A. Chalcodes Questions

Arilyna

Arachnopeon
So I *might* be picking up a female a. Chalcodes on Saturday. The girl rehousing her said she hasn’t eaten in months and wants to do better for the t. 🤷🏻‍♀️ A spider and enclosure for 50$ doesn’t seem too bad and I can use the enclosure for something else. 22ED68AD-F971-4CDC-9253-787194938DF6.jpeg AAA07E80-724D-4C13-BDED-D33C96CB4926.jpeg C017ABC2-85A9-4244-81EB-BBA569D5DE13.jpeg
What would you use as an enclosure for her? I’ve read about five gallon/ten gallon tanks, I’m just curious what others house this species in.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
A 5 gallon is perfectly fine, but you would need to fill about 2/3+ of the tank full of substrate to reduce fall height as it is a potential hazard for them. Also you would need a lid for the 5 gallon that isn't mesh as mesh lids will cause a possible hazard of the tarantula getting stuck if it decides to climb on a mesh lid.

Arilyna

Arachnopeon
A 5 gallon is perfectly fine, but you would need to fill about 2/3+ of the tank full of substrate to reduce fall height as it is a potential hazard for them. Also you would need a lid for the 5 gallon that isn't mesh as mesh lids will cause a possible hazard of the tarantula getting stuck if it decides to climb on a mesh lid.
I’ve edited my original post cause I rethought my question as soon as I posted it. I have a t. Albo in a ten gallon that’s full of substrate. I don’t mind the look of it, but I’d rather use something that doesn’t have to be filled so much.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
A five gallon tank is far too large, but you'll have to move her out of that enclosure since it is very inappropriate.
This thread is worth a look at...

Arilyna

Arachnopeon
A five gallon tank is far too large, but you'll have to move her out of that enclosure since it is very inappropriate.
This thread is worth a look at...
I tried to tell the girl that there wasn’t enough substrate in there and she said something about taking out substrate to keep the t from climbing up..? I didn’t understand the logic, but I’m aware it’s not an appropriate enclosure, just looking to see what others are keeping them in.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
So I *might* be picking up a female a. Chalcodes on Saturday. The girl rehousing her said she hasn’t eaten in months and wants to do better for the t. 🤷🏻‍♀️ A spider and enclosure for 50$ doesn’t seem too bad and I can use the enclosure for something else. View attachment 363480 View attachment 363481 View attachment 363482
What would you use as an enclosure for her? I’ve read about five gallon/ten gallon tanks, I’m just curious what others house this species in.
My lady chalcodes is very happy in this enclosure. Something's simple like this would be appropriate.

Attachments

Arilyna

Arachnopeon
My lady chalcodes is very happy in this enclosure. Something's simple like this would be appropriate.
Where do you find containers like that? I’d really like to not do a Rubbermaid, but I can only find the small more vertical acrylic containers

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Where do you find containers like that? I’d really like to not do a Rubbermaid, but I can only find the small more vertical acrylic containers
These are from a company called "mdesign" they are sold on amazon, or you can buy directly from their website. I know they come in 4 packs for 60 dollars.
You might be able to buy them individually.

They are clear acrylic. I hear ya on the rubbermaid. While they are completely functional, they aren't the best for viewing, which , personally, bothers me a little.

Acrylic is expensive.

Jamie's tarantulas has nice enclosures, but expensive.
Dream co plastics does also, but also expenses.

I haven't bought enclosures from either, but I'm sure they're nice

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
the present enclosure lacks floor space so get something bigger. Use that enclosure for an arboreal. I buy terrariums and just swap out the lids to acrylic (most are 14 x SafeTLid 2.jpg 8 with varied heights). A Chalcodes don't eat for months naturally so you are sort of benefitting from this person's ignorance.

and that Chalcodes is super cool, if it stays that coloration that is the morph where the inner legs don't get that dark

Arilyna

Arachnopeon
I haven’t heard from her, so my t rescue may not happen... I’ve got a serious itch for a new one.. But thanks for the responses!

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I'm a bit late here, but here's my A. chalcodes setup. I would've liked to take a top-down shot but Biscuit was not having it - just wanted to bolt around like a maniac so here we are.

20201022_070915.jpg

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Terrible enclosure that is for an arboreal (tree spider) species. Needs something with more ground space and less height, and a hide and water dish.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
So I *might* be picking up a female a. Chalcodes on Saturday. The girl rehousing her said she hasn’t eaten in months and wants to do better for the t. 🤷🏻‍♀️ A spider and enclosure for 50$ doesn’t seem too bad and I can use the enclosure for something else. View attachment 363480 View attachment 363481 View attachment 363482
I keep my A. Chalcodes in a horizontal tank with many inches of substrate
Anything horizontal with ALOT of substrate should do
since they’re a dry specie I keep mine fully dry apart from her water dish with a cork bark hide and lots of leaves
as long as you keep her in a horizontal tank thats at least 3 times her legspan with low humidity she should be completely fine