A Chinese Scolopendra surprise today!

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A Chinese Scolopendra UPDATE

This gal was purchased as a Chinese Giant Orange.
I noticed, starting about a month ago, that she was constructing a nice bowl-shaped depression in her substrate. Also, she stopped eating. She never left this depression, so I suspected she may be getting ready to lay some eggs.
john

Attachments

Last edited:

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi John,
Was she the one I was going to get:D I know I couldn't get that lucky, right?! Now I am jealous. You really get the luck with the gravid pedes.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
This gal was purchased as a Chinese Giant Orange.
I noticed, starting about a month ago, that she was constructing a nice bowl-shaped depression in her substrate. Also, she stopped eating. She never left this depression, so I suspected she may be getting ready to lay some eggs.
john

:? ain't she a bit exposed???????
BTW ...great chance to tickle her...;P

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
John,

You suck.

Thank you. :D

...tom

p.s. - *cough*howmuchyouwantforfivebabieswhentheyhatch*cough*

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tom,
Hee, hee, hee.
It's all luck of the draw. Just remember to pick the fattest ones, not necessarily the longest, but
the fattest. Spring is when I got the S. h. castaniceps female. And winter when I obtained the S. s. dehanni.
Let's see if she eats them or not. I'm guessing not. But it could happen. Then we'll see if the babies live.
I don't wanna jinx 'em, but yes I'll be selling them here.
john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Update:

Here's a pic of the eggs that have eclosed. In this pic they're like little cresent rolls.
Also, it seems that she ate some up as time went on. Was she choosey? She ate many, but not all.
john

Attachments

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And since she was snacking on them, and let them down off her body and in the peat, I decided to take 'em from her (March 15th). Today, they began molting. In the pic, two are free and one is mid-way.
john

Attachments

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would suggest to seperate them....they might be hungry when they hatch.

Nice looking pedes by the way!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
How cute are those babies. I've never seen such young ones. Thanks for sharing the pic. Why do centipedes eat the eggs, I had a Scolapendra gigantia eat a whole clutch.:mad:

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They start off so small and cute and quickly turn into vicious blood thirsty monsters. It's neat.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by vardoulas
I would suggest to seperate them....they might be hungry when they hatch.
Nice looking pedes by the way!
Actually, IME the babies get along just nicely. I had a clutch of S. heros cast. that lived together for a week or two after they started feeding. They would gang feed on crushed crickets. Not one was cannibilized. Yeah, this is a different species, but I'm not worried, as it should be no different.
john

Attachments

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's the first time I see a pic like that.. what are they doing on the mother? :)

Thanks, Frank

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by FranKQC
That's the first time I see a pic like that.. what are they doing on the mother? :)
Thanks, Frank
Frank, the whole ordeal lasted around three months. During that 3 months, the mother never let the eggs/babies, touch the substrate. Once they molted, and became mobile and feeding, most came off the mother, but some did not. I guess they weren't ready to leave momma.
john

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh okay, and what is doing the momma in that picture? How do she get back on her legs if she don't let her babies touch the substrate? :)

Thanks, Frank

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by FranKQC
Oh okay, and what is doing the momma in that picture? How do she get back on her legs if she don't let her babies touch the substrate? :)
Thanks, Frank
Well, she really didn't get back on her legs until all the babies dispersed. Yes, she laid on her back for the entire 3 months. What a good momma.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah you're right.. that's a very good momma ;)

So she's not eating at all for 3months? Or is she able to eat while being on her back (ie: she waits for the prey to come to her gently :))

Thanks, Frank

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pedes are so beautiful. It is so neet so see these pictures of the life cycle! I now really want to get a breading pair of pedes. The babies are sooo cute! Congrats on the new ones and hope all goes well. If you want, since I dont have a ton of money since Bill at invertepet just broke me, you can give me one! haha just kidding. But those are some beautiful pedes you have!