a couple of questions...

syph

Arachnopeon
Hi wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me:

1) when rehousing/moving an aggresive or fast spider what is the process involved? how do you catch it?

2) when dealing with a fast T what precautions should be be made before opening its tank?

thanks

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The best way I know to move a fast and defensive T is to have a cup in one hand and a pair of forceps or something along those lines to herd the T in the cup in the other hand. It's easy to do a lot of goal tending, so to speak, with things like that to controll a T. You can also use a small container and it's lid to do the corraling.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just use a fork... It works good, if you don't mind buying a new T. JK! don't use a fork. i would say, just do what cheetah says, and maybe get some gardening gloves for more precautions, if you want. Personally, i just buy the timid species, so i can hold 'em. :) those baboons, and cobalts, and everything are so gorgeous, tho...

syph

Arachnopeon
cheers for that. one more question... when a T is described as fast, just how fast does that mean? Ive seen 'docile' species move faster than the eye can see when catching food. how does a fast t's running speed compare to that?
thanks

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People like to compair it to telaporting. No joke. I have been messing with some video and pokie species and Obt's are moving faster then 30 frames per second. Thats so darn fast.......... Its hard to decribe and realize till you see it yourself. Its fast...... anything you think you have seen that was fast is not fast enough to decribe how fast some species of T can move. Its one of the great wonders I am tellin ya man. Crazy stuff.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Any container or cup with a lid is fine for corraling spiders. Neutralize any and all potential escape routes.

When releasing them into new housing, the temporary means of containment goes into the terrarium onto the substrate near the provided hideaway and remove the lid.

If I feel the spider isn't particularly high strung and more subdued, I will coerce the spider on the substrate with my forceps. But always ready in a second's response to remove limb and shut the lid.

And be careful not to breath on said spider I have seen even docile species move quite fast (usually up someone's arm and giving them a kiss on the ear ;) ).

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People like to compair it to telaporting. No joke. I have been messing with some video and pokie species and Obt's are moving faster then 30 frames per second. Thats so darn fast.......... Its hard to decribe and realize till you see it yourself. Its fast...... anything you think you have seen that was fast is not fast enough to decribe how fast some species of T can move. Its one of the great wonders I am tellin ya man. Crazy stuff.
That is mind boggling, 30FPS...:eek:

As for the OP, you can try the cup method as Cheetah said, get a cup along with a stick, paintbrush, anything that can't harm the T to guide it into the cup, once it is in, put a lid or a card to cover the top of the cup, then simply move lidded cup to new house and take off the lid. Best of luck!:D