A closer look at: Psalmopoeus irminia (Venezuelan Suntiger)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yesssss, welcome back!!! :happy::happy::happy:

How are you? :)
Still kicking. Made another thread for the "I'm back around" btw :). Suprised to see this thread still finding so many peoples liking! My couple irminia girls are still doing well. Phaedra is still calm as can be and Firali...well let's not get into that. Suffice to say it took me nearly 30 min to convince her to switch enclosures. So clingy that one... :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good thing I returned then, correct? :D

Thank you everyone for the comments. Much appreciated.

And yes, I'd be up to do another one of these posts.
I was just wondering how your collection and you were doing?? Thought you'd left! Glad you haven't!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My biggest One not sure size5-6” somewhere is a pet tube web. How do you get them too be so visible??
Haven’t pestered her or rehouse in a while haven’t seen much of the ferocity.

One of my favorite new world aboreal. Prob avics also next in order.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They're both very reclusive. It took a long time to take those pictures - aside the one in the catchcup of course.

Major 78

Arachnosquire
I know it's a old thread but I have a question. It's about there venom. Say I was bitten, what is this "chili effect"? And can I get more details on the symptoms? This T is not medically significant, is it?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know it's a old thread but I have a question. It's about there venom. Say I was bitten, what is this "chili effect"? And can I get more details on the symptoms? This T is not medically significant, is it?
What effect?

Symptoms vary from person, check the bite forum if you haven't done so.

Generally speaking it's not medically significant, there's always an exception in nature so can't rule anything out 100%, but its toxin is stronger than all known NW Ts in the hobby generally speaking. It's a genus considered to be a good launching point to OWs due to its speed and stronger venom.

boina

Lady of the mites
Psalmotoxin, a component of Psalmopoeus venom binds to the TRPV1 receptor on nerve cells. This is the same receptor capsaicin, the stuff that makes peppers hot, also binds to. For that reason psalmotoxin has the same effect as capsaicin and getting bitten by a Psalmopoeus will feel like being injected with hot pepper juice.

Major 78

Arachnosquire
Psalmotoxin, a component of Psalmopoeus venom binds to the TRPV1 receptor on nerve cells. This is the same receptor capsaicin, the stuff that makes peppers hot, also binds to. For that reason psalmotoxin has the same effect as capsaicin and getting bitten by a Psalmopoeus will feel like being injected with hot pepper juice.
Thank you! I ate a full habenero pepper once (stem and all) on a dare, wasn't pleasant.Would not want to be injected by that stuff!

Squatch8Rambi

Arachnopeon
They're both very reclusive. It took a long time to take those pictures - aside the one in the catchcup of course.
Hello there,
I’m kind of new to Ts but my girlfriend has always had them.
I just have a question about these beauties. It’s pretty tough to come by this species where I’m from. We managed to get a male, full grown. The store we got him from wasn’t very knowledgeable about Ts and he was hiding when we purchased it. They weren’t sure if it was a male or female, and it being the first irminia we could come across that wasn’t a sling we took the gamble and bought it. He came out once we were home and it wasn’t hard to tell he wasn’t the female we were looking for... So back to my question. We have been able to come across irminia slings. How fast do they grow? And at once size will we be able to sex them? I feel like it will be the only option we will have. Even juveniles are hard to come by... thanks in advance for any help and your tigers are gorgeous!

cold blood

Staff member
Hello there,
I’m kind of new to Ts but my girlfriend has always had them.
I just have a question about these beauties. It’s pretty tough to come by this species where I’m from. We managed to get a male, full grown. The store we got him from wasn’t very knowledgeable about Ts and he was hiding when we purchased it. They weren’t sure if it was a male or female, and it being the first irminia we could come across that wasn’t a sling we took the gamble and bought it. He came out once we were home and it wasn’t hard to tell he wasn’t the female we were looking for... So back to my question. We have been able to come across irminia slings. How fast do they grow? And at once size will we be able to sex them? I feel like it will be the only option we will have. Even juveniles are hard to come by... thanks in advance for any help and your tigers are gorgeous!
You are in the US, plenty of options for irminia.

Every now and again there's a good influx of them. Be patient.

Slings are great eaters and grow quickly. Males can mature inside a year...females in as little as 2.

Because slings are inexpensive and grow really fast, buying a few is your best (smartest) buying option.

Males and females look the same until males mature, then they look quite different.

Squatch8Rambi

Arachnopeon
You are in the US, plenty of options for irminia.

Every now and again there's a good influx of them. Be patient.

Slings are great eaters and grow quickly. Males can mature inside a year...females in as little as 2.

Because slings are inexpensive and grow really fast, buying a few is your best (smartest) buying option.

Males and females look the same until males mature, then they look quite different.
Hey thanks for the input! Patience is the key I suppose. Definitely a beautiful tarantula and worth the wait!