A closer look at: Tapinauchineus violaceus

awiec

Arachnoprince
And run they do, like the wind.
I've experienced this many a time, they sometimes will just run laps around at random and love to "dive" down to the ground; I'm always playing "where is the Tappie?" before I open the cage.

Operkoi

Arachnopeon
don't suppose you have any experience with the unnamed Union island Tappie? I can't even find any photos online except for Tarantula Canadas pricelist specimen

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
don't suppose you have any experience with the unnamed Union island Tappie? I can't even find any photos online except for Tarantula Canadas pricelist specimen
Personally? No, sorry having to disappoint on that front. Perhaps someone else will chime in and help you out.

Nex

Arachnopeon
Great article!! I think it's funny how they act (running circles in the tank if spooked). Somehow I find it very comical and cute. My sling (5th molt) is still very small compared to my p.irminia that I got at the same time/size.

Can't wait to sex it, and see the colours come out. :astonished:

Smarteist

Arachnopeon
Great info. I wish I had read this before opening mine in a shipment. He lurched from his vile, clung to my shirt, and then teleported out of sight. My ten year old caught him in the bathroom shower stall two weeks later. He has been happy in his enclosure, ever since :)

Moebius

Arachnopeon
Great info. I wish I had read this before opening mine in a shipment. He lurched from his vile, clung to my shirt, and then teleported out of sight. My ten year old caught him in the bathroom shower stall two weeks later. He has been happy in his enclosure, ever since :)
I really am thinking of just calling them "The Great Purple Beam Me Up Scotty" for a common name instead of "Violet Tree Spider" because of situations like these. Not a fan of using common names mind you, but if I have to... I'd rather it be entertaining lol.

Smarteist

Arachnopeon
I think that’s a good suggestion lol. If we are going to use common names at all - they should at least warn people about the spider. I want to call my M. robustum “Orange Cartwheel Spider” or something.

My make T. vio looks like if a pipe cleaner and an eggplant had a baby .

ETA: I’m responding to a coloration comment on a previous page. I’m still figuring replies out lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My make T. vio looks like if a pipe cleaner and an eggplant had a baby .

ETA: I’m responding to a coloration comment on a previous page. I’m still figuring replies out lol.
The thread is also 3 years old... OP isn't around very much anymore sadly...

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I know this probably won't be replied to/updated by the OP but the enclosure dimensions given seem smallish.
I'm considering a nano tall (8x8x12) for a juvenile.
Any thoughts about that size for a non-avic arboreal setup?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I could see that size being used for an adult. They tend to stay on the small side (4.5-5 in max for females, smaller for males). For a juvenile, something a little smaller would probably work better temporarily until they put on some size. They are very active and voracious eaters! You won't be disappointed :)

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I have a T violaceous sling, along with what was labelled as T elenae. I hardly ever see the violaceous while the elenae is always out. I'm not sure if I have gigas or elenae, they seem to look almost identical to each other.

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
I have a T violaceous sling, along with what was labelled as T elenae. I hardly ever see the violaceous while the elenae is always out. I'm not sure if I have gigas or elenae, they seem to look almost identical to each other.
Here is my P. gigas sling, it's about 3/4"
IMG_20200411_144713.jpg

Does that help you ID your sling?

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Here is my P. gigas sling, it's about 3/4"
View attachment 341931

Does that help you ID your sling?
That's identical to mine. Images of adults of the two species appear identical. It makes no real difference which one it is, I have no intention on breeding. It came as part of a mystery box but as its grown it does look more like gigas.
Either way, its growing well and always out!