A couple jumpers I found

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Hello!

Just wanted to share pics of 2 jumpers I found this week. One species I'm familiarized with (P. undatus), the other I am not so if anyone knows what it is I would greatly appreciate help on identifying it. I am particularly curious on the unknown species, as I think it is an ant mimic and am wondering if it has a specialized diet.

1)
I spotted small jumper-like movements on the screen door yesterday. I walked over to investigate and found this little one hiding in the corner because it also spotted me. I coaxed it into a container then noticed it was walking funny. It bounces its abdomen and waves its two front legs; which are thicker and have more texture compared to the other legs. It led me to the assumption that this is an ant mimic salticid, but I haven't seen images of any that look similar to this one. I have a hard time getting a clearer picture of it at the moment because it doesn't sit still for long. I recorded a quick clip of its walking behavior. It has some difficult to see, small, pale markings on its abdomen. I think It also has a missing/damaged pedipalp. :o_O:
P9210278.JPG
P9210279.JPG
P9210273.JPG
[YOUTUBE]?v=Vt0-b5J3R20&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt0-b5J3R20&feature=youtu.be

2)
I see P. undatus almost everyday outside the house, but this one was kinda special to me because I found her out wandering at night. I NEVER see jumpers at night, and I was outside trying to catch a massive grass spider that's been living in the back yard. Anyway, after a failed attempt at collecting the grass spider, I was going back indoors when I spotted this girl moving about on the door. She seemed confused, and I noticed she had a missing hind leg, so I stood there and watched her for a few minutes, wondering if she was either hungry or lost. She came to a crevice that had a resting sac in it. This resting sac had a sac spider already in it about twice her size. Before I knew what to do, she attempted to enter the resting sac, which startled the sac spider and they both fled from the sac... and then both froze into a stare down. I was concerned for the safety of the jumper, so I slowly placed my hand between them, which made the sac spider drop and the jumper began to flee the other way. I wasn't actively looking for another P. undatus as I already have one; as well as the slings of hers I'm raising, but my motherly instinct kicked in when I saw this juvenile one almost get eaten, so I took her in and she's a sweetheart. I just wanted to share the story and a couple pics of her eating a fruitfly. :)

editP9220318.jpg
editP9220325.jpg

flamingpie

Arachnopeon
Not sure about the first jumper, but I have to say that your new little female platy as absolutely gorgeous, and the story about her was just so sweet.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Not sure about the first jumper, but I have to say that your new little female platy as absolutely gorgeous, and the story about her was just so sweet.
Thanks, I thought it was worth sharing cause I never see jumpers in the dark (and don't expect to) and I go out at night to look at spiders often haha. It was also a shock to me that she put herself in danger like that. I don't think it was her resting sac because it seemed too large for her size. The area was lit by the porch light, and I could see that the sac was occupied so I guess it makes me wonder if she was disoriented for some reason.

She IS a clumsy jumper with the missing leg, and it's cute to watch though I feel bad for her. I'm glad she has more molting to do, and can safely do it now.
I agree, she is a lovely one. :)

Last edited:

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
I got some better photos of the first spider today. It is dark red/brown in the abdomen and legs, with some of the color near its face. The rest is dark, blackish. There are 5 tiny white spots on the abdomen. Its legs are red and translucent, with the front legs having little black bands that thicken them overall.

editP9230256.jpg
editP9230257.jpg
edotP9230247.jpg
editP9230242.jpg

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Sorry to overshadow the spiders, but those branches are amazing. People should collect branches with awesome lichens on them and sell 'em.

I could see that being awesome in an arboreal's enclosure.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Sorry to overshadow the spiders, but those branches are amazing. People should collect branches with awesome lichens on them and sell 'em.

I could see that being awesome in an arboreal's enclosure.

Haha no problem, I also find them beautiful so I pick out the neatest ones for my terrariums. The jumpers enjoy hiding in them. The trees in my area are covered with them. Hey, if there's a shared interest in lichen covered branches on here, I'd collect some of the nicest ones I see and post some photos to see if anyone is interested.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
I thought it was time for an update. I have found a second jumper of the same species. I have been researching every source I can find on ant mimics and jumpers and haven't yet found a promising lead. I am pretty sure I have one male and one female, which has intensified my drive to figure these two out. I'd like to mate them if I do indeed have two genders.

One of them has not jumped once. The other does a little "hop" which is put to shame by every other jumper I've witnessed. This species is EXTREMELY skittish. I am well aware that P. undatus is seen as a skittish species, but these jumpers are much more so than any undatus Ive encountered. They are difficult to photograph because a slight tilt of the camera will send them into hiding. They are really adorable with their bobbing abdomens.

The first one I found climbing on a screen door one early afternoon. The second one my boyfriend found on a sidewalk as the sun was about to set.

Attachments

Last edited:

spiderman5471

Arachnopeon
cool jumpers mine is P.Audax the one with three dots on the abdomen shes special to me shes big and fat now and not eating for days now she runs from prey now so im going to remove the cricket and fly from the kk ok tell me what i should do for her ok thx kasey

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Ant mimic. It isn't -the- ant mimic salticid, Myrmarachne plataleoides, but it is displaying Batesian mimicry. The true ant mimics have developed bodies that actually are shaped like ants, most commonly the weaver ant. However, Batesian mimicry of some form and degree is found in many animals and has been seen in a number of salticid genera. How's that?

Now for the trivia. The ant mimic doesn't attempt to fool ants. Ants go by their sense of smell, not eyesight. The ant mimic typically uses it's 'camouflage' to fool other spiders, especially other salticids, into thinking it is an ant. Salticids can be darned devious. Check out the Portia for just how sneaky they can be.

I first encountered a mymarachne here in Thailand. We are up to our eyeballs in weaver ants and it was obviously one of those. So I moved to brush it away and it did a rappel thing on it's safety line! Studying it more closely, it not only looked identical to the ant, it emulated the mannerisms exactly. A very remarkable evolution had taken place. It also taught a lesson in how ridiculous arachnophobia is. I let it wander over my arm. If it had been a self respecting weaver ant it would have bit me but being a spider it is much more discerning, aware of it's surroundings and what is and isn't munchable.

Last edited: