for when they stop moving. I use a Nikon P90 that my wife has and I use its built in flash. It has a decent macro setting but the focal range is pretty low.

My wife helps me take the shots from time to time. The lobster roach and banana roach pics above were shot by her while I held them. It's a lot easier with a second person, controlling a fast moving roach AND taking it's photo can be a bit difficult lol.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful.
Love the lobster roach pronotum; apparently they get their name from the marking, which is supposed to look like a lobster. :p

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yay, one of my Schultesia lampyridiformis finally molted into adulthood! I changed their enclosure from deli-cup to small sterilite container and found my first adult rummaging about in the coco fiber. :D

I also move my Panchlora nivea into the same type of enclosure from the small one they had and found out I have 4 adults! I thought I only had two lol. Also a good thing. :D

crixalis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i love those shots, and i love cockroaches too!!
kudos :clap::clap:

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
great shots,i have a hard time getting them to pose as well,having someone else shoot is a great idea....lol
great shot of Schultesia lampyridiformis ,they are on the top of my current want-list,i love finding hidden adults you didnt know you had,i had given up on my therea culture,hadnt seen any in forever,and when i was feeding the other day found an adult..very nice find,now i want a bunch more
andy

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do those Panchlora nivea produce? I would love to get some new species of roaches other than the Dubia I got accidentally...but I'm limited to the few legal species. Buying roaches in Florida sucks. I doubt half the species on the market can infest Central Florida longer than a few weeks. It's already freezing.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do those Panchlora nivea produce? I would love to get some new species of roaches other than the Dubia I got accidentally...but I'm limited to the few legal species. Buying roaches in Florida sucks. I doubt half the species on the market can infest Central Florida longer than a few weeks. It's already freezing.
Well my colony of Panchlora nivea is not established yet but they seem to thrive in warm damp conditions. I got a small culture from Zephyr/ZephAmp a while ago, the adults just recently molted out so I'm hoping to see many more soon.

Because these are native to Florida you should be able to find them in the wild during the spring. If not, I'm unsure of he grey areas that Florida laws encompass...it seems only Hissers are really prohibited by any specific legislation. Native species may not be an issue since they are already established.