A couple "are these bad for Ts?" questions

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm talking to someone on another forum about tarantulas and we both have just gotten our first Ts, his he got for his son (G. rosea) and he's totally totally new but I've been reading and learning about Ts for a while and he's been asking me questions. He had a couple I wasn't sure of.

1. He has the flu, can germs from having the flu be harmful to the T?
2. his significant other smokes, is cig smoke bad for Ts?

I'm not sure on either, but I think no on the first and definitely yes on the 2nd.

Input? Thanks.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh, also the pet store guy told him this rose is no more than 6 months old and female.

I told him no way that's 6 months old, closer to 6 years probably and that G. rosea grows very very slow.

Any guess on age?

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
2. his significant other smokes, is cig smoke bad for Ts?

yes nicotine is a natural pesticide make him wash his hands!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That Rosea could be 15 years old, 7,19,6...
Impossible to know...

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
definitely not even close to 6 months though right? It would be tiny wouldn't it? Still just a sling?

MadTitan

Arachnopeon
pet stores always say 6 months - it must be in the manual. Or maybe it's because "everyone knows spiders only live for 1 year."

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
boy at 6 months thats the biggest sling I have ever seen! I wish my Lasiodora parahybana was that big at 6 months! Can you imagine how big they would get in a year...

pok2010

Arachnopeon
boy at 6 months thats the biggest sling I have ever seen! I wish my Lasiodora parahybana was that big at 6 months! Can you imagine how big they would get in a year...
yes i could, but personally i dont really fancy being spider food my self so thankgod for that ;P XD

jt39565

Arachnoknight
@ madtitan, "pet stores always say 6 months - it must be in the manual. Or maybe it's because "everyone knows spiders only live for 1 year."

I was actually told that once, I laughed and walked out. It was at Petco!

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Why is it soo hard for someone at a petstore to simply say, I have no idea WTH I am talking about when it comes to spiders... Kinda ticks me off! You got all these people out there wanting to get tarantulas as first pets and they are giving them ALL THE WRONG ADVICE!!! Woodchips are good, put a sponge in the dish, use a high power heat lamp, our spiders are defanged or the venom sacks have been removed, this is a female for sure, bla bla bla. Dang people, don't you know how dumb you sound??? If you're selling something in a store, it should be YOUR job to do proper research on what it is exactly that you are selling. Makes me literally want to :wall:

Last edited by a moderator: