A Diggin'

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My two roseas keep confusing me. I decide dto transfer them into Tupperware containers, 10 gallon ones. Full of peat, I keep the humidity at about 55%, temp is in the mid 70's. They both have adequate hides... I don't know what other info is really needed.

Heres the thing, I came home and my sub-adult was digging. She was kicking dirt left and right, and behind her, diggin this shallow, well... tunnel. It went down, then up, and out again. Exactly like her hide.... so why is she messing up the place? :mad: She has a nice hide, and she goes around wrecking the lawn. >_<; I'm confused. What would trigger her to dig? Any insight.

My large female decided to mimic. The next day she too started digging. Also by her hide which is a fake log.

I suppose all this leaves me a bit confused, mainly asking myself "Am I doing something wrong, and they want to get away from the guy who opens the lid once-in-a-while..."

Anyone got insight? Advice?

I posted pictures of my sub-adult's burrow in my picture thinger on facebook, links are in my signature "Micah" is the one you want to click on. Last 5 if I remember correctly.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. rosea are what's known as opertunistic burrowers. More often than not, they will take up residence in a hide that already existed. This does not mean that they wont burrow. I have many tarantulas that are concidered opertunistic and they all dig and throw dirt. The only reason that they would dig (if you are doing something wrong) is if they were trying to get away from heat. Digging is instinct for all T's to avoid execive heat. Other than that, they are probably just playing around and having fun. If theres no heat, I wouldn't worry about it.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My g.rosea loves to dig. She's doing so as we speak lol. I wouldn't be concerned. My rosie actually collapses the opening of her burrow every now and again, and completely burries herself for up to a week at a time!

Be happy you get to see her doing something :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of mine don't dig, they use the hides that are provided, but they do occasionally decide to just dig. No reason, and they don't really dig useable tunnels or hides, they just make a hole, fill that water dish with dirt, and seem perfectly happy. My biggest tunnel maker is my younger female B. albo. She has an entire tunnel system under her substrate with two exits.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It just bugs me though, because I set up the containers so they look so nice.... and they go messing them up. I suppose we have different tastes. Haha.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You really don't need heat pads for G. rosea, thay actually thrive on a couple of months of cooler temps. every year.

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most Grammostola will; burrow or not, use a hide or not, or just walk around. You have one of these. All my T's are given hides most Brachy's and Grammostola don't end up using them, some will decide to burrow, but most do nothing but roam there cage.