A. diversipes VERY evil

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All the other Avics I have are your 'standard' avics, in terms of behavior: a little skittish, but overall (to an extent), predictable.

This little monster, on the other hand, is a terror. Threat postures left and right, and ALWAYS trying to make an escape. A jumper, too. He's crafty. Named it Ares. Cause rawrawr.

Anyone else have any 'interesting' behavior to share?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I had a couple that were 2" but i sold them. One of the only Ts that vanished from right in front of my eyes. It showed up the next morning on the ceiling. They are very high strung IMO. Faster than pokies and run farther than most slings when spooked.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a couple that were 2" but i sold them. One of the only Ts that vanished from right in front of my eyes. It showed up the next morning on the ceiling. They are very high strung IMO. Faster than pokies and run farther than most slings when spooked.
I'm considering selling it... it's just way too fast and mean for me... and I have several Pokies that just don't hold a candle to this little dude's 'tude.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please please please post a picture of that! I am getting more and more interested in the aggressive tarantulas and the threat pose is always cool looking to me. The really fast T's are above my skill level for now, but I might be ready for one soon. Maybe an obt? The little orange devils are awesome!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please please please post a picture of that! I am getting more and more interested in the aggressive tarantulas and the threat pose is always cool looking to me. The really fast T's are above my skill level for now, but I might be ready for one soon. Maybe an obt? The little orange devils are awesome!
If it would hold still for it, I would... but it mostly just likes to shoop the whoop and teleport all over the place. {D

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a lot of avics and all of them are very shy. I have and adult female A. "amizonica" that, like your A. diversipes, is a very unfriendly individual. She has come after me many times so I have to keep my eye on her. Good luck with yours when it gets bigger.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LMAO! I really love this hobby. My girlfriend is warming up to it, but I still can't get her to hold my A. avic.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well....

It "Teleported", from my house - to yours :D *Tee-Hee*

Sorry it's such a Suga-Honey-Iced-Tea :eek: Not my cup, anymore :p

All my Adults were flighty/fighty, and evetually passed :(

I am giving this jumpy specimen away to a Hobbyist who likes them.

I have heard Reports of them being Bitey :cool: but did Not get bitten in handling mine.

Wish they kept the BRILLIANT colors :(:(:(

Perhaps, this will be the year of the name change to: Iridopelma :rolleyes:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love these things. Just wish they were not so expensive.I need to pick up some slings in hopes of a few more males. Our MM is insane. Introducing him to a female is always interesting,as you need to chase him around for 10 minutes before you can get a deli cup over him..Our female is more calm,but will throw out threats with the best of em...

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avicularia Fasciculata, oh....I mean: A. Diversipes...oh, I mean.....

I love these things. Just wish they were not so expensive.I need to pick up some slings in hopes of a few more males. Our MM is insane. Introducing him to a female is always interesting,as you need to chase him around for 10 minutes before you can get a deli cup over him..Our female is more calm,but will throw out threats with the best of em...
Images of: Beavis are coming to my Mind = "Are you THREATENING me ?" ;P

:D
Why would be A. diversipes transferred to Iridopelma?
Probably wont be....and w/ limited Genetic research under my belt - & just a few Adult *pairs* mated {No sacks/All dead} - I cannot propose an anotomical reason why. Physically, they're too similar to Avics :?{especially leg-segments}
That juvie Abdomin sure looks Iridopelma though :cool: but I do Not have the defining DETAILS - like locales & pairing/offspring data, Exuviums of ALL Avics & Iridopelma AF/MM, etc. that an Entomologist could discern.

Some Collectors have attempted crosses w/ Avic Species....and though that may be frowned upon, and likely be unsuccessful :cool: it perhaps would shed some light on where they belong.....which could even be debated: "In-the-Wild".

Temperment wise - they sure do Not ACT -or- Breed, as reliably as Avicularia, again, Not why I think they may change someday to that Genus...Stricktly a voiced "Hunch", and one I feel free to be entitled to.

