A few beginner centipede questions...

littlemoth

Arachnopeon
Recently I've decided that I'd like to get a centipede in the near future. I've been trying to do some research but my internet searches have not been very helpful and I believe I've exhausted every keyword my poor little brain could think of. Really all I've come across are care sheets and nothing that's been helpful to a few things I'm curious about.

I live in the states and have found it increasingly difficult to find any sellers for any in the US. Are there any good US sellers that anyone could recommend?

I also read in a different thread about bans on specific species in different states/cities/counties/etc. Again, my search yielded no helpful result. It is either difficult to find or I am not as good as researching as I thought... lol. Any ideas to where I can find about info about state bans?

I'm specifically looking for a Chinese mint leg, but as far as I've found on the internet, the one person I follow on instagram is the only person I've seen with one. Are they rare or more difficult to find?

Are different centipedes easier or more difficult to care for?

Should you isolate centipedes like you do snakes when feeding or is enclosure feeding okay?

Just trying to get a general idea of things and get all the information I possibly can before hopefully obtaining one of these beautiful creatures! Any info is welcome! Thanks!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You can keep the 'mint legs' just exactly like a S.subspinipes: same set up, same temperatures. The differences are on the price tag, 'mint legs' are priced, S.subspinipes very cheap. But as I've said, same care.

IMO centipedes, in general, aren't hard at all to care for/keep... but you want an escape proof enclosure, first thing first :-s

I simply fed mine (S.subspinipes) when she's out, for the rest she's a bit of a pet hole :)

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can sell you pretty much any US species if you want. Care is generally the same for "desert" species as for tropical ones. Most common cause of death is dessication or "drying out" because centipedes can't retain body fluids in dry air. Handling is not recommended. Isopods can help clean up food debris and fungus because rehousing for feeding can be troublesome. I highly recommend using a substrate the pede can burrow into as they like to molt in a chamber they create and often won't survive molting on loose substrate or just under a hide. No, the care is not easy compared to many T's and scorpions. It is best to get used to caring for inexpensive pedes before trying your hand with something pricey. I can give you a lot more information if you have questions, hope this helps

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
Be on the look out for reptile shows and reptile based pet stores. Call the stores for availability and check out the shows. You should certainly start with a more traditional centipede to see if you are even up for the challange. Pedes can certainly test your bravery at times and that is not for everybody

styrafoamcow

Arachnopeon
I can sell you pretty much any US species if you want. Care is generally the same for "desert" species as for tropical ones. Most common cause of death is dessication or "drying out" because centipedes can't retain body fluids in dry air. Handling is not recommended. Isopods can help clean up food debris and fungus because rehousing for feeding can be troublesome. I highly recommend using a substrate the pede can burrow into as they like to molt in a chamber they create and often won't survive molting on loose substrate or just under a hide. No, the care is not easy compared to many T's and scorpions. It is best to get used to caring for inexpensive pedes before trying your hand with something pricey. I can give you a lot more information if you have questions, hope this helps
what pedes you have for sale?