A dried out Genic

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Though I don't think its mites, but I have some white little buggers laying eggs in my A. Genic's water dish ( springtails I think ) . I am thinking I'm going to try to keep it a bit drier in its enclosure. Stats say 80% humidity. What's the worst that could happen at 60% for a prolonged period ?

If its a REALLY bad thing : how long can I dry the tank out before I need to worry ?

demode

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Genics can handle 70% ish humidity fine as long as there is a nicely filled waterdish. Genics have been found in grassland/step terrain a little drier than the forest.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are you using to measure the humidity? Cause 80% is hard to keep in a tank.
If it is springtails they are of no danger to your t at all. Just change the water dish more then usual and they will slowly disappear.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have one of those Exotera Hydrometers. I know it's probably not perfect, but it better than nothing.

Will drying out the substrate killl the springtails ?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have kept both my big female genics on dry substrate and a full water dish for a couple of years...both are doing very well...

Regards, Mike

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My genic stays on bone dry coco fiber. I dump a bunch of water on the substrate about once every six weeks or so, but mostly I keep it dry. It is just under 3 inches and seems to be doing fine.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
If it is an analog exoterra hygrometer it is as good as nothing. Compared the couple I had with a calibrated one from the lab they were off by about 30%, digital ones are pretty good only 5-10% off, from what i've seen. If springtails then they are actually beneficial as they eat mold. Are you sure they are not pinheads?

i keep my genic on a dry substrate with a full water dish and resitricted ventilation on the top, occasionally overflow the dish.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have kept both my big female genics on dry substrate and a full water dish for a couple of years...both are doing very well...

Regards, Mike
That's just what I wanted to hear !

Thanx Mike !

BTW Cool Avatar. It reminds me all red heads are CRAZY !