A coool find in my front yard

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was trying to get my neighbors cat out from under my truck a few days ago. I was on the ground next to my driveway. For some reason, I started pushing the leaves around with my hand on the ground. I heard a hollow, paper like sound. I found the door to aTrap! That was cool! Here she is. She's pretty big. I still don't know what sp she is but an AB member says it looks like an Eucteniza sp. From doing some looking around, I think the common name is Wafer Trapdoor Spider. In the first pic, the door is to the left of the nickle before I pulled her out. It's funny, they hold the door shut when you try to open it. They are very strong and pull down more and more the more you try to open the door.

Farom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:eek: Aren't those things, like, deadly or something?

Awesome spider regardless.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful! I wish we had these where I live(Central CA). B. californicum does occur farther south.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sweet find! I don't think I'd be comfortable handling one of those.

*is jealous*

That's cool that they hold the door shut. Kinda like me when we get Jehova's Witnesses. :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
HA! Yeah, they will destroy the door by trying to hold it shut before they let it open.

Farom-I have a feeling you are thinking about Funnel webs, Australia(?). But yes, deadly ..to grasshoppers, crix, weaker spiders and who knows what else. Yeah ILMants, they are very defensive. But I think I'm kinda crazy.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey dtknow, going south, where does the Trap in Cal start popping up? I remember seeing an old TV show about the Cal Trapdoor. I think I saw that show back in the 80's, maybe even the late 70's.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when i saw the first pic i thought ''what a nice nickel you found!!""{D

great spider find!!:clap:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In a way, it is a cool nickel I found. When I looked at the picture I noticed it was made the year I was born so I kept it.:rolleyes: But to everybody else, it's just a nickel, and as the dollar keeps going down, it's really ONLY a nickel.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's cool that they hold the door shut. Kinda like me when we get Jehova's Witnesses. :D
ROFL!

Galapoheros: No Idea...I know they occur around San Diego...and Mike from ATSHQ found a trapdoor species in the bay area.

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You lucky bastard. I hate you now... :mad:

Aren't u afraid she might bite u?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just post the lucky stuff. There's allot of boring unlucky stuff I don't mention:eek: . She's pretty bitey. I think I'll end up putting her back in her home. I have a feeling she's kind of old.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In a way, it is a cool nickel I found. When I looked at the picture I noticed it was made the year I was born so I kept it.:rolleyes: But to everybody else, it's just a nickel, and as the dollar keeps going down, it's really ONLY a nickel.
{D
funny!

you do find some great stuff!
cant deny that.:clap:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just post the lucky stuff. There's allot of boring unlucky stuff I don't mention:eek: . She's pretty bitey. I think I'll end up putting her back in her home. I have a feeling she's kind of old.
You sure do find alot of good/lucky stuff then! :clap:

How did you spot the burrow? I almost thought it was a nickel by itself too, until I scrolled down and saw the other pics.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm surprised you were able to handle that thang. I have one trapdoor (Gorgyrella sp. red) and it is the meanest, most defensive critter in my arsenal. I think pulling her out and putting her in my hand would result in many, many bites.