A Confused Brachypelma boehmei?

M13

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As some of you know, I bought a B. boehmei last week, but I am growing a little concerned (probably worried about nothing)

I have read various info pages about the Fireleg but they all say hes a burrowing spider, however mine spends all its time upside down on the lid of the tank.

Is this normal for the species? Gut instinct tells me theres nothing to worry about, however as I am just getting into T's, I am hoping it's nothing I'm doing wrong.

The sling hardly moved at all! However he looks healthy enough.

Any ideas?

Kain

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It could be two reasons, either your spider is still not used to its surroundings and is stressed, or the substrate is something unfavorable (Too wet or generally disliked) What are you using as substrate? It may take a while for it to burrow, or it may do so tomorrow, so don't worry too much about when it does.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As mentioned she just might need some time to settle down......... and if the substrate is wet let it dry and dont re wet it. I have three female boehmei and none of them burrow...... once they got to about 4" they just stopped doing that for some reason, But I am not going to complain! They are out in the open for me to see all the time!

M13

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He's on peat atm, it seems like he doesn't like walking on it lol. I bought a little heat mat today as I thought perhaps he was cold. I have that on the one side of the tank now so that should help dry the peat out a little too.

He also likes flicking hairs at the crickets lol.

So yeah, I am kinda worried - man these spiders are going turn me grey by the time Im 25 lol!

Kain

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How big is she? Is she well fed? If so that may mean she does not want to eat again till after she molts and having the crickets in there is just stressing her out....... when you offer food always remove anything that is alive still a few hours later......... I dont even wait that long if I put something in a tank and she does not try to kill it the first time it walks by I remove it.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i bought a B. boehmei s'ling i would say about 6 months ago? i have no idea, but when i bought it, it was about 1/3" and now it is about 1" 1/2.
it has never burrowed at all since i've had it, its never even gone under its hide. it just sits in its cage and waits to eat. it seems perfectly fine, i wouldn't worry about it!

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine has grown from 1/4" to 1 1/2" in my care and has also never burrowed. He/she does hang out under the hide, but spends equal time out in the open and on top of the hide. Don't worry about it not burrowing. Follow others' advice on substrate and wait for him/her to settle in.

Nice choice, btw, and welcome to the hobby!

M13

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I fed him I presume he ate as there no sign of crickets (only put in in there anyway)

Not sure how you measure T's but he's about 4 1/2 CM long (back lets to pedipalps)

Oh and I didn't mean he was flicking hairs at crickets in there atm, I meant he flicked hairs at them before he killed and ate them - I wondered if that was normal thats all.

Kain

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine does not burrow, and he is a 3 1/2 inch male. He does use his hide though.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not sure how you measure T's but he's about 4 1/2 CM long (back lets to pedipalps)
The most common standard is from the tip of the first leg on one side to the tip of the back leg on the opposite side (diagonally).

Oh and I didn't mean he was flicking hairs at crickets in there atm, I meant he flicked hairs at them before he killed and ate them - I wondered if that was normal thats all.
B. boehmei are notorious for flicking lots of hair. They're among the more jumpy Brachys... no need to worry. It sounds so cute that he flicks at crickets before killing them! :)