A. chalcodes on its back

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Chico (or Chica) is on its back right now. I added some water to the cage to bring up humidity. This is my first molt of a non-sling, so I'm pretty excited. My slings get through it in a few hours, tops - Chico/a has been on its back for 2 hours and no break on the exo yet. It's about 2.5" now and is missing a palp & 1st leg. Can't wait to see its new lenght and nubs!

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey D-man,

Good luck with the molt. Hopefully the missing leg and palp will regenerate( that is still a miracle to me how they can do that).

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck...I hope the little beastie pulls through okay with some new appendages.:D

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Thanks, guys!

The carapace just popped!!!!

I wonder, though.... some people say humidity is overrated, but, how important is humidity during a molt? Hmmmm? :?

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: Thanks, guys!

Originally posted by D-Man

I wonder, though.... some people say humidity is overrated, but, how important is humidity during a molt? Hmmmm? :?
I don't know. My Lasiodorides striatus molted just fine without any excess humidity added to the vivarium. And she was fine while her exoskeleton hardened to. Within 12 hours after being in a molt position she was her little pisspot, anti-social self. Of course I think the key is that while in pre-molt she sucked in alot of water.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If raising the humidity won't hurt and might help then I'd make an effort to raise humidity as long as I could do it without stressing the molting T out.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
All done

The molt was complete about an hour ago, so it took about 3-1/2 hours. I thought the regenerated palp & leg would be just nubs - they look pretty full. I don't have a good look yet 'cause its tanning in the back end of its pvc hide where its warmer. I keep it in the 80's all the time; usually about 60-65% humidity, but when it flipped over on its bed of silk, I kicked it up to 85%.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sweet that you got to watch your A. chalcodes molt.
I have at least 6 Aphonopelma sp. and have never seen any of them molt. It seems like their never going too. I've had two of them for over a year without molting. I guess thats why they live for 25+ years.

Did you get any pictures?

ET

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Dead camera

Originally posted by MrT
Sweet that you got to watch your A. chalcodes molt. Did you get any pictures?

ET
My camera needs a battery, plus I need a better lens. I have a Kodak digital. I wish a caught it on pics!

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Thanks, guys!

for many t's (aphonopelmas, brachypelmas, grammostolas, to name a few spp.) I feel as long as they have a water dish and are able to hydrate themselves as needed than the lack of humidity is not worth worrying or stressing over EXCEPT for lings and smallish juvs IMHO. I am of the opinion that adding water either by misting or wetting the substrate after the molt has started will only stress the tarantula. I keep the above spp. on bone dry coconut noir (forest bed) with a water dish available at all times and never or extremely rarely have had any molt problems. other more humidity sensitive t's are another subject.....
:D
Ed

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Bad molts

It would probably make more sense to hear the accounts of people that experienced bad molts. Sounds like an idea!

Is your chalcodes a juvie?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Bad molts

It would probably make more sense to hear the accounts of people that experienced bad molts. Sounds like an idea!

Is your chalcodes a juvie?
she is an adult female I got @ the Vivarium in Berkeley many years ago, she molts about once a year or so.
when I was having problems with phorid flies I let everything dry out for up to 6 weeks, including the water dishes.....had several molts without problems even then. this was really pushing their limits and I would NOT recommend this practice (I was determined to get rid of those #%@&* flies once and for all!)
Ed

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Dead camera

My camera needs a battery, plus I need a better lens. I have a Kodak digital. I wish a caught it on pics!
Thats to bad, maybe next time.

Heres a pic. of mine. About a 6" legspan and very mello.

Ernie

Attachments

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
extremely mellow

I accidentally cupped mine after catching it when it slipped off the side of its cage and I didn't get a bite for the stupid reaction. It fell to floor after bouncing on the desk the first time it slipped. I don't let him/her cruise on the edge anymore.