A Couple questions.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is like the 5th thread I've made...how do I delete a thread!? haha.

Ok ok, so the real questions. Do A. Avics hiss? Mine's a big fat scaredy, lol. Also, are they safe to handle? Not that I want too I hate doing things that may cause him stress, but for cage transfers or cleaning or w/e.

Dev

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes imo avics are safe to handle, however you need to be a tad carefull cause they can be skittish and pull a fast one on ya.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im pretty sure Avics don't hiss, also Avics are amongst the best to handle if you are a "handler" Just be careful, cause they are flighty and their poop cannon{D

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont think that A Avic can hiss. They are quite handable, but each spider has its own attitude and some are defensive. The best thing to do is push it along the backside and see if it wants to come on your hand... if it starts to turn around and rear up it is best to let her be!

Last edited:

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another question

My A. avic doesnt seem to be drinking....his water dish is on the substrate though, its shallow and wide, and I put fresh water in every day, the humidity is just right and stuff...but he doesn't seem to be drinking...unless its when im sleeping xD...any suggestions?:confused:

GrofKjans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This may be offtopic but I have to ask something. How and when Ts hiss? Can one "stimulate" a T to hiss?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My A. avic doesnt seem to be drinking....his water dish is on the substrate though, its shallow and wide, and I put fresh water in every day, the humidity is just right and stuff...but he doesn't seem to be drinking...unless its when im sleeping xD...any suggestions?:confused:
They get most of their water from food anyway, so no need to be concerned about actually seeing it drink - they do, but just when it's dark and quiet and you are likely not around. Arboreals will come down to ground level to drink when they need to.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh good, i put a smaller water dish up higher just in case also =)

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes you can handle an avic. avic. but they by no means enjoy it. spiders are reclusive animals and it stresses them out. i dont know of a way to make a spider hiss...my question is why would you want to intentionally piss your spider off and cause it to stress out? as far as it drinking...i have never had a water dish in ANY of my Avic. sp. enclosures. they are arboreal spiders. they get their water from dew, rain, etc. that pools up on leaves, branches etc. so just mist everyday thoroughly and they will get all the water they need.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine doesnt drink out of the water dish either....As long as you mist their cage once or twice a day, they get all of the water they need.

It is good to keep the dish in there anyways, though....it helps the ambien humidity in the entire cage