Ofcourse my statement is Purely speculative ;) It would Not supprise me to see them change, @least the second portion of name, again, and again :rolleyes: LOL

"But, that's just my opinion, I could be Wrong" - Dennis Miller

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Thanks for the detailed reply, Jason. The thing is, though, even when you are speculating, the things you should look at are the defining characters of the genus/genera are you speculating with/between. In the case of Iridopelma, the genus is based primarily on the presence of a tibial apophysis on leg II in males (in addition to the tibial apophysis on leg I). Avicularia diversipes males, however, lack tibial apophysis. See, it doesn't add up. :)

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the detailed reply, Jason.
You are quite Welcome :D:D:D

:worship: "All hail, ZOLTAN!" :worship:
*Dude, Where's my Car refference* :D

I appreciate greatly, your shared knowledge on T's, has helped me B 4 :) I am however, No EXPERT :p

In the case of Iridopelma, the genus is based primarily on the presence of a tibial apophysis on leg II in males (in addition to the tibial apophysis on leg I). Avicularia diversipes males, however, lack tibial apophysis. See, it doesn't add up. :)
It is my understanding....but Not claimed FACT, that there exists @least one Avic Sp. that have, & an Iridopelma that lack said differences, & vice-versa :cool:
I have been told & seen published, an Article that claimed an Avic {I forget now which, @ moment}....that lacks MM HOOKS & I am aware of one Iridopelma that lacks them for apparent mating ease - so w/ that rationel, it's all relative :eek: to the Level the Hobby has reached, in understanding Tarantula behaviors/anatomy/genetics, this far...

...which has come a Long way - yet w/ much still to be "worked-out", as well as our Homosapian intelligence can {D just "ask" the Aphonopelmas :)

Then again, I do Not look @ the Earth or the known Universe - in such a Generalized, black & white, Scientificly Mathematical way :p Or I woulda went to College to become a Life Science Theologist - then I'd know, EVERY~THING :D

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Been awhile Terry, Theorize you to be Well *Tee-Hee*

:clap:....and it's Jason for the win! {D

I am a LEGEND, in my own Mind :p

I shoulda said: Astro-Physisist :rolleyes: That sounds more Comical I feel :D

Take care All, @least, till the Planet changes Axis - in December of 2012 ;);) - Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I am however, No EXPERT :p
Neither am I.

It is my understanding....but Not claimed FACT, that there exists @least one Avic Sp. that have, & an Iridopelma that lack said differences, & vice-versa :cool:
I have been told & seen published, an Article that claimed an Avic {I forget now which, @ moment}....that lacks MM HOOKS & I am aware of one Iridopelma that lacks them for apparent mating ease - so w/ that rationel, it's all relative :eek:
Which Avicularia species are you referring to? You need to be more specific here. Nothing wrong with an Avicularia male lacking tibial apophysis. For the Iridopelma, I assume you are talking about Iridopelma seladonium, in which males lack tibial apophysis. You have a completely valid point, but... I don't want to let out unpublished information, so let's just say I. seladonium is not gonna be in the genus Iridopelma for too long.

As for lacking tibial apophysis for apparent mating ease? I thought the presence of them makes the mating easier, so how would the lack of them serve the same purpose?

:clap:....and it's Jason for the win! {D
Whatever you mean? :confused:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
:confused: ? It was a lighthearted joke in reference to both of you. Relax.

archieph

Arachnosquire
i have diversipes also...

yes truly they i think the baddest avics.. i got 2 coz i saw how beautiful they are... with they're red striped feet, but never mentioned they're attitude.. both my diversipes i was expecting to be like my other avics so wen i got them i rested them for about 3 days.. both are about 4 inches.. they both got out of theyre enclosures as soon as i opened them.. jumped all over the place, knocked down my slings.. and finally i got it covered.. tried to brush it into a tube so i can contain it.. sure enough threat pose is wat i got.. never really had this behavior wid my other avics... tried to upload a pic of it but for some stupid reason i cant upload most of my photos.. took it from my sony cybershot..

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes truly they i think the baddest avics.. i got 2 coz i saw how beautiful they are... with they're red striped feet, but never mentioned they're attitude.. both my diversipes i was expecting to be like my other avics so wen i got them i rested them for about 3 days.. both are about 4 inches.. they both got out of theyre enclosures as soon as i opened them.. jumped all over the place, knocked down my slings.. and finally i got it covered.. tried to brush it into a tube so i can contain it.. sure enough threat pose is wat i got.. never really had this behavior wid my other avics... tried to upload a pic of it but for some stupid reason i cant upload most of my photos.. took it from my sony cybershot..
There is a size limit for pictures on AB. It works best if you upload them to a photobucket account and insert the image code on the post.

archieph

Arachnosquire
here's my little devil

beautiful and bad

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sqRFBtYTrw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: