A couple questions about first buy

tapkoote

Arachnopeon
Think I've settled on a mexican red knee or red leg. Juvinile for size. Having trouble locating them, is it the wrong season?
I see one seller with some, who has a lot of bad reviews.
The other one I've come across is
North East Tarantula Breeder's Group.
I wonder if there's a west coast breeders group, the shipping would be closer/easier on the spider. Or would it make a difference?
Thanks Pat

cold blood

Staff member
Check the classifieds, there are 2 sections, one is premium, this is the larger dealers...the other is just below it and that's smaller dealers and breeders or just guys selling randoms...neither species should be exceptionally difficult to locate.

There is no "season", especially for juvies that have been around for years already.

Do not buy from places with bad reviews, mistakes can happen, but several bad reviews is something you really want to stay away from. This is why the corresponding review pages are important for buyers, you shouldn't be nervous about having them shipped..

Shipping is shipping, whether it comes from 50 miles away or 500, its really no less reliable if the seller knows how to pack, and all the good sellers do.

Good choices for a first t.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I agree with cold blood. No matter who you buy from you will want to get it sent with the expedite insured shipping method to insure it has a live delivery guarantee from the seller. I live in the South East US and have received T's from Northern and Western states during periods with 90+ degree temperatures here. They all go through the same shipping systems so the time is approximately the same for an overnight delivery. I have made two orders through the classifieds and both arrived on-time with multiple very healthy T's and great pricing.

EDIT* Also, if you do buy from a show in person be careful if the individual selling to you does not have a web site or isn't listed online somewhere. There are occasional incidents where people are sold a particular species or sex sling/juvenile and it turns out to be something different after the T matures.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Think I've settled on a mexican red knee or red leg. Juvinile for size. Having trouble locating them, is it the wrong season?
I wonder if there's a west coast breeders group, the shipping would be closer/easier on the spider. Or would it make a difference?
Thanks Pat
Pat, what part of PNW you live in? There is a reptile Expo Oct 15-16 AT Puyallup fairgrounds. Also two a year in Portland area.
On FACEBOOK look up Raining Reptiles (Simon Elliot) and Bellingham Arachnids (Jonah Lazich) they are local and may have what you are looking for.

tapkoote

Arachnopeon
Pat, what part of PNW you live in? There is a reptile Expo Oct 15-16 AT Puyallup fairgrounds. Also two a year in Portland area.
On FACEBOOK look up Raining Reptiles (Simon Elliot) and Bellingham Arachnids (Jonah Lazich) they are local and may have what you are looking for.
Thanks Steve
I'm in Seattle, will look into Puyallup. I'm not to good with FB, i'll give it a shot.
Pat

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Check out these dealers, they are all good dealers with a long history of quality service.

Jrsinverts
Jaimiestarantulas
Swift inverts
Petcenterusa
Ken the bug guys

There are many many more. The classifieds will be your best bet though.
DO NOT BUY FROM A REPTILE DEALER!

Basically any large scale dealer that works primarily in reptiles also sells tarantulas, these large dealers have horrible track records of poor care, poor quality, poor advice and poor shipping. Stick with those that specialize in inverts. But definitely check the classifieds first.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Check out these dealers, they are all good dealers with a long history of quality service.

Jrsinverts
Jaimiestarantulas
Swift inverts
Petcenterusa
Ken the bug guys

There are many many more. The classifieds will be your best bet though.
DO NOT BUY FROM A REPTILE DEALER!

Basically any large scale dealer that works primarily in reptiles also sells tarantulas, these large dealers have horrible track records of poor care, poor quality, poor advice and poor shipping. Stick with those that specialize in inverts. But definitely check the classifieds first.
Petcenterusa has a history of being involved w/the Federal Government regarding illegal activities. Search the internet and THIS forum.

tapkoote

Arachnopeon
The search is over! Unexpectedly.
Anastasia is here.
Thanks to the folks who responded, I'll post a home coming vid, if I can figure out how this forum works.
Pat

Attachments

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Petcenterusa has a history of being involved w/the Federal Government regarding illegal activities. Search the internet and THIS forum.
yeah im aware of the implications of pauls involvement in the past and i dont doubt it, all the evidence is there, but no one can deny he provides good prices, healthy animals and some of the best packaging ive received. i dont doubt he was involved with some import scandals in the past but noting him being caught i doubt that thats the case now. although ive never purchased a w/c specimen requiring them he claims to have the cites paperwork for all of them.
whether any of that is true or if hes still involved in any of that is anyones guess, its the buyers responsibility to do a thorough check.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yeah im aware of the implications of pauls involvement in the past and i dont doubt it, all the evidence is there, but no one can deny he provides good prices, healthy animals and some of the best packaging ive received. i dont doubt he was involved with some import scandals in the past but noting him being caught i doubt that thats the case now. although ive never purchased a w/c specimen requiring them he claims to have the cites paperwork for all of them.
whether any of that is true or if hes still involved in any of that is anyones guess, its the buyers responsibility to do a thorough check.
He often has the cheapest prices out of all the others, certainly makes me go "hmmm o_O" ....... Even when some of the others import as well.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Thanks Pat

Net-bug.net

Jaimestarantulas.com

Swiftsinverts.com

Kenthebugguy.com

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The search is over! Unexpectedly.
Anastasia is here.
Thanks to the folks who responded, I'll post a home coming vid, if I can figure out how this forum works.
Pat
Congrats.
I forgot that "North East Tarantula Breeder's Group" is the same as "net-bug". Anastasia sells some nice quality T's.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Congrats.
I forgot that "North East Tarantula Breeder's Group" is the same as "net-bug". Anastasia sells some nice quality T's.

Yes she sells some great Ts coming from her this week I have on the way two 1/4" Euathlus sp. Red and a T stirmi juvenile pair.

In the past I got my Pamphobeteus Platyommas, G inheringi from her and other species.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
He often has the cheapest prices out of all the others, certainly makes me go "hmmm o_O" ....... Even when some of the others import as well.
Yeah but with federal offenses like that you are watched almost indefinitely. I just don't see anyone being that foolish. I assume he maintains the cheap prices just to stay ahead of competition. Like he's a large enough dealer that he can take a loss on a few specimens since he makes up for it in others, and since he buys whole sacs from people at wholesale prices he gets a lot of fresh material for Penny's compared to retail. Seems he just deals in volume and makes his profit overall, not just on each individual species. Like how Walmart operates. We will see, if he's still conducting illegal activities it won't take long to be caught since he's on their radar.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah but with federal offenses like that you are watched almost indefinitely. I just don't see anyone being that foolish. I assume he maintains the cheap prices just to stay ahead of competition. Like he's a large enough dealer that he can take a loss on a few specimens since he makes up for it in others, and since he buys whole sacs from people at wholesale prices he gets a lot of fresh material for Penny's compared to retail. Seems he just deals in volume and makes his profit overall, not just on each individual species. Like how Walmart operates. We will see, if he's still conducting illegal activities it won't take long to be caught since he's on their radar.
Honestly, he may very will be on the right side of the tracks now. He may never do anything illegal concerning these animals again, and he might be an amazing dealer. He will still never get my business after reading this thread. He knew what he was doing was illegal, and in my experience, people don't change. You know what people do? Learn from their mistakes and adapt in an attempt to not get caught again. I just wouldn't trust it.

I've never not been able to find a species through a legitimate dealer - prices are often sky high on very rare specimens, but that's the price you pay for legitimacy.