A couple IDs

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all, We just got in three trapdoors and a wolf spider from a friend of ours in BC. The trapdoors have been ID as Cyphonesia sp., however, if anyone has any more info we would appreciate it.

And the wolf. It was caught in BC, near Okanagan I believe.

We can get different angle shots if they will help.
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mackenzie

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Hi Mackenzie,

Can you get a shot of the spinnerets, ocular tubercle and the tarsi/metatarsi of legs I and/or II of the first one? Also, do you have a locality on it?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The wolf spider is an Alopecosa sp. Two likely suspects are A. aculeata or A. kochii, which are both found in that part of BC. I think yours looks more like A. kochii. You will be able to tell which it is by examining the epigyne, if you need to know with certainty (and if the spider is mature).

For the Alopecosa genus the AME row is slightly procuved, and the PME are a little larger than the PLE. You can see these features in your pictures. These are medium-sized lycosids, in the BL = 10-12 mm range for adult females.

By coincidence I keyed out an adult female A. aculeata just last night (the colors are fresh because it molted in captivity a few days before the picture was taken):

More info and photos are available here for each species:

Alopecosa aculeata

Alopecosa kochii

Last edited: